U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 15,365 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,,

I’ve had older (pre 2010) Hondas and newer Toyotas and Hyundai.

From a “keep it on the road” perspective, the Hyundai has been pretty reliable. The Theta II with its problems makes me nervous, but at 70k all I’ve done has been oil changes and a set of tires. My 2011 Corolla needed two sets of brakes and a water pump by 70k. Conversely, my wife’s 2011 Elantra needed a new transmission by 15k! And developed tons of suspension issues and a lifter tick by 75k when we traded it for a Subaru.

I find Toyota to still be more reliable, generally, and they tend to drive like when they were new for longer. Despite some of the extra work, my Corolla at 110k drove like when it was new. The Elantra and Sonata engines started sounding different and they started having more steering slop and interior wear by 60k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 06:35 PM

1,712 posts, read 5,875,645 times
2013 Sonata, bought used, still drives like new at 112K Miles but burning oil. Theta II is under warranty, waiting for oil consumption to get worse and then hope for a new engine.

2016 Veloster Turbo, 6 spd, bought new, over 60K miles and so far no issues, fingers crossed.
2015 Tucson, no issues until 55K miles that I sold it because of changed needs.
Had an 89 Corolla with the carb, any issues, sold at 145K Miles.
Had a 2005 Camry, regular stuff until 180K Miles, sold. But known issue with their 4 cylinder head bolts.

Have a 2011 Prius, bought used, has 110k+ miles. It is noisy but no major issues yet. Burns a little oil.

Had a 2018 RAV4, torque converter noise, dealer wasn't willing to change it but bought it back.

Had a 2011 CRV, engine had valve tap at 10K miles, rear seat was loose. Got rid of it was it was also very uncomfortable (for me).

I haven't been able to see any pattern. Don't buy the 1st yr model. Buy something you like and the price is fine.

Currently looking at a Tucson, but the Nissan Rogue has better availability and pricing on the used models, so might switch.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:02 PM

3,531 posts, read 10,072,582 times
I had a 1994 and 1996 Honda Accord, never had an issue with either car.

I had a 2004 Toyota Tacoma and Toyota Highlander, both on a lease. I traded the Tacoma for a 2005 Toyota Matrix. The only issue with the Highlander was what I thought was a high rate of wear on the tires (they were completely worn at 20,000 miles). The Matrix had the same issue (tires would be done at 20,000 miles and it constantly needed alignments). No other issues.

I bought a used 2003 Toyota Solara XLE V6. Immaculate inside and out, but it was burning massive amounts of oil. I had to let it go because the repair costs would be more than the car was worth. This is when I found out that a warranty on a used car is pointless.

I bought a new 2012 Kia Sportage EX. I had it for 120,000 completely trouble-free miles. No problems with anything. I'd absolutely buy another Kia again.

I bought a new 2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD. It currently has 50,000 miles and has had no problems. It does require an alignment every 15,000 miles.

I traded the Kia in for a 2019 Toyota Rav4 Limited Hybrid. It currently has 20,000 miles. I've had issues with electronics glitches (door locks and with the head unit) and the known issue where you can't completely fill the gas tank. That backup alarm that all hybrids have sucks (it's really loud when you're inside the garage) and I wish it could be disabled.

I'm considering the possibility of trading in both the Tacoma and the Rav4 on a new Honda Ridgeline. I like the idea of having the best of both worlds without the issue of trying to find enough room to park two vehicles. Or, I might sell the Rav4, keep the Tacoma, and maybe lease a new Kia Seltos.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:25 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,038,530 times
Wife had a 77 pinto that in 85 gave up the ghost. She said what’s he cheapest car on he market and at that time it was the Yugo. She said no way and we ended up with a first generation Hyundai. It was a throw away car. Driving a 2017 Sedona top of the line car that replaced a Toyota Sienna. I an a believer in both lines.

Old 12-02-2020, 11:40 PM

4 posts, read 15,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylus View Post
Hello everyone,,

I’ve had older (pre 2010) Hondas and newer Toyotas and Hyundai.

From a “keep it on the road” perspective, the Hyundai has been pretty reliable. The Theta II with its problems makes me nervous, but at 70k all I’ve done has been oil changes and a set of tires. My 2011 Corolla needed two sets of brakes and a water pump by 70k. Conversely, my wife’s 2011 Elantra needed a new transmission by 15k! And developed tons of suspension issues and a lifter tick by 75k when we traded it for a Subaru https://trackeasy.fun/usps/ https://showbox.tools/.

I find Toyota to still be more reliable, generally, and they tend to drive like when they were new for longer. Despite some of the extra work, my Corolla at 110k drove like when it was new. The Elantra and Sonata engines started sounding different and they started having more steering slop and interior wear by 60k.
Ok i got this,.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:49 AM

1,206 posts, read 1,097,722 times
Many Toyotas in my lifetime until 2013, when I switched to a Kia Sorento. I'm now on a 2017 Sorento and have never regretted leaving Toyota.

Toyotas are fine cars, but Kia's superior warranty, interior look and feel, and standard telematics features give them the edge, IMO. It's also nice that Kia's nav system doesn't require you to have the vehicle at a complete stop to enter data, as Toyota's does.

Old 12-03-2020, 11:33 AM

4,521 posts, read 2,080,716 times
I drove a 2003 Accord past 200k miles before junking it. That was a great car.

I now drive a 2013 Kia Soul and find it to be almost as good. Sometimes I feel engine jitter when starting up, but that goes away after a few minutes of driving. No major maintenance problems, but this car sees light use.

Kias are so much cheaper (at least when I was shopping for one) than Toyotas and Hondas, and are almost a match in quality.

I particularly like the Soul interior space, turning radius, and dashboard design.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:35 AM

1,363 posts, read 1,146,657 times
Bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Had for five years. I currently own three Honda's: a 2013 Accord Coupe, 2005 Honda Pilot, and 2020 Accord.

I think the build quality of the Hyundai matches Honda. As for the interior, the 2011 Sonata has cheaper plastic parts, but Honda cannot boast as you can find cost-cutting measures in the quality of materials in Honda cars as well.

I have driven a 2020 Telluride and I've been in the new Kia K5. Kia has closed the gap and trounces Honda on interior design and quality. I also think the K5 looks better than my new Accord.

Old 12-11-2020, 10:00 AM

2,923 posts, read 2,033,458 times
2006 Honda Accord v6 stick shift. Got it new and than got sick of stick shift and sold at 112 K.

Crazy reliable. Not one cent spent on a thing but fluids and a timing belt. Just stick to older Honda without the fancy Direct injected motors and you will be fine.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:48 AM

18,458 posts, read 38,983,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Bought a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. Had for five years. I currently own three Honda's: a 2013 Accord Coupe, 2005 Honda Pilot, and 2020 Accord.

I think the build quality of the Hyundai matches Honda. As for the interior, the 2011 Sonata has cheaper plastic parts, but Honda cannot boast as you can find cost-cutting measures in the quality of materials in Honda cars as well.

I have driven a 2020 Telluride and I've been in the new Kia K5. Kia has closed the gap and trounces Honda on interior design and quality. I also think the K5 looks better than my new Accord.
Did the steering wheel inserts in your Sonata start peeling? I was always very careful not to touch that part too much, and mine never did it. I have seen some though that look terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia