U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:56 PM

599 posts, read 5,659,061 times

Advertisements

I have a few days to go exploring before I start my new job here in Idaho Falls, but I don't really have a clue what to do. During my house hunting trip I took a small road trip through Idaho Falls - Swan Valley - Victor - Driggs - Rexburg - Idaho Falls. I would like to do and see something else this time.

I'm on the look for daytime adventures, i.e. I want to be back in Idaho Falls in the evening.

Do you have any suggestions for fun/exciting/interesting/beautiful things to do/see?

Thanks,
joox
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM

287 posts, read 719,794 times
You could do a loop up through Yellowstone National Park and down through Jackson Hole. But it's $25 just to drive into the park. Maybe just exploring Jackson Hole would be more than enough for one day. It's so beautiful over there. How about a river run?

By the way, do you have permanent housing yet? We're still looking. We've looked at 20 or so homes and none of them feel "right". Looking at 6 more tomorrow and we're also talking to a builder to see what it would cost to build a home. I didn't think it would be this hard to find something. Sigh!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,987,384 times
Head north to Island Park and check out Harriman State Park , Big Springs, and the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. This area is just north of Ashton and one of Eastern Idaho's most beautiful areas imo and an easy day drive from Idaho Falls.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 AM

599 posts, read 5,659,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
You could do a loop up through Yellowstone National Park and down through Jackson Hole. But it's $25 just to drive into the park. Maybe just exploring Jackson Hole would be more than enough for one day. It's so beautiful over there.
I visited Yellowstone National Park when I was in Idaho Fall last August. Not that I wouldn't like to go back, but I think it would be more fun not to do it alone. However, I haven't been to Jackson Hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlymac View Post
How about a river run?
This I will do, but I will walk not run. I'm not a big fan of running especially not on asphalt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
By the way, do you have permanent housing yet? We're still looking.
I have a furnished apartment at the moment. I'm hoping to get an unfurnished on by the end of September - when my own furniture arrives from Sweden. I haven't been looking at any houses since a one bedroom apartment is big enough for me. I also like the convenience of having 2 outdoor pools, 1 indoor pool and a gym within the complex, which is rather hard to find in a small rental house.

Good luck to you and your family. I'm holding my thumbs for you (the Swedish version of crossing fingers) that you soon will find something you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Head north to Island Park and check out Harriman State Park , Big Springs, and the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway. This area is just north of Ashton and one of Eastern Idaho's most beautiful areas imo and an easy day drive from Idaho Falls.
Thank you, this sounds like a nice adventure.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 PM

6,190 posts, read 6,195,274 times
Tohobit Peak's suggested set is a good one and you could also consider Island Park Reservoir or Henry's Lake. Mesa Falls is very nice. At Harriman you could take a trail ride Horseback trail rides and pack trips in Teton, Yellowstone and Harriman with Dry Ridge Outfitters On the way out, if you want even more diversity, you could take a small detour and hit the St Anthony Sand Dunes (due north of Rexburg).

Craters of the Moon is unusual. Dark lava field. Not for everybody. Early in the day would be best right now.

If you go to Grand Teton, there is a little boat ride you can take across Jenny Lake right under the Grand Tetons or you can walk around it. There is also a short hike out to a good observation point in the middle of the valley. If you like to look at art, Jackson has a lot of galleries, though most very high priced.

The World Potato Exposition in Blackfoot would be a quick little option if a museum filled with potato related stuff sounds fun or educational.

Other options-

In the extreme southeast corner of the state is Bear Lake which has pretty water.

In the future if you go past Driggs Idaho to above Alta Wyoming there is good trail riding and hiking.

To the southwest, City Of Rocks (south of Burley, near Alba and the Utah border) is a nice place to hike, rock climb and camp.

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-20-2010 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 PM

287 posts, read 719,794 times
Joox- Let me clear up the confusion. "River run" around here means getting in a raft and floating down a river. It could be called "rafting" too I guess. To all the locals- what else is it called?

I'm not much of a runner either but have enjoyed many walks along the river since arriving here. It is so interesting to see the "personality" of the river change according to the wind, time of day, etc. Beautiful!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:38 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,987,384 times
NW Crow, you suggested some other great options.

Another good day drive option from Idaho Falls is heading beyond Arco to the Lost River Valley and Mackay. The Lost River Range is spectacular with some amazing canyons that can be driven into with a passenger car. Joox, the Lost River's are more isolated so I would suggest maybe going with a friend.

Here is a link to a beautiful website of Southern/Eastern Idaho Mountains Ranges. It has a lot of pictures of the Lost River's and other nearby Ranges. If you scan down there are links to the other Ranges of Eastern Idaho towards Central Idaho.

http://www.summitpost.org/list/26373...eleveners.html

Here are two of my favorite panos from this site:

Lost River Range
http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...nal/297449.jpg

Pioneer Mountain Range----this is closer to Sun Valley but is still doable as a day drive from I.F. Make sure to leave early in the morning during Summer.
http://c0278592.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...nal/262340.JPG

Last edited by TohobitPeak; 07-20-2010 at 08:54 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 08:50 PM

6,190 posts, read 6,195,274 times
Thanks Tohobit Peak. I mentioned some of them earlier this spring but didn't remember until I had already listed them again.

I thought about mentioning the Lost Valley too but had a similar thought of higher caution Though with prep and caution (including perhaps plans left with someone) solo travel can be alright.

I don't think I mentioned this before and it is coming up soon
Idaho International Dance and Music Festival (http://www.rexcc.com/festival/ - broken link)

This place has canoes.
http://www.macksinn.com/activites.php

Last edited by NW Crow; 07-20-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM

27,302 posts, read 18,654,794 times
Take a drive to the west. The Arco Desert is just west of the city limits, and the road will take you to Arco, 60 miles away. You can keep driving west through Arco and go see the Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument (astonishing lava flows), or you can drive northward and check out Mt. Borah and the highest mountains in Idaho. Further on lies Redfish Lake.

If you want to make a longer day of it, drive across the desert and go check out Ketchum & Sun Valley.

Closer to I.F., you can drive east on Sunnyside all the way to the Bone Road, then head south. The road eventually forks, and you can drive all the way to the Blackfoot Reservoir and Soda Springs on the west fork or to Grey's Lake Bird Sanctuary on the east. If you take the Grey's Lake drive, you can continue on to Wayan, a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, cross into Star Valley, Wyoming, and come back through the Targheed forest and dump out in Swan Valley. Be sure and stop at the Swan Valley Commissary and get a square ice cream cone.

Or drive east to Ririe, turn left at the Kelly Canyon/ Heise sign, and go take a swim at Heise Hot Springs. The have a large swimming pool and a smaller hot pool, and it lies right by the Sanke River. There's a 9-hole golf course just down the road. If you pass Heise, you can go on down to the Snake River Canyon on the right, or up to Kelly Canyon on the left. Both offer very impressive and much different vistas.

All lie 150 (one way) miles or less from I. F. The stuff to the west makes for a longer day, as does the drive south to Soda Springs, but you can always turn around at any point you want.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM

27,302 posts, read 18,654,794 times
Hang around in town Saturday and go see the Blue Angels air show! They have been here before, but this show will the bigger and more varied than ever, and they are truly impressive and exciting to watch!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls