Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 PM

43 posts, read 48,246 times

Advertisements

The U.S and Canada, Both of countries' forty five journalists specialized in cars announced the best car in the opening day of Detroit Auto Show. they evaluated the new cars launched in Northamerica automobile market with several categories;innovation,design,handling,comfort etc. Korea's sonata was highly expected to win the victory but it was defeated by a narrow margin. U.S NBC broadcasting sheds new light on the success of Korea's Hyundai car in it's market.saying, "Hyundai car is not a cheap car anymore, it's brand cars-sonata,elantra,genesis sold fifty three thousand units inspite of economy recession,they are loved by U.S customers now." NBC express thier satisfying opinions to Hyundai cars. Hyundai car's infulence ratio is now placed top with their hard efforts to reach the high quality and innovation.I heard it's elantra was selected the most residual value car in compact sedan part. Not only Hyundai cars but also other brands made in korea will show high quaities and functions. I use some products made in korea like cell phone & tv & washing machine, they all have quite good performance. other goods made in korea are fine too? Do you all have any opinions on made in korea? let't talk to about it freely. I want to know more about that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCkk6...eature=channel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 AM

199 posts, read 588,928 times
The "new" sonata was announced at least six months ago, probably earlier than that. A year ago?

Nonetheless, the only question mark is long term durability. CR recently did a road test of a toyota prius with 206,000 miles on it. No squeaks or rattles. How close can Hyundai get to this benchmark?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:02 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
The "new" sonata was announced at least six months ago, probably earlier than that. A year ago?

Nonetheless, the only question mark is long term durability. CR recently did a road test of a toyota prius with 206,000 miles on it. No squeaks or rattles. How close can Hyundai get to this benchmark?
no question. its a decent car but its no Toyota. At the same price as a Toyota. Lower resale value too. They are getting better and better every year but they do not have the decades that Toyota does at perfection their products yet. If they were a lot cheaper then a Toyota it may be a good value but they are not.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
To me everything with Hyundai/Kia is wait and see. I think some of their models, like the new Kia Sorento are worth rolling the dice on for people looking for that type of vehicle in that price range, but there are still large question marks on their long term reliability. The cars look good and they check the right boxes in terms of options, power and MPG, but they still aren't the proven commodity.

If anything I think the current economic situation has helped them as they are viewed as an economical and budget choice, even if the math doesn't work on many of their more popular models anymore. This is bolstered by the fact that Hyundai built its current market share on subprime lending and they have continued heavily in that market. Basically, Hyundais are great cars for economic recessions. They are seen as "smart" since they are "cheap and economical" (even if they aren't) and the dealers and finance arms were used to dealing with subprime borrowers.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
Hyundai reliability is way up there now. Car and Driver just did a 100k mi road test on a Genesis and it had zero problems. Considering that Hyundai copied Toyota's quality control processes, I think you can explain Hyundai reliability as good because it followed the industry leader.

I was wait and see with Hyundai 3 years ago, but now, I'd buy a Hyundai - everyone I know that has one since 2004 or so loves theirs and they have had no major issues. 100k mi warranty is nice too.

I haven't been in a Sonata, but I have been in a few other Hyundai cars and they are easily as nice as an Accord or Camry, for example. Their price has risen as they have become better quality but they are still a bargain in terms of what you get and quality imo. The automotive press seems to think so anyway.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
Hyundai reliability is way up there now. Car and Driver just did a 100k mi road test on a Genesis and it had zero problems. Considering that Hyundai copied Toyota's quality control processes, I think you can explain Hyundai reliability as good because it followed the industry leader.

I was wait and see with Hyundai 3 years ago, but now, I'd buy a Hyundai - everyone I know that has one since 2004 or so loves theirs and they have had no major issues. 100k mi warranty is nice too.

I haven't been in a Sonata, but I have been in a few other Hyundai cars and they are easily as nice as an Accord or Camry, for example.
You can't "copy" Toyota's QC process and get instant results. The "Toyota Way" is nothing more than a modified Six Sigma tailored specifically to the auto industry. It is about constant refinement and the method for addressing issues. It is a good method, but something that takes a long time to work and pay dividends.

I'm still not personally sold. There are anecdotal stories of Hyundai's that never break and plenty of stories about ones that are absolute nightmares. The warranty is a big selling point, but if the car has to be in the shop constantly it's still annoying even if it doesn't cost you anything.

One thing that still makes me wonder is the non-transferable status of that great warranty. The average new car buyer keeps their car for 4.5 - 5.5 years and between 50k-60k miles. That figure doesn't count leases. That means the great Hyundai warranty is never really fully used. When every other auto maker (with the exception of Chrysler and their "lifetime" powertrain warranty that they used to have) allows the factory warranties and coverages to transfer to other owners, it makes me wonder why Hyundai doesn't do the same.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM

5,640 posts, read 24,849,524 times
I did a lot of research and drove them all. I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limited turbo. I liked it better than anything else I drove and offers good content for the price.

The Korean cars are generally on par with others as far as reliability (some models better than others) and the US made models have excellent assembly quality.

I urge you to drive the cars you are considering before you draw any conclusions. There was more than one car I considered after a paper review that I found totally unacceptable when I drove them.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:15 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,630,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You can't "copy" Toyota's QC process and get instant results. The "Toyota Way" is nothing more than a modified Six Sigma tailored specifically to the auto industry. It is about constant refinement and the method for addressing issues. It is a good method, but something that takes a long time to work and pay dividends.
Thats true - Hyundai started back in the 90s though with improving itself, based on its failures in the 80s, with results generally started showing in the early 2000s. Hyundai mixed the high quality standards with a smaller management team that has proved effective at quick turn around and high standards.

Quote:
I'm still not personally sold. There are anecdotal stories of Hyundai's that never break and plenty of stories about ones that are absolute nightmares. The warranty is a big selling point, but if the car has to be in the shop constantly it's still annoying even if it doesn't cost you anything.
Different people will change their minds at different times. Some people didn't buy their first Toyota until the 90s - 30 years after Toyotas went on sale in the US. I would have laughed at the prospect of owning a Hyundai in 2004, but by 2007, I was on the fence, and today, I wouldn't hesitate. You get the same anecdotal info on any make, Hyundai or Toyota, but the trends show that Hyundai is making a quality product, and its growth in market share is huge in the USA.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
You get the same anecdotal info on any make, Hyundai or Toyota, but the trends show that Hyundai is making a quality product, and its growth in market share is huge in the USA.
While it's true that you get anecdotal evidence for every make and model, most people don't attribute Hyundais climb in market share to anything more than being viewed as an "economical/cheap" choice in the recession era and the fact that they had incorporated subprime lending as a core part of their market since the beginning. Basically, Hyundai was in the best position to sell cheap cars to people with shaky credit. That doesn't mean that ALL people who buy Hyundai's are in that position, but it is a core piece of their market and that strategy is being copied by others as subprime lending = big returns.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:02 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
read this..

//www.city-data.com/forum/autom...e-mistake.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I did a lot of research and drove them all. I just bought a 2011 Sonata Limited turbo. I liked it better than anything else I drove and offers good content for the price.

The Korean cars are generally on par with others as far as reliability (some models better than others) and the US made models have excellent assembly quality.

I urge you to drive the cars you are considering before you draw any conclusions. There was more than one car I considered after a paper review that I found totally unacceptable when I drove them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia