Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 10:04 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times

Advertisements

I'd buy one, all other over priced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
The front of it reminds me of a Lincoln, but the deisgn overall is derivative, at best, with the rear looking as though it were lifted from a Lexus. Let me guess, this is supposed to lure the Maybach and Phantom set to Hyundai? I mean the Genesis is supposed to take on Lexus and the S-Class, when it's really more of an Avalon competitor, but I will give Hyundai points for marketing when they inflate the level of the car that they're imitating for less money.

I do not doubt that some models are quite good and know people who have Hyundais and like them very much, but they are not a prestige brand by any stretch, and resale on the higher priced Hyundais is not on par with their competition. Anything above the Sonata range is ludicrous to spend on a Hyundai beause the resale value is not there for the Azera. I doubt the Genesis and the Equus will do much better in that department. Even the Genesis comes with plastic wood trim, albeit with leather inlay on the dash and doors, but they just can't shed the faux luxury enough to spring for real wood on a supposed Lexus imitator?

I mean the name alone calls into question the thought processes behind this vehicle. Did they not research the plot of the stage play that bears the same name? I certainly would not drive around in a car with that sort of baggage. Okay, I know it's a vain attempt to make the name sound as though it carries a mystique and prestige, having to do with equestrian pursuits, which I guess is an imitation of Jaguar since they're both named after animals.
Considering that the Genesis sedan is several times better than any Avalon I don't see how you can compare the two. The Genesis sedan certainly belongs in the upper luxury playing field based on interior quality and features alone. It's an awesome car and I'm looking forward to buying one used after my G35 gets a bit long in the tooth.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Same old story from Hyundai.... offer a product thats years late to the party for thousands less and hope buyers fall for it. I give it 2 out of 5 stars.
This vehicle has been on sale in Korea for years now. At least Hyundai is coming out with competitive luxury products that sell versus the crud we see from most American manufacturers that can't even offer a product in the same spectrum as the Genesis sedan. The only competitive luxury brand from US manufacturers is Cadillac and they have only recently started coming out with attractive designs with quality interiors (2003+).

Old 07-20-2009, 10:41 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Considering that the Genesis sedan is several times better than any Avalon I don't see how you can compare the two. The Genesis sedan certainly belongs in the upper luxury playing field based on interior quality and features alone. It's an awesome car and I'm looking forward to buying one used after my G35 gets a bit long in the tooth.
Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree. The initial quality is not bad, but upon closer inspection, it falls short, IMO, when compared to the luxury set, since some of the materials are quite cheap when it's compared to a Lexus. Plastic wood on the console is quality? If it's supposed to emulate Lexus, Huyndai can use real wood veneer on the console. That's one corner that's been cut, to keep the price down, which just makes me wonder what has been cut that one cannot see, hence the long-term reliability of the vehicle remains unknown.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Sorry, but I am going to have to disagree. The initial quality is not bad, but upon closer inspection, it falls short, IMO, when compared to the luxury set, since some of the materials are quite cheap when it's compared to a Lexus. Plastic wood on the console is quality? If it's supposed to emulate Lexus, Huyndai can use real wood veneer on the console. That's one corner that's been cut, to keep the price down, which just makes me wonder what has been cut that one cannot see, hence the long-term reliability of the vehicle remains unknown.
Faux wood does not harm long term reliability. As someone who owned a low end 2002 Hyundai Accent for several years as my first car in high school and knowing the beating I gave it, I know first hand how reliable these cars are. I abused the crap out of it, put on 56k miles in two years and then sold it to a buddy who has since passed 100k miles without issue. I kind of wish I kept it as a beater because my G35 is crap on gas mileage. It's a given that some corners had to be cut, but they did everything right where it counts. Top shelf quality leather seating and leather wrapped dash are definitely upper range features. The entire interior just screams luxury which is more than I can expect out of a vehicle starting at $30k.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:44 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
Looks like a cluster-f copy of real luxury cars, built out of Hyundia parts which will discolor & break in 5 years. No thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Looks like a cluster-f copy of real luxury cars, built out of Hyundia parts which will discolor & break in 5 years. No thanks!
The one I had is still going strong seven years after its initial purchase with absolutely no issues. This is for the economy model so I can only expect better results from a luxury one.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Looks like an extremely nice car. Obviously a very large "influence" from the current generation Lexus LS....and maybe even a hint of Lincoln in that grille??!!?

However....I would never, ever buy one of these....because each time I saw it sitting in my driveway, or drove in it, or whatever, I wouldn't be able to think of anything except that play where Harry Potter bones a horse.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,691,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
The one I had is still going strong seven years after its initial purchase with absolutely no issues. This is for the economy model so I can only expect better results from a luxury one.

I don't know about that. The more bells & whistles a car has, the more potential for something to go wrong.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,382,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I don't know about that. The more bells & whistles a car has, the more potential for something to go wrong.
Especially with a car like the Equus that is uncharted territory for Hyundai.

If Hyundai really believed in the quality of their cars they would make the 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty fully transferable. The fact that they don't, and their spotty reputation in the 80's and 90's, is holding their resale values down. That is reason enough for me to stay away, especially on a $50K purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia