U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you stay if the state gets hit by regualr storms?
Yes 10 41.67%
Yes, Unless I personally get hit 3 12.50%
No 7 29.17%
Maybe 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM

3,981 posts, read 9,684,154 times

Advertisements

If we get hit regularly for the next few years by a decent size storm, say cat3+, will you stay?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 AM

right now, im trying to decide to stay or go. this season will be a deciding factor...

Old 06-06-2007, 11:20 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,734,157 times
We discussed this on the thread The big one", see below. I'm not leaving the state, will evacuate as required and HOI will replace my home....

I will agree that our government must do more for the tax payers, but we tax payers should listen and follow directions. Hurricanes are not a surprise, we have sufficient warning to make and take decisions on what to do prior to a hurricane approach land. Lost of life is a personal carelessness of the individual and at times the local/federal government.

Hurricanes are not an attraction is a natural phenomenon that will destroy everything on the path. So what you do? You move away from the path. I have experienced volcanoes in Iceland, mudslides in Utah, earthquakes in Panama, tornados in Texas, sand storms in Saudi Arabia (Al’s Garage), blizzards in North Dakota and Canada (negative -82 ambient temperature) hurricanes in Puerto Rico, Florida (stationed @ Homestead AFB) and Texas. The one that scared me the most was the blizzards of North Dakota.

Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-10-2007 at 05:50 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 11:25 AM

3,170 posts, read 8,376,710 times
I think it is a bit silly for people to suddenly get up in arms about hurricanes. It is Florida, a penninsula that sticks out into warm ocean waters. Hurricanes are a fact of life, you knew that before 2004 and you know that now. It isn't like in 2007 people are suddenly fleeing tornado alley because there are (shock!) tornadoes there.

I no longer live in Florida but if I were still there and wanted to stay, a hurricane wouldn't drive me out. Natural disasters happen, and I agree with sunrico: respect mother nature, be prepared, and heed all warnings that you get from the Nat'l Weather Service DAYS in advance of the storm.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:35 AM

its not the hurricanes so much that would drive me out. as stated, you can evacuate. its the fact that insurance will continue to go up after each and every one. THAT can force someone to move if nothing else!

unless your rich, and im not

YET!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,734,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
its not the hurricanes so much that would drive me out. as stated, you can evacuate. its the fact that insurance will continue to go up after each and every one. THAT can force someone to move if nothing else!
unless your rich, and im not
YET!
Your comment is true, but we must evaluate other locations and the natural disasters that take place around the country is very large. I have visited many of the 50 states and each one has an OMEN that hit either yearly or on a cyclical critiria. I had the opportunity to evacuate and be part of the EOC team during Andrew for the USAF team....still we got worst places and we can plan around a hurricane.....

I have experienced volcanoes in Iceland, mudslides in Utah, earthquakes in Panama, tornados in Texas, sand storms in Saudi Arabia (Al’s Garage), blizzards in North Dakota and Canada (negative -82 ambient temperature) hurricanes in Puerto Rico, Florida (stationed @ Homestead AFB) and Texas. The one that scared me the most was the blizzards of North Dakota.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:27 PM

anyone see the report in Florida Trend?

an interesting note, cause of the insane deal the legislature made to provide re-insurance, if Florida gets hit with a big hurricane in the next few years everyone in Florida will be required to pay up to help the insurance companies

it could be thousands PER PERSON whether you own a home or not!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or