U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:54 AM

278 posts, read 850,782 times

Advertisements

I think if adults want to ride out the storm...then it is certainly up to them. However, if you have kids, the smart thing is to have some 'hurricane run money' saved up...and get out of harms way. I've lived in Florida all my life. Most of the time you'll be fine at home. However, what if a storm surge happens or deadly winds hit your house? It depends on where you live as to how serious of a problem this can be. Hindsight will mean absolutely nothing if one of your children were hurt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 AM

52 posts, read 306,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
However, what if a storm surge happens or deadly winds hit your house?
With Charley, we DID not get the storm surge that was projected, we did have some "Run Money" but no one was running because there were no orders given to get out, besides we didn't have time to get out, when the word came that Charley had turned and was coming right at us there was not time to do anything, all we had time to do was two more things to help protect the house and that was board up garage door window and kitchen window which later proved to be a good thing, then get in the pantry and just hang on.

During Hurricane season I always kept two 5 gal cans of gas in the garage full, and everytime we took the boat out I would use that gas then just refill, but always had gas on hand should we ever need it for the GENERATOR, which I still have up here.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:52 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,048,114 times
I rode out Hurricane Wilma in Naples (direct hit) and I'll tell ya it was scary.. It hit in the very early morning hours and the wind was intense, sometimes we could hear the rafters creaking and bending in the roof, at some points we thought we'd loose the roof. Our garage door was pounding so hard that we thought we'd loose it or it'd break in half. I had actually initally evacuated for Wilma, and then they said it was going to turn so we came BACK to Naples with the impression it would not be a direct hit.. lol you can never win. The people across the street from us did not bolt down the wood over their windows and doors in the back tight enought and about mid storm they were ripped off the house, and the rest of the windows imploded from the pressure. It took half the back of the house with it and they ended up riding out the storm with their three children in a closet with a matress over them. Its no fun, it if looks bad get out!

Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 AM

We caught the back side of WIlma, no real damage, but high winds and roof that just rummbled, tore up the tarps and canvas on the boat.

Let's take Charley and intensify it and make it about the size of Katrina, same path etc, ok folks it time to grab the madd money and make a dash for it? I have consider this for some time, but where the hell are you going to go, I-75, considering everyone else that is wanting to get out from Marco, Naples, Bonita Springs, FT Myers, Cape Coral, Pine Island to name a few, I-75 would be a ZOO, and you would be lucky to make Tampa at best.

I have seen so much construction and such that the one thing that really bothers me is that the State is not doing anythng (fast) to make 75 at least three lanes N & S to make it a bit easier to get out, I think I would rather put up with the stress of it all in my house than on 75 in the middle of a big blow.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:36 PM

278 posts, read 850,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homey View Post
With Charley, we DID not get the storm surge that was projected, we did have some "Run Money" but no one was running because there were no orders given to get out, besides we didn't have time to get out, when the word came that Charley had turned and was coming right at us there was not time to do anything,
I remember 2004. It was the year I got so tired of evacuating until I finally just left all our 'get away' stuff packed in my trunk. During this period of time....there was another suggestion of evacuation in the Jacksonville Beach area. I left, with the trunk that was previously packed, and headed back to my parents home in north Alachua County, Florida. It ended up that THEY were hit and we were all there without electricity and I couldn't get home because all the gas stations were closed.....but the home I evacuated from in Jacksonville only produced a small limb in the yard and no loss of power.

I guess this is why answers regarding hurricanes are so hard to answer. It all just depends!!

I'm editing because I forgot to address your evacuation problems. I think most of the country isn't aware how hard it is to get out when an area is evacuated. The interstates are BRUTAL and there are no hotel rooms available unless you drive all the way to Nebraska. And if you don't have any funds saved up....you are SOL!!! It's not like the hotels along the way offer you a happy hurricane rate and free meals. I'm lucky to have family to go to with an alternate route.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ara^bess View Post
The interstates are BRUTAL and there are no hotel rooms available unless you drive all the way to Nebraska. And if you don't have any funds saved up....you are SOL!!! It's not like the hotels along the way offer you a happy hurricane rate and free meals.
A normal drive up the Interstate would be let's say 5 hours just to reach GA., no way would you ever see that during an evacuation, one accident will back it up for miles. And the hotels do offer you a Happy Hurricane Rates and Free Meals as long as you have a CC that is not maxed out

We just realized that it is no big deal to start when the season started and stock up on the Hurricane supplies, you can always use them up afterwards and start over again, but at least you have something, and make friends with some one who has a nice Hurricane proof house....

Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 39,959 times
Hi! I am from Brazil, and I have never seen a hurricane, or tornado, or anything of the kind. I don't even know what to do. If I should hide or run...

Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,266,987 times
Here is before and after of my drive.. I have several more but they have my children in them and for safety purposes won't share that.. but here is the drive.. The forest came up to our home. We really had to leave and many in our neighborhood decided to stay.. once I knew Charley was coming, I went outside and looked at the 90 foot plus sand pines waving in the wind and actually swaying back and forth.. I knew we needed to leave for fear of them landing on my home. It was the right decision for our family. Yes we all suffered that is so true...

Old 01-14-2008, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 39,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Here is before and after of my drive.. I have several more but they have my children in them and for safety purposes won't share that.. but here is the drive.. The forest came up to our home. We really had to leave and many in our neighborhood decided to stay.. once I knew Charley was coming, I went outside and looked at the 90 foot plus sand pines waving in the wind and actually swaying back and forth.. I knew we needed to leave for fear of them landing on my home. It was the right decision for our family. Yes we all suffered that is so true...

OMG!!!!!!!!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Here is before and after of my drive..
DAMN - What a differance a Hurrican can make, you made the wise choice.

All the pine trees on our street were stripped, our last trip back, I see that they are starting to recover and regrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or