U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hurricane Sub-Forum Poll
Would like a Hurricane sub-forum 47 73.44%
We don't need a Hurricane sub-forum 16 25.00%
Don't care about this topic 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:56 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,590,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headn4thehills View Post
Helpin to save the environment baby
You need them when you have no way to recharge them. They cost about 5 times as much as a regular battery and run down in half the time. Not really practical in an emergency situation. Actually I have a solar recharger that works well. The last time we were without power we used our garden solar lights. We just put them out during the day and used them inside the house at night. They worked great.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,609,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
You need them when you have no way to recharge them. They cost about 5 times as much as a regular battery and run down in half the time. Not really practical in an emergency situation. Actually I have a solar recharger that works well. The last time we were without power we used our garden solar lights. We just put them out during the day and used them inside the house at night. They worked great.
Great idea, macguy! Thanks for the tip.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:34 PM

193 posts, read 455,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post

Now THAT is a very slick Idea. I usually gas up the generator, get rid of potential UFO's lawn furniture etc etc. FIll the propane tanks, you'll need a place to cook. Freeze lots of bottled water, canned foods, cash, ATM's don't work without power, cigarettes and a fresh bottle of bourbon!

I lost a house to Charley in 2004, basically you are on your own for a few days. I hate to say this but depending where you are it might not be a bad idea to have a shotgun too. Waterfront houses were looted by both land and sea down there. A warning shot can work wonders. You could hear them at night.

Old 06-01-2007, 02:52 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,734,157 times
So far great inputs. Lets try to keep it as an informative thread....

Tropical Storm Barry is out in the Gulf....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT02/refresh/AL0207S_sm2+gif/204024P_sm.gif (broken link)

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT02/refresh/AL0207W5_sm2+gif/204024W_sm.gif (broken link)

Last edited by sunrico90; 06-01-2007 at 03:37 PM..

Old 06-01-2007, 03:13 PM

web site for supermarkets with generators in Florida: <b>SEARCH: GROCERY STORES WITH GENERATORS</b>: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Old 06-01-2007, 03:19 PM

Florida's Storm Surge Zones, Evacuation Routes and Evacuation Zones

Florida DEM Disaster Preparedness Maps

Old 06-03-2007, 02:49 AM

22,573 posts, read 49,151,734 times
If it was a couple of months into the season, this could be a huge problem. As it is, it could be too low and the sea surface temperature and wind shear will not make it a problem for the United States.
Anyway, I thought I would show everyone what I am talking about regarding the impressive storm that popped off the coast of Africa last night.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:29 AM

975 posts, read 3,508,411 times
Is there any interest here in starting a sinkhole subforum as well?

Old 06-11-2007, 04:57 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,512,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Do you think that would be a good idea to add a hurricane sub-forum? We get a lot of questions about hurricanes and can be a very positive tool to disperse information before, during, and after a hurricane. Information is a great tool if we can get it out to the public. This could be a public service from the Forum management. Please remember that we do have hundreds of individuals that visit our Florida forum. Please vote and I will keep it open until 06/06/07 to allow all the Florida/visiting members to voice their view.

Moderator:

Please place a sticky so everyone gets a chance to provide feedback...

Thank you

Sunrico90
I'm glad that they added it on here.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
I'm glad that they added it on here.
I do believe this will provide a lot of info from and for all areas of the state. Great opportunity to benchmark ideas and provide assistance for others. If everyone supports and stays focus on the information giving idea we can make a great difference for others. 70% plus are supporting this forum that is great and as a group we can start making a positive input in this great concern for our great state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or