U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 09:45 PM

267 posts, read 1,067,209 times

Advertisements

What great advice you all have. I must say that when I read your posts, I feel very unprepared for ANYTHING to come. My husband and I actually argue about getting ready for a hurricane. He has that superman philosophy that nothing will happen and is in total denial of the damages that hurricanes can do. He refuses to get any plywood or anything fo the windows, thinks that I am crazy to worry about the fact that we have no interior rooms or any rooms without a window. All of our closets are upstairs too. I am embarrased at this. He keeps saying that we don't have the $$ to do all of this stuff when nothing could happen. Does he realize that if something does happen, it will cost much much more. Having not lived through any type of dangerous weather, I think he is just in plain denial. You would think that an educated man who travels alot with his wife and three small children would have more brains!!! Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get him to be more aware and prepared.??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 05:56 PM

573 posts, read 2,277,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemom View Post
Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get him to be more aware and prepared.??
You could show him some damage from some of the hurricanes we had over the last 3 years. Not to say, all houses without plywood/shutters got damaged, but wouldn't you rather cover your windows just in case debri starts flying (which it does)? That's what the window protection is there for, not to keep your roof on, it's to make sure nothing flies in your house.

Another note, some houses were completely demolished even with proper protection, but what happened was the roof was old and ready to go, water got in and the rest is history.

I would highly recommend taking "h" season more seriously, you can never be too prepared.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,521 times
Default If You Are A Pet Owner Get The "rescue Rover" Pet Alert Decals

Hi:

If you are a pet owner, we suggest that you place the "Rescue Rover" Pet Alert Decals on your windows so that the firefighters and rescue workers know that you have pets inside so that your pets can be saved in case of a fire or emergency. visit: Pet Safety Alert, Inc. or call 561-502-2194

Old 07-28-2007, 04:59 PM

72 posts, read 280,896 times
Minniemom, best cure for him is to take him into the next hurricane devastated area when it occurs, drop him off and see how he fares for a week with the heat, no toilets, no water, curfew, the heat, government issued MRE's to eat, no hot showers, no clean clothes.....did I mention the heat?

I'm not a cranky person, but after Rita hit us when we were in Louisiana....well, after only four days of no showers, sweaty, dirty clothes, having to use a bucket lined with plastic bags for a toilet, and sleeping in 100 degree heat, I was not only smelly, tired and hot, I was crankified to the max.

It doesn't take a ton of money for basic supplies if you pick up a few extra everytime you grocery shop. I kept supplies in plastic bins in a linen closet. Water from Walmart is about 59 cents a gallon here, and they fit under beds.

Pack of batteries here, jug of water there, a flashlight, a rain poncho, it's a few dollars extra at a time and it does build up your supplies eventually....it gives you a little peace of mind and it saves you standing in line trying to get it along with everyone else in your town when a hurricane threatens.

One thing I have to advise, if you even THINK your town is going to be hit, for heavens sake, THROW OUT ALL THE MEAT PRODUCTS IN YOUR FRIDGE. While bread may mold and dairy turn sour, there is nothing I can say that will describe the ghastly SMELL of hot, rotten meat that has sat in your unpowered fridge(or freezer) for a week.....it swells and swells inside whatever it is, the smell is near impossible to get out of your appliances, and it permeates everything in the house.....ghastly, horrible, ECH.

The money you lose in tossing meat is nothing compared to the cost of a new fridge, because the old one now smells like rotten flesh everytime you open the door. Shuddering, recalling it....

Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 PM

4,408 posts, read 9,257,403 times
Our summer thunderstorms in Tampa are worse than most Cat 1 storms. If you're not in a flood zone or a mobile home, you're better off staying home and not getting stuck on the road. And yes, unless you leave DAYS ahead of the storm, you will do like many of my family did in past storms - sit the storm out on the freeway. Needless to say, we no longer evacuate if not in an evacuation zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or