Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2011, 09:29 AM

703 posts, read 2,942,763 times

Advertisements

So my 9 years old 2002 Elantra GLS with 99,000 miles had its first "Check Engine Light" come on yesterday. There were no drop in performance, no change in engine noise, no black smoke, etc. Nothing appeared to be wrong except for the darn CEL display. Anyway, went to my local Advance Auto Parts store to borrow their diagnostic tool to find out what the issue may be.

According to the complete diagnosis, O2 sensors actually indicated that they were functioning fine, but I still got the following output:

P0139 MOD$11
Oxygen Sensor Circuit Slow Response
Bank 1 Sensor 2

In any case, I went ahead and deleted the code just to see if it'll come back or if this was some strange random fluke event.

For those of you DIYers who have changed your own O2 sensors, if I was to do this myself, will I need to have any special tools? Bear in mind, I'm a complete newbie, but would like to be more mechanically proficient. From the DIY videos (of other vehicles) that I have seen online, it seems like it's a pretty straightforward job. Basically unplug the electrical connection, then unscrew the old sensor with a simply wrench. Is it that simple on the 02 Elantra as well? Any suggestions on where (or specific brand) I should order a replacement?

Also, are the rear and front O2 sensors interchangeable (i.e. same thing)? I found an OEM replacement on ebay at 01-06 Hyundai Elantra Oxygen Sensor O2 03-06 Tiburon FR | eBay, but it does not say if it's for "Sensor 1" or "Sensor 2."

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Default Blow the carbon out

If you're driving mainly around town, take it out on the freeway and "blow the carbon out," as my dad used to say. It worked for me. About ten years ago, I had the O2 sensor changed because the "check engine" light came on. But when it happened again little over a year ago, I just got on the freeway and drove! The light stayed on until I shut the engine off but when I started it up again, it was off. Try it. What's the harm? If it's broken, how much worse could you make it?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:11 PM

874 posts, read 2,875,416 times
The 1 and 2 sensors are not interchangeable. You have to buy the correct one. The wire connectors are USUALLY different on the different sensors so that you can't accidentally hook the wrong sensor up. They sell special sockets for oxygen sensors that are not expensive and are readily available at auto parts stores. When I change oxygen sensors I tend to run the car to operating temperature to heat up the exhaust so that it is easier to remove the sensor. If doing this be careful since the exhaust and the sensor will be HOT.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Pretty easy job. Just use a wrench and use a lot of force to get it off. And I don't know about all cars but typically the front and rear O2's are not interchangeable. The one you need to replace is the one that is after the catalytic converter. Which does only one thing and that is to see if the catalytic converter is working.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:29 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
If you're driving mainly around town, take it out on the freeway and "blow the carbon out," as my dad used to say. It worked for me. About ten years ago, I had the O2 sensor changed because the "check engine" light came on. But when it happened again little over a year ago, I just got on the freeway and drove! The light stayed on until I shut the engine off but when I started it up again, it was off. Try it. What's the harm? If it's broken, how much worse could you make it?

If it's the front O2 you could cause major damage to the engine. If it's not reading the proper air fuel mixture and you floor it, it could go boom.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:56 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
If it's the front O2 you could cause major damage to the engine. If it's not reading the proper air fuel mixture and you floor it, it could go boom.
I'm sure it could. I simply related a story of what happened with my car. Going forward, I'll have to put a disclaimer below my comments that reads: Don't try this at home."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia