U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you evacuate?
A tropical storm scares me. 3 3.33%
When it's mandated. I'll leave immediatley. 19 21.11%
I procrastinate, maybe I won't have to leave. 5 5.56%
Cat 2 or 3, I've seen the damage. 16 17.78%
I'll be sitting in traffic. 0 0%
Cat 4 or 5 - Coming straight at my house! 26 28.89%
I ain't leavin'. 21 23.33%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:34 AM

16,643 posts, read 34,293,649 times

Advertisements

A lot of it has to do with if you have huge trees near your home. Many times the house will hold up to the wind just fine, but sometimes people do get crushed by falling trees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 07:17 PM

2,160 posts, read 6,926,466 times
Default plan ahead!

Folks...

There are many posts about when an evacuation is ordered...that noone knows where to go. " I get told to drive into the middle of nowhere...then what???"

Everyone who chooses to live in a hurricane prone area (Anywhere within 2-3 miles of ANY coast in the eastern or southern US) absolutely needs to have a plan of where to go. Do not rely on the govt to hold you hand and tell you what to do. Plan ahead...have travel supplies bought ahead of time...have a specific destination in mind. If you do not have family you can stay with that live within a days drive...then a shelter is probably the next best bet. Hotels book very fast and can get very pricey if you need to stay for awhile.

We need to take better care of ourselves and not rely on the govt...who is not able to handle this kind of stuff.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,919,673 times
Alexei, that is an excellent post. Just like those of us who live in tornado alley and snowstorm alley~everyone is responsible for themselves and their neighbors. We all know the downfalls of where we live and the govt., weather service, Red Cross, etc. all do their part with their warnings and aid. But we still need to be the ones who take care of ourselves.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:10 PM

15,988 posts, read 31,862,265 times
Tornadoes are the most scariest thing a person can go through. The sirens alone give me chills.

Old 09-11-2008, 10:36 AM

24,198 posts, read 20,882,358 times
Just came back from wiring daughter money for another evac. They are going to Hot Springs, Arkansas this time. It will be at least a 6 hour drive without potty stops and with 4 kids, there are many of them plus all the roads in Texas there are already clogged with cars.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:28 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,919,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Just came back from wiring daughter money for another evac. They are going to Hot Springs, Arkansas this time. It will be at least a 6 hour drive without potty stops and with 4 kids, there are many of them plus all the roads in Texas there are already clogged with cars.
Tami, I hope your daughter stays safe. You've been through so much. Have you ever considered moving your family north?

Old 09-13-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Tami, I hope your daughter stays safe. You've been through so much. Have you ever considered moving your family north?
Jammie, both my daughter and I would love for her to come home (up North) but her husband likes it down there and what he wants he gets. It's too expensive up here for housing and my daughter has been the main provider for almost 19 years, I can't expect her to up and move them and neither can she. It's a very long story.

The kids left Thursday like I suggested. They wanted to leave yesterday but I "strongly" urged them not to wait and they listened(for a change!). They are in Hot Springs, Arkansas and loving it! First thing daughter said when we talked last night was that her stepdad and I have to come on vacation with them up there! She kept thanking me over and over for the money! They are not thinking about Ike very much at all. Just having a great time. Good, I am happy.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,282,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I also have a pet, and we did researched the hotels that take pets and we make reservations 3 or 4 days prior to the hurricane hits, this is normally a 3 or 4 hour drive and we have a "Safe Haven "for our family.
That's what I did too in 2004 and I can't stress it enough!

I would NEVER leave a pet, not an option, so extra planning needs to be done. I'm moving back to coastal FL (most likely) and would like to have two pets...so already I'm thinking of what I'll need to do and various options depending on storm tracks. Just cannot be too careful. I was just watching footage of a woman and her dog being rescued by helicopter...she is very, very lucky and should have evacuated.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:52 AM

According to Wunderground.com, the next week looks like the Atlantic will be TS free!!! This is the first time since Aug 15th we have not had a named storm out there! Yay! Some relief for poor people.

Old 09-14-2008, 01:38 PM

41 posts, read 198,630 times
I have been in this area my whole life. The only time where it was a bit serious was the hurricanes back in 2004. We stayed put during all 2 that came through our area. I don't really worry about it too much, the only thing that was annoying was the power being out for a week. I think if it was a category 4 or 5 coming straight for us I would consider evacuating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or