U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,221,618 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine drives a Kia Sorento - the Midsized SUV. Whenever they take it out on the freeway and get it above 60, the roof starts making an almost "howling" noise. They said they've taken it to the dealership more than once, when they claimed they fixed the problem, the problem still existed.

Do any of you have any type of idea what this may be? Or have had similar experiences with this type of vehicle?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 06:55 PM

10,587 posts, read 11,175,899 times
Hay metro, does it have a sunroof, if it does have the seals checked on it, sometimes a sunroof doesn't seal tight and they may have to make an adjustment.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,221,618 times
Nope, no sunroof - otherwise that would make perfect sense.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:33 PM

How about the seals around the doors, maybe the doors need to be adjusted if they're not closing tight, have them check the seals at the top of the doors, sometimes the top of the doors don't seal properly.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 PM

18,460 posts, read 39,000,144 times
My Uplander minivan makes the same noise and I figured out it's the roof rack. It's worse on windy days. I removed my crossbars but the noise is still there sometimes.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My Uplander minivan makes the same noise and I figured out it's the roof rack. It's worse on windy days. I removed my crossbars but the noise is still there sometimes.
Now there's an idea, sometimes I wonder why they put these roof racks on vehicles when you know that they're never going to be used, they cause to wind to make noises which vibrate through the roof and not only that they cut down on the aerodynamics of the vehicle. When was the last time anybody really used one of those things.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 6,028 times
Default Roof Rack Situation

I have a 2008 Sorento. It came with the roof rails but no crossbars. I had to buy from Kia. After I installed the cross bars The "howling" inside the vehicle was terrible. After removing the cross bars the noise went away. I tried moving the cross bars in every position possible but no luck. Next I am trying a pair of After Market cross bars that sit higher up from the roof. I'll keep you posted with the results.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 AM

6,809 posts, read 8,966,434 times
You might try one of those roof fairings, similar to the ones big trucks use to help air flow from truck to trailer.

You have to do something to smooth air flow over that rack. Maybe that's why I see so many Yakima racks 365 around here. Maybe they quiet things down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia