U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:17 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,424,321 times

Advertisements

lol- this is a good source of amusement. No- Palm Beach never gets hit with hurricanes. Not ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
In our hemisphere, all hurricanes spin counter-clockwise. They are cyclonic storms, and cyclonic=counter-clockwise. In the South Atlantic, a storm would spin clockwise. Tornados spin counter-clockwise as well. (There are accounts of tornados that had a clockwise rotation - but it's very rare.)

Regarding storm surge - this is a problem on the east coast as well as the gulf. However, there are a couple of areas off the east coast that may lessen it - a bit. This was the case with Andrew. Although the storm had a surge, the height of the surge would have been even worse had a similar storm struck the gulf coast. The shelf off of the coast there causes surge to pile up higher.

But if you live on the water, you must be prepared for storm surge.

Being inland doesn't always guarantee safety from tropical systems. Charlie made a mess in central FL - there were blue tarps on roofs even there. Look at Floyd in inland NC - was much worse than Floyd's damage in FL. It was horrific.

A lot depends on the hurricane - its track, speed, and also how much rain it's dumping. A rainy system that stalls can cause awful flooding (Allison in TX). Flooding is usually the worst problem (but with Andrew, the FL damage was all wind).

The best way to understand hurricanes is to read about them. There are excellent preparation tips on this board (Sunrico has a great post on this). And there are plenty of books - two excellent ones are: Florida's Hurricane History by Jay Barnes, and Encyclopedia of Hurricanes, Typhoons and Cyclones by David Longshore.
I remember hurricane Andrew came over to sw Fl. I lived on the Caloosahatchee then, Andrew sucked most of the water out of the river! Donna did the same. We were lucky with Charley too, all wind damage. I have a pic somewhere with a tree on my house!

Old 05-22-2007, 11:38 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,233,408 times
There are alot of things to consider on this. Whether there is alot of rain or mostly just wind? lIf there's alot of rain, then obviously it's better if it is moving quickly. And as far as losing strength, Orlando is in the middle and parts of it got hit REALLY hard a couple years ago with that one that started on the west side and went across the state. Then it went up and hit alot of the eastern seaboard as well.

Old 05-22-2007, 12:38 PM

6,563 posts, read 13,192,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
There are alot of things to consider on this. Whether there is alot of rain or mostly just wind? lIf there's alot of rain, then obviously it's better if it is moving quickly. And as far as losing strength, Orlando is in the middle and parts of it got hit REALLY hard a couple years ago with that one that started on the west side and went across the state. Then it went up and hit alot of the eastern seaboard as well.
That would be Charlie and it crossed over 200 miles across Florida and still caused a good amount of damage on the eastern side.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:11 PM

262 posts, read 865,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
That would be Charlie and it crossed over 200 miles across Florida and still caused a good amount of damage on the eastern side.
Oh yeah, Charlie spread misery along its entire path. Tampa Bay got very, very lucky - but unfortunately S/W FL took the bullet.

Quote:
as far as losing strength, Orlando is in the middle and parts of it got hit REALLY hard a couple years ago with that one that started on the west side and went across the state. Then it went up and hit alot of the eastern seaboard as well.
Orlando barely escaped a far worse hit back in '99. Remember Floyd - sitting off of E. Central FL looking like a monster. That storm was 600 miles across (yes, really) - the thing totally dwarfed the state. And for a day or so, it seemed it was going to track west, right across the midsection.

Disney actually closed for a day - a very rare occurrence. The mets on tv here were shaking - it was that frightening. It would have been a catastrophe - but it finally moved north. Let's hope for nothing like that - ever again.

Footnote - Floyd eventually hit NC, close to where Dennis struck. And the damage was well into the interior of the state - "inland flooding" was horrible.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:24 PM

6,563 posts, read 13,192,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post

Orlando barely escaped a far worse hit back in '99. Remember Floyd - sitting off of E. Central FL looking like a monster. That storm was 600 miles across (yes, really) - the thing totally dwarfed the state. And for a day or so, it seemed it was going to track west, right across the midsection.

Disney actually closed for a day - a very rare occurrence. The mets on tv here were shaking - it was that frightening. It would have been a catastrophe - but it finally moved north. Let's hope for nothing like that - ever again.

Footnote - Floyd eventually hit NC, close to where Dennis struck. And the damage was well into the interior of the state - "inland flooding" was horrible.
Yeah, I remember that one... Caused widespread panic in Central Fla.... IIRC it was a Cat 5 when it was off the coast of Florida and hit NC as a Cat 3 or 4..... Can't quite remember.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:14 AM

109 posts, read 365,779 times
Default Wow and Thank you

Thank you for all the comments. I started this thread with the intent to answer some questions I've thought about lately as I'm zeroing in on my area of choice in Florida, Namely PBC.

It seems wise to build or purchase a home with as much attention to strength as needed to withstand a Cat5. Flooding seems to cause the most damage and plans to limit it's destruction is necessary. Having a back-up generator wired in a great idea as well. Yes it will cost but for peace of mind I will budget gladly.

I don't plan on "high tailing" after a Hurricane incident or two, or more, rather I intend to "buck up" just like my brothers in Jax, Gainesville, and Plantation are. In Missouri you deal with Tornado's, 100+ mph straight winds, floods, ice storms, blizzards, hail, negative degree winter days, and 100+ degree summer temps. In my heart of hearts though, I feel all Missouri's disasters and harsh weather pale in comparison to a "major hurricane" so we will see how that goes.

Thanks again for the links, serious comments and answers.

Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or