Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:23 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

We recently passed the two year mark after moving to Shelley, Idaho.

We still love it here! The job market isn't great, the schools suck, at least for us they have, so in that regard, coming from California, we are right at home!

The people here are incredibly decent, law enforcement especially is wonderful! I come from a corrupt jurisdiction, and I now I wave when I see a cop instead of flinching, and honestly, our local police are the best thing going on here.

I've had so much fun gardening, I wouldn't have thought it possible given the zone (4, or 5, depending on who you ask and where you are). If I ever need a lemon tree I'll just build a greenhouse, and I think I'm ready to start experimenting with Japanese Maples - Cleosmom, you'll have to tell me where your poor tree was situated, I'm thinking of building a little walled garden for mine.

I've been out of work and learned more than I cared to know about the "employer friendliness" of the state, and how deep that goes. But at the same time, if you are going to have to navigate a bureaucracy, give me Idaho any day!

Our neighbors are still incredible, and our out-gifting feud continues. Just the other day, I was heading in to wash some radishes, which I grow mostly because my neighbors like them, when around the fence comes a neighbor, pizza in hand for us! Not to be outdone, I sent my daughter straight over with fresh Zucchini bread, warm from the oven, only to have the neighbors force money on my kids the next day to make sure they would have a good time at Spud Day.

Moving here was one of the smartest things I ever did, and I would definitely do it again and again! I may be unemployed, but my mortgage is lower than the price of a share rental in SF, or any individual rental I ever had in California. And that is for half an acre and a giant old house in the middle of a great - and very safe - town!

Idaho, thank you for having us!!!

Last edited by norcalmom101; 09-19-2010 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Wow, can't believe it's been that long already!! Then again, the way you've blended in one would think you've been here the entire time

My Japanese Maple.... she sat right out front smack in the middle of the yard sheltered by, nothing Possibly my bad huh?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Wow, can't believe it's been that long already!! Then again, the way you've blended in one would think you've been here the entire time

My Japanese Maple.... she sat right out front smack in the middle of the yard sheltered by, nothing Possibly my bad huh?
I know it's gone by quick, but in two years you'd think you and me would have had pizza more than once Although I can't count the number of bags of dogfood we've shared ; )

I'm sorry about your tree. I am gonna hopefully get around to starting some trees by seed. When I do, I will start some for you. I've seen them for $20 (really!) at the Farmer's Market downtown. My research indicates Korean Maple might be the best way to go.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM

993 posts, read 3,253,112 times
Congrats Norcal..

I have enjoyed reading about all of your adventures.
You were very helpfull when we were trying to make the big decision.
We are still very happy here in Idaho.

Thanks again

Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESERTRYDER View Post
Congrats Norcal..

I have enjoyed reading about all of your adventures.
You were very helpfull when we were trying to make the big decision.
We are still very happy here in Idaho.

Thanks again

Thank you DESERTRYDER! Sorry I've been neglectful of all my friends here, life offline is just so very interesting

I'm really glad to hear you're loving it here. This place rocks.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:05 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
Congratulations Norcalmom. Time does fly. Soon it will be 10 then 20. So happy you are loving it here in ID.

Chris

Old 09-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Thank you : )
Toasting you all in celebration - with lime-aid, hey it's only noon!

Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
Wah Wah wah but it is Sunday Almost time for wine and beer and the hard stuff for those tough enough. Have a great one.

Chris

Old 09-19-2010, 01:24 PM

7,379 posts, read 12,670,445 times
NCM, long time no see! Good to have you back! Congrats on the first two years! Toasting you in freshly squeezed Valencia orange juice left over from brunch! A Virgin Mimosa!

Old 09-19-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
NCM, long time no see! Good to have you back! Congrats on the first two years! Toasting you in freshly squeezed Valencia orange juice left over from brunch! A Virgin Mimosa!
Yummy!! Thank you for sharing! See, who needs a lemon (or orange) tree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls