Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 13,411 times

Advertisements

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. But what happens when the imitator becomes better than the imitated?
For years now, Hyundai has had its sights set on Toyota. The Japanese giant’s strategy for its vehicles is to make them reliable, impeccably made, conservative in style and comfortable to ride in. Hyundai has taken that approach to heart, and the 2009 Hyundai Sonata is proof positive that it has gotten it right. In fact, not only has the updated Sonata caught up to the mighty Camry, it’s driven past it.
http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/q...dai-sonata.jpg

Car Review - Autos Preview ===> [url=http://www.iarticles.info]Car|Laptop|Electronics Review Preview[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 10:36 AM

347 posts, read 1,352,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyou12 View Post
For years now, Hyundai has had its sights set on Toyota. The Japanese giant’s strategy for its vehicles is to make them reliable, impeccably made, conservative in style and comfortable to ride in. Hyundai has taken that approach to heart, and the 2009 Hyundai Sonata is proof positive that it has gotten it right.
OK, so this is a 2009 car, which means it is new and very few people have driven it so far.
How can they claim that it is reliable?

Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,377,840 times
2009 Sonata is a mild refresh. The mechanicals are the same so the reliability will be basically the same.

Sonata's are very impressive cars. I'm still not sold on the tranny, though. I've heard bad stories.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,011,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
2009 Sonata is a mild refresh. The mechanicals are the same so the reliability will be basically the same.

Sonata's are very impressive cars. I'm still not sold on the tranny, though. I've heard bad stories.
The Automatic Transmission in the 4 Cyl. models is not geared right and basically sucks! It's very slow, I believe it takes over 9 seconds to go from 0 to 60 mph in a 09 Sonata 4 cyl. Auto. But drive the 5 speed manual and it's a refreshing change! It's much quicker and feels alot better. Alot like the 02-03 Subaru Outback 4 Cyl. Auto vs. Manual. The manual feels much better and much quicker with better fuel economy and probably more reliable in the long run.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times
We have an 01 V6 Sonata, not a single doggone problem with the tranny. Flushed it around 70K or so, still shifts smooth and nice as can be. Engine is very reliable and still quieter than most NEW V6's Ive been in, and it has well over 100K miles on it.

I give our Sonata an A- after 7 years of owning it.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,931,448 times
Default 2006 GLS 4cyl

I love my 06' Sonata GLS, 4cyl...so far so good, no problems {knock wood} I have now hit 72k miles...

BEWARE of the resale value, I recently went to trade in my car...went to Toyota, Honda, & Hyundai, very low resale value. My car is in excellent condition, and I was still surprised on the value...My past 4 Toyota's held their value...this Sonata didn't, so, when I am ready for a new car, I don't think I will be going with Hyundai again...

Old 04-09-2009, 02:49 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,629,112 times
My 06 Sonata V6 has not only gone 40,000 with nothing but oil changes it also turns mid 15 sec 1/4 mi. Mrs D and I both like it and would buy another without hesitation.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:57 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,546,537 times
I like the Sonata as well, I must say I drove and Azera for the first time yesterday. Now the Azera is a nice car. I'd probably pick the Azera over the Sonata any day.

Sonata is doing good though!

Old 04-09-2009, 02:58 PM

890 posts, read 3,681,390 times
The interiors on the '09 are vastly improved over the '06-'08 models. Better materials, superior ergonomics, less bland, etc.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:07 PM

9,194 posts, read 10,963,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
I love my 06' Sonata GLS, 4cyl...so far so good, no problems {knock wood} I have now hit 72k miles...

BEWARE of the resale value, I recently went to trade in my car...went to Toyota, Honda, & Hyundai, very low resale value. My car is in excellent condition, and I was still surprised on the value...My past 4 Toyota's held their value...this Sonata didn't, so, when I am ready for a new car, I don't think I will be going with Hyundai again...
Low resale is largely a function of action/reaction.
They're cheap new, typically discounted thousands of dollars.
So off the top, obviously you're not going to get the same sort of resale as an Accord, that you might pay wholesale for but not benefitting from thousands of cash on the hood.

So in my view, that money is either tied up in rolling stock, or it's in the bank (or NOT on the loan document, w/interest).

I don't know what my Spectra is worth on trade, but I paid 12 grand for something stickered at $16,750.
That's over 25% off the top. No free lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia