U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 09:16 AM

50 posts, read 139,147 times

Advertisements

I, being from Northern Minnesota, know virtually nothing about hurricanes. Except for the science class/news info... Now living in Houston, and I remember a few years ago the Rita evacs, but we are moving to Galveston in August to go to UTMB. Galveston still isn't 100% after being ripped apart by Ike.. My questions: When do you evacuate Categories 1, 2, or 3+? Does living on a second floor mean your more safe? If evacuated and we left one vehicle on say the 4th floor of a parking ramp would it be ok? After a hurricane are renters likely to get their apartments fixed? I am a carpenter maybe my landlords would work with me on that? Also, is there a probability map of Galveston Areas likelihood of being impacted in the 2010 season?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:13 PM

392 posts, read 1,147,728 times
Your first question about evacuating..... It all depends if you're living in an evacuation zone and also for different category storms they will order evacuations for certain areas.
Second floor does not mean you're more safe if you're in an evacuation zone. If you're told to evacuate, leave...... Leaving a car on the 4th floor would probably be ok. I'm sure landlords will eventually get apartments repaired.. My suggestion is to get renters insurance to cover your personal belongings. No probability maps on who will may get impacted this 2010 season. They are predicting a very busy season though.

Check in with Galveston Emergency Management for more info on preparing, evacuation zones, etc. http://www.gcoem.org/

Old 05-10-2010, 07:28 PM

43,856 posts, read 45,985,921 times
Here is another good site regarding evacuating by car in Texas:
Tips on Evacuating from a Hurricane by Car in Houston by Donald Burger, Houston, TX

I lived on the beaches in Florida for many years of my life before moving to Orlando. I've also had to evacuate a number of times. A lot of this just depends on where you live and how close to the water you actually are. The good part about a hurricane is that you usually have plenty of advance warning that one is coming your way....so you can make preparations and pack your trunk early on. Truthfully, keeping your car full of gas and having money put away for this situation is MOST helpful!!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM

48,508 posts, read 87,608,680 times
Being in galveston you are exposed to coast surge as the worse danger. Its ot Florida whcih gets 45% of tropical systems that hit the US. That being said you want to evacuate when told. I have evacuated five times in 62 years living on coast of texas and only major damaging strom was rita. The danger is that most go thru near hits or cat1 or low cat two storms and think its the same as a cat 3 or greater or a high surge storm. They are completely different animals. As seen in Ike a mostly surge storm or Rita a high cat 3 wind storm.My home was ten miles from eye of rita and about 30 miles from the the Boliver. Extensive damage from rita ; none from Ike.In recommend renters insurnace to protect your personal property. Whetehr you will be allowed to return to your aprtment depends on extnet of damge and if tagged by inspectors really. rita danaged many7 aprtments that did reopwn for 6 mos to a year because of the extensive damage and difficultity of getting good contractors.IMO second floor is good in surge but bad in wind as far as seen in damage.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:24 AM

3,702 posts, read 16,858,784 times
I suggest a good chance to educate yourself will be on Jun 12 at the hurricane conference in Houston: 2010 Hurricane Workshop :: Home Page
Here is a hurricane evacuation map for the area:
http://www.gcoem.org/images/stories/Zip_zone_map_2010_FINAL.pdf (broken link)
Low lying areas in Galveston need to be evacuated for any size hurricane but you can usually ride out a Cat 1 if you are on high ground, Cat 2 is very iffy (Ike was a very strong Cat 2 almost Cat 3 but it had a Cat 4 storm surge). I would not stay anywhere near the island for a Cat 3. Upstairs is ok for rising water unless the building gets swept away but it does not save the roof being ripped off.
Galveston and the Houston area coastal communities were extremely lucky during Ike though many will not think so. If Ike had not made that easterly turn at the last minute, the surge would have really overwhelmed Galveston (more so than it did) and Galveston Bay/Houston Ship Channel might have seen 10 ft more + in surge than it did. It would not have been pretty to see NASA JSC go under among all the chemical plants and additional communities along the bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or