Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:33 PM

4,781 posts, read 10,533,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulderduder View Post
Aesthetically pleasing, all the right numbers, all the right noises...and it's unproven.

And the only Hyundai's that have been around long enough to establish a reputation are a gathering of truly horrific vehicles. We're told Hyundai has come a long way to this end. I'm not willing to bet 25K on that being true.
These are cars we buy, with 3-10 yr ownership spans, not houses.

Not a Fanboi, but my CEO's '10 Tuck Ltd has been very good for 2 years thus far. She likes it, so 'we' like it. Time will tell, but you seem like you need a few decades of poz data to not put the brand in the 'no f'ng way' category. Fwiw, we had an 'exulted & revered' Honda CR-V for 7 years previously: it was the worst car I have owned in 45 years of cars.

All anecdotal I realize, but that is exactly what 90% of the posts are, in the 'Automotive' forum, or else made up polls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent. It has 133,000 + miles on it. I did replace the catalytic converter ($600) and will be replacing some engine sensors that will set me back around $400. The passenger side hood hinge also needs to be replaced. The interior looks the same as it did when I bought the car in 2000. Other than basic maintenance the car is in the same condition as when it was purchased. For a small car it gets up and goes. It is a great communter car. I live less than 8 miles from work though. Still I have taken the car to Arizona to visit my parents. The car has always handled fine and never gave me any problems. It was not able to pass smog and I needed to take care of the cat, still it is in the front of the engine and was easy to change. The fact is that eveything on the car is easy to work on.

My car does not have any extras on it. It does have an FM AM Cassette Sterio, and that is about it. No AC, no anything else. In a few years I will hand it down to my sons. The dealer told me it is worth maybe $500 and I figure for that amount the kids can have it.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,747,523 times
I hate Hyundai. The 2001 Elantra I owned was the most cheaply made unreliable POS I ever owned and the dealer and company do not stand behind their product. There are so many loopholes and fine print in that warranty, its not even worth it.

The movie Tommy Boy sums up Hyundai's gimmick warranty perfectly:

But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of sh*t. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

I took that advice of buying a quality product, ditched the Hyundai and now happily own both a Toyota and a Honda. Plus, with Honda or Toyota, the resale value is much better...you'll thank yourself, for 1. buying a reliable car that won't require much beyond basic maintenance, and 2. a car that will get you something back when you sell or trade it.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
The first notable improvement on the Bimmer front is that it's not a V6, it's an inline

Most of the ambiance surrounding BMW comes from bragging rights, and the status symbol the brand has...Not every BMW owner is a purist, which creates many of the problems...the brand itself does build some fantastic automobiles...as does Hyundai.
Can we please stop putting BMW and Hyundai in the same sentence? What a joke. Do we compare Chevy to Mercedes? No.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,220,094 times
How can you compare a 2001 car to 2012 version. I think Honda is one boring unappealing car!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
How can you compare a 2001 car to 2012 version. I think Honda is one boring unappealing car!

Boring and unappealing? Maybe to some. But solid and reliable, which is most important to me. I'm not 20 and looking to turn womens' heads with my vehicle these days..

And maybe Hyundai is making better cars now than in 2001....but after that experience, they've lost me as a customer for good. I've had nothing but good luck with Honda and Toyota. And even if all else was equal (which its not, Hyundai still lags behind in reliability, even if they're better than in the past), resale value is still much better with Honda and Toyota...I like getting some value for the car even 10+ years later.

Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM

24 posts, read 45,705 times
Hyundai missed me by a generation...doubt i'll ever own one but people i know have them and have nothing but good things to say...i've had five Honda's since i was sixteen...i'd say go with your gut and by the Hyundai...

Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM

I like cars that have both looks and reliable to me. I find Honda and toyota boring! When was the last time you have seen a bad write up on a Hyundai

Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM

And as far as looks...Hyundai is going a little off the deep end with styling these days. Their recent models look like something out of Star Wars. If they get too ridiculous with their design, they'll end up being something laughed at down the road...kind of like AMC with the Pacer, Gremlin....

Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
And as far as looks...Hyundai is going a little off the deep end with styling these days. Their recent models look like something out of Star Wars. If they get too ridiculous with their design, they'll end up being something laughed at down the road...kind of like AMC with the Pacer, Gremlin....
Come on! Their styling is selling. One of their big player is from Audi. Their designs are fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia