Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 AM

1,479 posts, read 5,066,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daellis99 View Post
I have never looked into Subaru but I hear many people talk about them. I might have to check them out
I would give Subaru a look, especially if you like the idea of AWD. Their styling used to be polarizing, but they've come into the mainstream lately, for better or worse. Their interior quality/fit & finish leaves a bit to be desired.

To address the question though, I like Hyundai. They've just taken what the other car makers have already figured out and applied what works. So they're not the most original... so, what? They've copied from the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 08:51 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,002,522 times
Have several friends with Hyundais specifically the Hyundai Elantra Touring versions, no one is complaining. Hyundai have really upped their game over the last decade, i would at least give em a look..

2011 Hyundai Elantra Touring - Overview - CarGurus

Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,481,658 times
I think Hyundai has solidly moved into the mainstream from their previous "bargain" position. They have, IMO, earned the right to be considered alongside the other mainstream brands such as Ford, Honda, Toyota, GM, Nissan, etc. The Genesis and Equus are "toe dips" into the US market to see how they would work here. Hyundai is massive in Korea where they own 75% of the market, so they build these cars to serve specific market segments on their home turf. It was an easy leap to bring them over here to try them out. I would not judge them on what they do with those cars, but would judge them on the Sonata, Elantra, etc.

In terms of initial quality they are right there with their mainstream brands. They still lag behind Toyota and Honda a bit, but are equal to Ford. All together, Ford, Hyundai, Toyota and Honda are the only four mainstream brands that beat the industry averages. GM (specifically Chevy) sits right at or below the industry average on initial quality.

In terms of dependability (the only metrics measure it at the 3 year mark) Hyundai is essentially tied with Ford, Chevy and Honda. Toyota continues to beat all of them by a decent margin. The questions start to come up when we look beyond the three year mark. Most studies indicate that Hyundai had a major turn around in quality around the 2006 model year, so those cars are now pushing 7 years old. There is little composite data, but let's just say most would still consider long term ownership of a Hyundai a gamble, which is part of the reason their resale values stay low. However, based on trending from the data we do have, it is safe to say that the average Hyundai from 2006 and newer is about as reliable long term as the average Ford, Chevy or current Honda product.

Interestingly enough Kia has routinely been a very poor perfomer in all of these measures despite being nearly identical to the Hyundai versions. It is obvious, that the cost differential came from somewhere in the cars. So, I would not personally recommend Kia and they are still viewed as a sub mainstream brand.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:09 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,821,877 times
I own a '11 Kia Optima and love it. Hard to find other cars that offer the same features, styling and MPG for the money. Nothing comes close to it on warranty if you keep your car 5+ years.

The new Azera is a looker. I hope they eventually put the new 350HP V6 into all of their cars, not just the Genesis Coupe.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,730,225 times
The market segment between the Sonata and Genesis seems awfully small and they don't seem to move many Azeras. The new one looks pretty nice but I haven't seen any type of marketing effort for it at all.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:13 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,537,436 times
I have a 2007 Elantra which I purchased for $4,600 below sticker here in LA in May of that year, and it's a wonderful car with exceptional best-in-class interior room.

A definite thumbs up

Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 PM

20,830 posts, read 16,974,969 times
My DW drives an 09 Genesis. It's smoother than silk and more powerful than most luxury vehicles.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/au...an-muscle.html

Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM

242 posts, read 297,062 times
We've owned hyundais for the better part of 20 years. We now are driving an 07 kia amanti. One of the things about hyundai is the content of features that come without extra packages. In the last few years, a few cars were bought by family members. Items like side airbags and traction control should come standard. Their cars didn't have it. Maybe we're luckier than most - we rarely have repairs with them. Probably the weakest area for hyundai is the suspension. They tend to ride softly (which we love) but become somewhat uncomposed over bumps/ potholes. Hth-M

Old 03-03-2012, 09:55 PM

448 posts, read 1,049,253 times
Hyundai is comming up. They hire all the employees that toyota and honda and so on laid off.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:28 PM

21,642 posts, read 24,768,362 times
Sales up 28% overall, 32% overseas... but in America sales were up only 18% in a market up 16%.
CORRECTED-UPDATE 1-Hyundai global sales jump 28 pct in February | Reuters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia