U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:37 PM

97 posts, read 350,178 times

Advertisements

It is NOT time for a storm to be brewing on the Atlantic. That is not supposed to happen until June 1 of every year in fla.

For those who want to move to FL or already live in FL... enjoy!

For those (like me) who have moved out or will never live in FL.... you REALLY enjoy!

No wonder I will never go back to the Hurricane State or Fire State.... whichever name you think FL's official name should be!! No more high insurance, expensive utilities, no more hassles..... i love my life!!

Andrea Becomes Season's First Named Storm

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The first named storm of the year formed Wednesday off the southeastern U.S. coast, more than three weeks before the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season, forecasters said.

Here you are in Florida:

http://www.wftv.com/2007/0509/13285105_240X180.jpg (broken link)

Here is me in my RV, enjoying life and not giving a crap about how bad the FL weather is and having to drive at 5mph because of smoke on the roads:

Ahhhhhhhhhhh life is good NOT living in fla. I love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 03:14 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,647,583 times
This is the time to start reviewing your hurricane checklist. Hurricanes are going to happen, plenty of warning, so be ready and have a plan of attack....

Hurricane Kit

* Flashlights and extra bulbs
* Battery-operated radio
* Fully charged battery-operated lanterns. Don't get candles and kerosene lanterns. They are fire hazards.
* Extra batteries
* Matches
* Clock (wind-up or battery-operated)
* Plastic garbage bags
* Working fire extinguishers
* Scissors
* Clean change of clothes, rain gear, sturdy swamp boots
* An inexpensive rabbit-ears television antenna to use if cable goes out

House Checklist

* Gather supplies early
* Store loose outdoor items
* Anchor small sheds
* Trim dead branches from trees and shrubs
* Put chorine in pool - protect filter motor
* Tape or board up windows
* Fill gas tank of cars - park in safe place
* Remove valuables (furniture and rugs) from the floor
* Move furniture away from window - cover with plastic
* Put important documents in waterproof container
* Get extra cash (ATMs may lose power)
* Keep tuned to Bay News 9 for the latest information

Food and Water

* Bottled water. Figure on a gallon of drinking water per person per day.
* Shelf-package juice and milk boxes
* Canned and powdered milk
* Beverages (powdered or canned, fruit juices, instant coffee, tea)
* Prepared foods (canned soups, beef, spaghetti, tuna, chicken, ham, corned beef hash, fruit cocktail, packaged pudding)
* Canned vegetables and fruits
* Dried fruits
* Snacks (crackers, cookies, hard candy, nuts)
* Snack spreads (peanut butter, cheese spreads, jelly)
* Cereals
* Raw vegetables
* Sugar, salt, pepper
* Bread
* Dry and canned pet food
* Right now, buy all the nonperishable foods you will need, put them in a box and leave them alone, except to rotate stock. Stock up on ice and pack coolers as early as possible. Freezing them ahead of time is less hassle than fighting for them at a store.
* Before the storm, turn your refrigerator and freezer to the coldest setting and drape blankets over them, but keep bottom vents clear. Then move perishables you'll use first into ice chests to limit opening of refrigerators.
* Designate one cooler you will open regularly; fill that with drinks and less perishable items. Set aside other coolers for more perishable things such as meats and open them only rarely.
* Crank up your ice maker, break out the ice cube trays or fill jugs with water, so you can be making and storing ice in your freezer or coolers around the clock.
* Store cubes or small blocks of ice in sealed bags and containers so you can drink it after it melts.
* Clean your bathtub out, then wash it with bleach. Rinse thoroughly. If possible, line it with plastic. Then fill it and as many clean bottles as you can with drinking water. Fill your toilet tank; you'll want it to flush after the storm.

Hardware

* Hand tools - hammer, screwdrivers to use now, shovel and *****x for after the storm
* Power screwdriver
* 4x8-foot sheets of plywood 5/8-inch to 1/2-inch thick to put over windows. Ask for exterior plywood.
* 1/4 machine screw sockets and screws
* Plastic sheeting to cover furniture
* Rope
* Sturdy working gloves
* Duct tape to waterproof items; masking tape isn't strong enough.
* Canvas tarps
* Nails. There are many kinds, so look over your home now and determine what you will need.

Medical Needs

* Medic-alert tags
* Insect-repellent sprays and candles
* Feminine hygiene items
* Sunscreen
* Soap
* First-aid kit and first-aid handbook
* A supply of any prescription drugs
* Extra over-the-counter medicine (for colds, allergies, cough)
* Children's medicines
* Aspirin
* Bandages
* Adhesive tape
* Cotton-tipped swabs
* Antiseptic solution
* Sterile rolls, bandages
* Ear drops
* Thermometer
* Tweezers
* Needles
* Disinfectant

Baby Needs

* Disposable diapers, wipes
* Formula, baby food
* Diaper rash ointment, petroleum jelly
* Baby medicines (pain, cold, cough)
* Medicine dropper

Emergency Toilet

* Small can with tight lid
* Plastic bags for liners
* Disinfectant or bleach
* Deodorizer

Kitchen Supplies

* Plastic to line bathtub to fill with water
* Jugs or containers to store water
* Water purification tablets (usually available only in drug stores), 2 percent tincture of iodine or ordinary household bleach, which contains hypochlorite as its only active ingredient - not bleach with soap, lemon or other additives.
* Manual can opener
* Bottle opener
* Matches
* Pocketknife - preferably Swiss Army style
* Camp stove or other cooking device and plenty of fuel. Use canned fuel, not charcoal or gas
* Disposable dishes
* Ice chests or coolers
* Paper plates, napkins, cutlery, cups

Old 05-09-2007, 03:27 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,601,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingDude
It is NOT time for a storm to be brewing on the Atlantic. That is not supposed to happen until June 1 of every year in fla.
I have heard at least three different weathermen now say that storms like this are not "uncommon" this time of year.

What do you think? That nature has a calendar and says, "nope, can't form any big storms until June 1st!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinDude
Here you are in Florida:

http://www.wftv.com/2007/0509/13285105_240X180.jpg (broken link)
From the looks of this pic, looks like most of "Florida" is clear while Georgia and the Carolinas are taking the brunt right now.

But whatever. Glad you're having fun in oh-so-great Wyoming. You and the 515 thousand or so people who can stand to live there year long just continue to amuse yourselves with whatever it is you do out there and let us contend with our own business, mmkay?

Old 05-09-2007, 04:48 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,647,583 times

Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM

670 posts, read 1,557,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This is the time to start reviewing your hurricane checklist. Hurricanes are going to happen, plenty of warning, so be ready and have a plan of attack....

Hurricane Kit

* Flashlights and extra bulbs
* Battery-operated radio
* Fully charged battery-operated lanterns. Don't get candles and kerosene lanterns. They are fire hazards.
I could only rate your post positive one time. I would have clicked multiple times... good post

Old 05-09-2007, 04:56 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,698,244 times
Local6, the cbs affiliate for Orlando and Daytona just perdicted land fall Friday and that by the time it gets here, it won't be much to think about...I am assuming because of the cold water its over...

As for traveling dude...I have to laugh...if you prefer the weather and life in Wyomning, I can see why you didn't like it here, the two places couldn't be more different...

I seem to remember you were driving to Texas...I think you will find that brutal summers and the landscape going up in smoke are pretty common place there...when I used to dispatch at a police depart and for 4 fire departments, they always braced for AND dreaded the summers...all it took was for someone to throw out a cigarette from the car and up the fire would go...or what was worse was hot grease from the trains would fly off the track and start a fire in an area that was difficult for the fire engines to access because of no roads...There were many times I have to keep the Railroad on the phone, making sure they were aware of the fire trucks on or near the tracks so they wouldn't get plowed into by the trains...

Alot of people say they can't deal with the hurricanes here, I would MUCH rather deal with that then the hot dry summers in Texas or the OH MY GOD snow and cold freezing weather in New England...along about the time those poor people are shoveling snow from their driveway, I will be at the beach...

In fact in January I spent a week on Sanibel Island, basking in the sun, picking up sea shells, going boating, while many of the northern states dug themselves out AND people out in places like Denver suffered one blizzard after another...

Old 05-09-2007, 05:00 PM

8,204 posts, read 32,917,944 times
Default Not a big deal......

This is simply a tropical storm and barely one at that (really more a "subtropical").

It does happen this early in the season, but it's not the usual pattern, and it's no predictor of the season ahead (we are predicted to have a busy season, but this storm has no influence on that prediction).

The only downside is that it won't bring barely enough rain...too bad, we really it need it here in NE FL for the fires in Bradford and Clay counties that are burning...this storm barely watered my lawn today and it is weakening.

No damage expected except a bit of beach erosion in Ponte Vedra.

Nothing to worry about !

Old 05-09-2007, 05:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,652,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post

I seem to remember you were driving to Texas...I think you will find that brutal summers and the landscape going up in smoke are pretty common place there...when I used to dispatch at a police depart and for 4 fire departments, they always braced for AND dreaded the summers...all it took was for someone to throw out a cigarette from the car and up the fire would go...or what was worse was hot grease from the trains would fly off the track and start a fire in an area that was difficult for the fire engines to access because of no roads...There were many times I have to keep the Railroad on the phone, making sure they were aware of the fire trucks on or near the tracks so they wouldn't get plowed into by the trains...

Alot of people say they can't deal with the hurricanes here, I would MUCH rather deal with that then the hot dry summers in Texas
We just came from 5 glorious yrs in Fort Hood, TX..about 40 miles north of Austin.

I think everyone should live in central TX in August. If you've been there during that time, enough said

We were at the park in FEBRUARY [high 90s, as dry as ever, & the wind making it feel like an oven] this year nonetheless when a brush fire broke out across the street. 8 homes had severe fire damage. It was crazy.

And there is a major rail that travels through Fort Hood {due to being military & transport to Beaumont] & ALL the time on the news hearing about blocked crossings b/c off sparks setting off a fire.

It is so barren & hot in TX for a good 4-5 straight months that just looking too long at the brown "grass" will cause a fire.

Last August saw 30 days of 100+ temps. Not a fun time.

But, hey, there are die-hard Texans who crave the stuff. I'm getting ready to go on the daily night walk w/ my family & there will be a breeze..something central TX never sees...we love that breeeze It ain't perfect here, but it has a breeze

And that WY traveling dude...thanks for giving the world your license plate number. That is smart.

Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,698,244 times
I was in Texas Christmas of 2005, when I first got there, it was so cold, I realized that my back had not indeed gotten better over the years...I had just been in a warmer climate...then just about the time I thought I would freeze to death...it got hot AND the whole DFW metroplex was either ON fire or on a fire watch...they banned fireworks for the new year and threatened to charge people who unintentionally started fires by tossing out a cigarette or such...

There were times that because of my asthma, I had to stop and pull over because of a coughing fit..

I was NEVER so glad to load up my U-haul and put that smoke in my rear view mirror...I got in the habit of taking LONG showers with lots of HOT steam and one of those tablets you put in the shower that smells like Eucalyptus...I have asthma, fires are torture for me...

Since its been so smokey here, I don't leave the house, I still am having symptoms but I keep telling myself the balmy rainy tropical summer will be here SOON...

Old 05-09-2007, 06:11 PM

97 posts, read 350,178 times
Default Storm path.... signs of early and major hurricane season...

...so brace yourself Florida!! Get your supplies NOW or get ready to "knuckle up" over a bottle of water when they announce the hurricane!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT01/refresh/AL0107W5+gif/145632W_sm.gif (broken link)

But you know, since Florida is burning, this rain is a Godsent!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or