U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:13 PM

97 posts, read 350,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
There were times that because of my asthma, I had to stop and pull over because of a coughing fit..

I was NEVER so glad to load up my U-haul and put that smoke in my rear view mirror...I got in the habit of taking LONG showers with lots of HOT steam and one of those tablets you put in the shower that smells like Eucalyptus...I have asthma, fires are torture for me...

Since its been so smokey here, I don't leave the house, I still am having symptoms but I keep telling myself the balmy rainy tropical summer will be here SOON...
Get used to fires because they happen a lot in Fla.

"Balmy tropical summer"? You are kiddin, right? The summer in fla is not balmy... it is hot and miserable.

And this 3-week early tropical system is a mere preview of the hurricane bonanza you guys will 'enjoy' this "balmy summer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,653,382 times
Few pics from today:
http://imageserver1.textamerica.com/user.images.x/14/IMG_465514/_0509/T520070509074032596.jpg (broken link)
http://imageserver1.textamerica.com/user.images.x/14/IMG_465514/_0508/T520070508113359686.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 PM

17,288 posts, read 26,611,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingDude
Storm path.... signs of early and major hurricane season...
Says who? You?

This "subtropical storm" is no worse (and indeed, 10X better) than the "conventional" storms that ravage the plain states each Spring bringing F5tornadoes that kill dozens.

Buncha chicken littles around here sometimes, I swear!!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,106 times
Default True Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by House4Sale View Post
It'll help with the fires. Incident., those who put FL down because of hurricanes, well, look at the entire weather picture and realize, the weather is a constant and always has been. Kansas has tornados, other parts of the US have floods. CA and FL, fires. It's a fact of life. I'm more concerned about over-population and our using up of natural resources. That is a good part of the problem. We are using up water and land supplies and messing with the eco-system. We don't need big families anymore, people for those big families are using up resources that they will need to live on.

I hail from upstate NY and have lived in FL for about 15 years and the hurricanes are nothing compared to tornados and other weather conditions as we get ample time to prepare and half of them don't even hit.

After digging out of too many ice storms, I'd rather deal with 6 months of maybe a hurricane will hit.
This mobile home located in central Florida went through all three hurricanes in 2004, All three storms came right through Orlando, within a short time of reaching land they all slow down, not only do you have days to get ready, but they are so slow you can wait until the last minute to leave, unlike tornadoes. Being a Native of Florida, I know what to expect; when these thunder storms move in, we pay close attention to the news, and are usually ready with a plan.
Gators - we just don't swim in fresh water lakes that are warm, around Nov the water starts to cool enough, here in Florida we have many under water springs that stay a constant 72 degrees, the biggest problem with Florida I can tell you, it's not the storms, it's the bugs, especially if you live near woods, the misquitos can carry encephalitis, and more. if you ware DEET bug spray you will be ok, and the water, as many in Florida know 3-4 decades ago toxic land fills covered up along I-4 everyone knew it was only a matter of a few decades that some of this would eventually make it to out water supply. O and one more thing, the phone solicitors here in Florida are many.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:47 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,581,576 times
We aren't getting much rain from this system light drizzles yesterday with maybe a 5 min down pour.
It is 85 miles off shore from us right now I was just out for my walk and we had some wind but thats about it. I know the players in Ponte Vedra at "The players Championship" are hoping it won't rain much today.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:49 PM

13,387 posts, read 41,765,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingDude View Post

And this 3-week early tropical system is a mere preview of the hurricane bonanza you guys will 'enjoy' this "balmy summer".
That's subtropical to you, Mr TravelingDude.
Subtropical Storm Andrea dissipated off the U.S. Atlantic Coast on Thursday....All warnings were dropped and the system was downgraded to a depression on Thursday when its sustained winds weakened to 35 mph (55 kph).
link (broken link)

Old 05-10-2007, 03:18 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,653,382 times
Lightbulb Expert sees 'volatile' storm season

Two national hurricane experts said Tuesday that they expect 2007 to be an especially active season, producing up to 17 tropical storms and hurricanes and a "well above average" possibility of at least one striking the United States. During the Second Annual AccuWeather Hurricane Summit, a gathering of more than 100 weather experts and academics to discuss the coming season with members of the energy industry, whose business can be severely affected by storms.

There is a 74 percent chance of a major hurricane striking the United States, with a 49 percent chance it will hit along the Gulf Coast between the Florida Panhandle and Brownsville. Storms reaching Category 3 or greater on the hurricane scale are considered major, with winds up to 130 mph.

WOW, Lets hope for a calm season and be prepare for the worst. Planning is the key for each one of us....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or