Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 03:29 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I did some quick lease calc's and if Hyundai subvents the Equus leases like they do the Genesis, you're still looking at somewhere around $740/month... which is crazy considering you can lease a 528i (with Prem 2 package) for the same price.
It's not crazy when you consider that the Equus offers considerably more car for the same amount of money (starting with the V8). You're getting something that sits in 7 series territory for base 5 series money. This is coming from someone with a 530i in the household.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
I did some quick lease calc's and if Hyundai subvents the Equus leases like they do the Genesis, you're still looking at somewhere around $740/month... which is crazy considering you can lease a 528i (with Prem 2 package) for the same price.

Does no one ever read the BMW offers?

Yes, you can lease a 5-series for that much...with around $5K down.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:17 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Honestly, is there anything wrong with wanting something simply for its badge? Isn't it OK to be a "Ford guy", a "Chevy guy" or a "BMW guy"? Some people out there just like what they like, and aren't interested in anything else. We are often too quick to write these types off as ignorant, or missing out, but if they know what they like, what's wrong with sticking with it?

Answer: Nothing!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Honestly, is there anything wrong with wanting something simply for its badge? Isn't it OK to be a "Ford guy", a "Chevy guy" or a "BMW guy"? Some people out there just like what they like, and aren't interested in anything else. We are often too quick to write these types off as ignorant, or missing out, but if they know what they like, what's wrong with sticking with it?

Answer: Nothing!
There's nothing wrong with sticking with what you like for yourself. But it is ignorant to dismiss or bash something simply because its not a particular brand. To state that everything that isn't a Ford, or isn't a car from the 60's, or isn't purple, etc is terrible simply by the fact that it doesn't fall under that particular category is an incredibly stupid judgment.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
I personally think the Equus is a bad move by Hyundai. I mean, really, how is the market for ultra-luxury cars these days? Bad! And a Hyundai jumping onto the scene and trying to steal BMW and Audi's thunder just seems like a really, really, really bizarre move on Hyundai's behalf. We'll see how it plays out...

Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,319,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I personally think the Equus is a bad move by Hyundai. I mean, really, how is the market for ultra-luxury cars these days? Bad! And a Hyundai jumping onto the scene and trying to steal BMW and Audi's thunder just seems like a really, really, really bizarre move on Hyundai's behalf. We'll see how it plays out...
yeah like I said a few pages back 3-4 years from now people will be able to pick up a used Eqqus that cost 60K brand new for 15K-20K. I doubt it will hold it's value like a Audi or BMW. even after 6 months-1 year of ownership I doubt someone could sell it used for $35K-40K with low miles and thats a huge hit in depreciation.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:29 AM

Audis sell for dirt on the used market

Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,623,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Does no one ever read the BMW offers?

Yes, you can lease a 5-series for that much...with around $5K down.

Actually if you read all the fine print on the sales ads and crunch the numbers you can pull out the residual % and money factor. But it's easier to check out Bimmerfest

August figures are just posted and it's showing:

36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate

So on a $52,125 MSRP for a 528i with Prem 1 & Prem 2 that's about $780+tax monthly give or take (excluding registration/bank fee/security deposit). The new redesigned 5-series just hit dealer lots this summer, so prices are way over invoice right now. Still by this time next yr you'll probably see leases under $750.

Anyway, I'm still not convinced that well-heeled ppl buy cars like the 7 series or LS for the amenities & spaciousness in and of themselves. But the Equus could prove me wrong

Old 08-09-2010, 07:35 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
The customers who are in the market to purchase a near $60K vehicle are NOT going to be looking at Hyundai as their first choice. My mother drives an LS460 and I doubt she would ever consider even getting a Hyundai for a few thousand less than a Lexus.

Hyundai was on the right path with the Genesis...showing that they can make a luxury car that can compete with a $50K sedan for $20K less. HOWEVER...when you are talking about Hyundai producing a $60K sedan that competes with vehicles in the same price range...you have a recipe for disaster. Wealthy folks buy an S-Class because it's the flagship car for Mercedes and are willing to shell out the bucks to show others they have "made it". Hyundai doesn't have the brand recognition of Mercedes/BMW/Lexus to convince buyers to pay $60K for a vehicle with little brand respect.
Agreed 100% Great post.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The perception of the brand is influenced by small cars, so for the small car buyer, where Hyundai makes much of its money, it's positive. Yet, on the flip side, for a luxury American flagship buyer, it's a negative, because of the stratified American car market.
I disagree and have yet to meet anyone who does this. If anything, I see them looking at the flagship as an indicator of what that brand is capable of producing. Take the Lexus LS. It's considered one of the most luxurious cars around, but most Lexus buyers don't buy one. Instead, they opt for more affordable models like the ES and RX. The thinking is that if Lexus can produce something as nice as the LS, then the rest of their cars must be pretty good too. IMO, this is what's hurt brands like Acura. Their flagship RL is nearly invisible in the luxury market so luxury buyers don't put it in the same class as Mercedes, BMW, or Lexus. This is the lesson that Hyundai seems to have learned. In order to change their image and get people to take them seriously and not dismiss them as a maker of cheap compacts, they need an impressive flagship to get people to sit up and say, "Wow, I didn't know Hyundai could make something that nice." I don't think Hyundai expects the Equus to be a big seller. Its goal is to get people to change the way they see Hyundai, much like the Lexus LS changed how people see Toyota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia