U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Hurricane preparedness: energy relevance, category changing, evacuation shelter, toilets

Old 06-14-2007, 02:05 PM

4,809 posts, read 12,883,044 times

Advertisements

....very informative....They will be changing the rating of hurricanes to energy relevance, not category, which will make it easier for all of us to understand....

because......a category 3 storm can be just as destructive as a four or five....

Once you've been through one, you know. It's all about wind & water and how that hurricane comes ashore.

For the Tampa Bay Area, because we are surrounded by water every which way, if a storm comes north at us, from mexico, and continues to strengthen, it could hit us with a tidal surge of up to 20 feet, which, by the way, will come like a tidal wave over everyone who decides not to evacuate and you will find yourselves "up on the roof" just like in New Orleans. And it could go for ten miles east...that's call flooding it up

Do not let the Category # fool you....it's all in the way of the wind & first hit on shore....

Why do you think it floods worse inland? there is no where for the water to go, except right now, it might just sink...we're so freakin dry....

Funny but not!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,176,680 times
Interesting, thanks for posting. Since I am looking to move there; I'm curious, where do they suggest you evacuate to? Is there a specific shelter? If you go on your own, how far in-land do they suggest?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Interesting, thanks for posting. Since I am looking to move there; I'm curious, where do they suggest you evacuate to? Is there a specific shelter? If you go on your own, how far in-land do they suggest?

You must leave LBK when they deem it mandatory.

On Anna Maria Island, the old joke was that if you decide to stay, they take your picture with a poloroid so that you can be identified at a later date, when you're found.

There are numerous, so called "safe" shelters. But, they recommend you find a place with family and friends, not in the path of the hurricane. Now, when the people of North Port, just below Sarasota were told to do this, they left and headed to Orlando...well, guess where Charley ended going?

Due to the nature of Katrina, in N.Orleans/Alabama (where the surge actually went ten (10) miles inland...there were still people sitting on top of roofs, waiting to be rescued that far in...

Truthfully, it would be best to get on a plane and fly out of Florida.

If that isn't an option, possibly driving to the other side of the coast and down, maybe? but, to do that in short notice when you really can't tell what a 'cane will do....as sometimes they turn around & go back down....kinda sounds like that horror movie, "sometimes they come back"...well same with these unpredictable storms....

There are no specific shelters, in answer to your question....however, they fill up fast and if you took a look at the stadium in New Orleans, on a smaller scale, it is like that....you are surrounded by by screaming babies & children, freaked out people, you get to bring a pillow, blanket, and I'm not sure about the rest of what they tell us regarding the hurricane box....I'm sure the toilets go first....and once you enter the shelter, they do not allow you to leave until the storm is gone. My mother went through Andrew back in 1992, in Ft. Lauderdale. She said she'd rather die than go in a shelter again....

Old 06-15-2007, 02:03 PM

22,573 posts, read 49,151,734 times
And due to the way Florida is shaped, there are not a lot of roads to evacuate on. I-95 or I-75 can rapidly become a parking lot. Hotels get sold out quickly. But if you have a job, you can really leave early. Most employers want you to stay until the last minute.

During Charley, my employer expected us to work though the storm. I'm not kidding. When the national guard rolled in and there was a curfew, I had a note from my employer so that I could still work.

Old 06-15-2007, 02:55 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,734,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
....very informative....They will be changing the rating of hurricanes to energy relevance, not category, which will make it easier for all of us to understand....

because......a category 3 storm can be just as destructive as a four or five....

Once you've been through one, you know. It's all about wind & water and how that hurricane comes ashore.

For the Tampa Bay Area, because we are surrounded by water every which way, if a storm comes north at us, from mexico, and continues to strengthen, it could hit us with a tidal surge of up to 20 feet, which, by the way, will come like a tidal wave over everyone who decides not to evacuate and you will find yourselves "up on the roof" just like in New Orleans. And it could go for ten miles east...that's call flooding it up

Do not let the Category # fool you....it's all in the way of the wind & first hit on shore....

Why do you think it floods worse inland? there is no where for the water to go, except right now, it might just sink...we're so freakin dry....

Funny but not!
Thank you for sharing the info. Do they have a web-site that everyone else can visit?

Old 06-15-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
You must leave LBK when they deem it mandatory.

On Anna Maria Island, the old joke was that if you decide to stay, they take your picture with a poloroid so that you can be identified at a later date, when you're found.

There are numerous, so called "safe" shelters. But, they recommend you find a place with family and friends, not in the path of the hurricane. Now, when the people of North Port, just below Sarasota were told to do this, they left and headed to Orlando...well, guess where Charley ended going?

Due to the nature of Katrina, in N.Orleans/Alabama (where the surge actually went ten (10) miles inland...there were still people sitting on top of roofs, waiting to be rescued that far in...

Truthfully, it would be best to get on a plane and fly out of Florida.

If that isn't an option, possibly driving to the other side of the coast and down, maybe? but, to do that in short notice when you really can't tell what a 'cane will do....as sometimes they turn around & go back down....kinda sounds like that horror movie, "sometimes they come back"...well same with these unpredictable storms....

There are no specific shelters, in answer to your question....however, they fill up fast and if you took a look at the stadium in New Orleans, on a smaller scale, it is like that....you are surrounded by by screaming babies & children, freaked out people, you get to bring a pillow, blanket, and I'm not sure about the rest of what they tell us regarding the hurricane box....I'm sure the toilets go first....and once you enter the shelter, they do not allow you to leave until the storm is gone. My mother went through Andrew back in 1992, in Ft. Lauderdale. She said she'd rather die than go in a shelter again....
Thanks, I think I'm with your mother on the shelter! I guess "get going early" is the best advice. I guess when we relocate we will have to work out a plan of where to actually go. Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
And due to the way Florida is shaped, there are not a lot of roads to evacuate on. I-95 or I-75 can rapidly become a parking lot. Hotels get sold out quickly. But if you have a job, you can really leave early. Most employers want you to stay until the last minute.

During Charley, my employer expected us to work though the storm. I'm not kidding. When the national guard rolled in and there was a curfew, I had a note from my employer so that I could still work.
Holy cow. Hopefully you at least got double pay or something. I would have quit before I stayed around. I'm sure I'll be the first one on the road getting out of there - probably around the time they choose a name for it!

Old 06-17-2007, 02:15 PM

22,573 posts, read 49,151,734 times
No. I did not work the day of or the day after. Fort Myers didn't have electricity but the company had a generator.

When I came back to work they said they "excused" the people that didn't show up. Well, gee thanks.

They were a third-party contractor and the company that we contracted to brought food and clothes for the employees. Lots of it. The company gave me five boxes of macaroni and cheese and five granola bars. That was for a family of five.

During a hurricane, your money gets depleted buying extra supplies. And of course, you don't get paid for the days that you are not there.

I've said it then - and this was a year before Katrina - and I'll say it again. Hurricanes are not for people that live paycheck to paycheck. You have hard financial decisions to make. That goes for any state.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Thank you for sharing the info. Do they have a web-site that everyone else can visit?
The official web site of the Town of Longboat Key, Florida.

Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
P.S. I work in property mgt. and most likely will be expected to be "on-site" helping to get lanai furniture inside of units, making sure everything is brought in that can fly a way and getting the "beach front" office emptied out & put ?....I live a block to Sarasota Bay myself....the most up in the air plans are going to be where am I going that's safer than the beach & how do I take work stuff when I have my own VIP stuff.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather > Hurricanes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or