U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 08:11 AM

703 posts, read 2,838,432 times

Advertisements

2002 Hyundai Elantra with slightly under 88,000 miles.

Took my car into the local NTB for an oil change and tires rotation/balance last Thursday. Was told that the tie rods needed to be replaced, so I said fine and to go ahead and do it. The next day (and $600+) later, the car shakes at low speed (between 10-30 mph), not so much during acceleration, but badly during coasting. Took the car back to the same NTB on Sunday and after an inspection, was told that the belt had dissociated from one of the tires which was why the car was shaking. Fine, went ahead and replaced that tire and its complement. ON the drive home, noticed some shaking still, but it was 5pm and had been waiting at the shop since 9am, so I decided to go home instead (thinking maybe, it was just due to new tires). Monday morning, driving on a highly congested/slow highway, the shaking returns. This time, the shaking was probably worst than before (the rear antenna was bouncing all over the place) at those same coasting/rolling low speed (15-30mph). It was so bad that I just left the car at another shop (Merchants). What could be wrong?

At the NTB on Sunday, I did notice 3-4 guys banging/pushing against something under the front passenger side, but was too far away to see exactly what. In any case, it didn't seem to bother them enough as they quickly went onto something else and I wasn't told specifically about it.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 AM

8,292 posts, read 25,463,085 times
I'm not sure what NTB is, but I'm sure of this: You got screwed!

It's standard procedure for these low-end outfits to try their best to scare the crap out of people who come in for an oil change. Tie-rod ends is one of their favorite recommended repairs. Ball joints is another. Keep going in and they'll keep finding stuff wrong.

My suggestion is that you go in there and raise holy hell until they fix your car, and fix it right. Remember - it was fine until you took it in there!

Old 03-15-2010, 08:35 AM

14,781 posts, read 41,194,967 times
If a proper alignment wasn't done after installing the tie rods, you can experience shaking. My initial thought would be an improperly balanced tire, or a bent rim. I would take it to a more traditional shop and have them take a look at what NTB did. If they find something wrong, head back to NTB and give them a chance to fix it or pay for the other shop to fix it.

Sometimes you can get shaking on a new set of tires on an older car if the suspension geometry is off. It will usually go away once the new tires wear in. No matter what it is, it shouldn't be shaking that bad.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 AM

1,084 posts, read 3,574,094 times
Don't ever fall for a ball joint, tie-rod end or any kind of front end suspension replacement.

Seems like everytime I get my front end aligned they attempt to pull that bull**** on me.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:13 AM

432 posts, read 3,511,771 times
You may be exceeding the performance limits of the Hyundai.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:41 AM

703 posts, read 2,838,432 times
OK, here's the latest. Just got a call from Merchants' Tires and they said that the problem is with the rear tires. Their belts appear to have been broken. These were the tires that were NOT replaced by NTB yesterday, which leads me to wonder if those front tires really needed to be replaced at all. Other than the tires, there appears to be absolutely nothing else wrong with the car.

The question now is, how do I approach NTB? They had me replace tires that may or may not have needed replacement and now I have two more tires that need to be replaced (according to the second opinion). ARGH!

Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM

8,292 posts, read 25,463,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
You make a very good point.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:36 AM

6,367 posts, read 15,895,470 times
To the OP: were you having any kind of shake or vibration problem before you took your car in on Thursday?

Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM

5,994 posts, read 17,790,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornb17 View Post
And the stupid comment of the day award goes to....

Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM

432 posts, read 3,511,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
And the stupid comment of the day award goes to....
iTsLiKeAnEgG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Hyundai and Kia