U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,973,333 times

Advertisements

Here is a link for Lava. There are several different types of pools at Lava.
I seriously doubt if they will let the 2 and 3 year old, and probably not the 6 y.o. in either in the really, really hot "soaking" type tubs. However, I haven't been there for years.

Probably, when it comes to more water park activities (and cooler water - meaning not high 90s or 100+), they will have kiddie pools etc.

So they are arriving on the 27th, is that right? If so, that's kind of the in-between weekend. A lot for kids this weekend and a lot the following. When do they leave?

I know the Chukars are playing at home that entire weekend (July 27 weekend) and into the first part of the following week. You might want to check with the Museum of Idaho (see link in earlier post) about the children's learning area. There are also some concerts and Sidewalk Art Festival on the Greenbelt. They paint kids faces, but it's not interactive for the kids compared to other activites.

I think it would be best to call Lava and ask your questions so they can give you current information. The link is: Lava Hot Springs - Olympic Swimming Complex and Hot Mineral Springs Resort.

Will you please post what you learn here so we will have it for future reference?

BTW- have you thought about a kids movie early in the day. You might want to talk to Edwards Theatres. I'll find that link if I can still remember where I saw it. Edwards was running morning movies for kids at no cost. I don't know if they still are now that Harry Potter is out, but you might want to check.

You will have more restrictions because of the 2 y.o. at many events. Check the activity boards at KIFI and KIDK, as well as the Post Register. Even if you don't subscribe to the PR, the links to the Community Events are free. The address, if you don't have it is: Postregister.com - Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - Idaho Falls, Idaho. The events and other useful information is on the left-hand side.

I'd absolutely plan on taking a drive to show off the Tetons etc. Hopefully, that can be orchestrated just right so nap time is the right time to be in the car.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 07:34 AM

Lightbulb Creative Things to Do with 2-3 Year Olds.

Missus A,

I asked some very creative and resourceful people of what they would do with nieces/nephews - especially the two who are 2 and 3 years old. I got some great ideas. I want to post them not only for you, but anyone running out of ideas of how to get throught these hot summer days.

1. Check out buying one of the various passes at the Tautphaus Park Zoo. Not only will it allow you to return an unlimited amount of times, it will also allow you to use your zoo pass and the majority of zoos in the U.S. (Missus A - Your sibling may be interested in this) and not pay the higher fees in other states.

With the correct pass for the #s you will have, you can also visit the Ross Park Zoo in Pocatello, or even Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City. The zoo staff can tell you more. The link is: www.idahofallszoo.org

2. Parents or care providers of children, Edwards Theatres does show FREE kids movies at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the summer. They don't advertise it. You'd have to check what movies for children are playing.

Some guidlines and recommendations:

a. An adult must accompany the children (and probably more than one adult would be great, given that a child might need to leave for a short time and the other kids wouldn't be without an adult they know with them).

b. No just "dumping kids off at the movies" to given adults a break.

c. It would be best to arrive with ample time before the movies start. This has become very popular word-of-mouth activity and there are NO GUARANTEES the theatres won't already be filled when you reach the window.

d. When you get to the window, tell them you are there for the free movies and how many are in your party.

e. Have fun!

3. Close to the Edwards Theatres, Pojos is close by. It's a similar playland like the one in the back of Leos.

4. When all also fails, McDonald's seems to bail any adult out of a momentary crisis with a child.

5. Go to downtown Idaho Falls and let the kids play on the benches. Those who have done this saw it's amazing what games the kids will invent for themselves. It also allows adults to perhaps grab a quick snack at various cafes, coffee house, or restaurant.

6. Buy a wading pool (but be careful how deep, given the ages of the kids).
The usual use of having some water and playtoys is what most parents/providers think of when they purchase a wading pool, but check out #7 for an idea I'd never heard or thought of previously.

7. With that wading pool DRY (perhaps prior to any water going in it) get generic Cocoa Puffs or a similar cereal and put enough in for the kids to play. This will differ for the age of the children. Then you can store the generic Cocoa Puffs for potential re-use. That's if it all hasn't been crunched, fed to family pets, eaten by the child/children or ended up elsewhere.

This usually is an outdoor activity, but could be moved indoors if blankets/sheets/ etc. are placed under the plastic wading pool so clean up is easier. Per my friends who have done this, children will be entertained for hours. Besides, if they didn't eat breakfast......well you could accomplish two goals. You most likely will want to have a clean set of clothes for each child who enjoyed him/herself in the ceral wading pool to change too.

I hope this helps many parents and others carrying for small children make it through some hot summer days. These are only suggestions, and each parent/provider must assess if these acitivities are appropriate for the child.

Just think, next year the All Access Playground should be built. So kids with disabilities will have more options too. To learn more, here is the link: Equal Access Playground. Some may want to donate or purchase the game "Idaho Falls," which can be fun for kids. This Monopoly-type of board game can be fun for kids of all ages and is for a tremendous cause.

Those of you with other suggestions of what to do to entertain kids, please post your ideas.

Old 07-22-2007, 03:31 PM

Cool CommUNITY EVENT, Best Restaurants Announced, Horse Racing etc.

Just wondering if anyone here was able to participate in the first CommUNITY EVENT yesterday? Props to Mayor Fuhriman for bringing this event back, under a different name, and with a new board, but for the same purpose.

The community members were very upset when former Mayor Linda Milam, ended what had been an annual festival celebrating diversity 4 years ago.

From KIFI- Channel 8 - LocalNews8.com Idaho Falls, Pocatello - Weather, News, Sports - Home and KIDK have coverage. It's not what I hoped it would be, but you can check. The best information is copy-righted. So until the AP picks it up and condenses it to a form that can be reprinted here, I can't explain a lot more about the festival, except those who attending absolutely being grateful this was started again.

Oh, an interesting comment, many food vendors told participants that there was easily 25% more sugar in our food than in their home countries. Two in particular, one from Russia who moved to Idaho Falls last year and owns a Russian foods store and a Man from Australia who has a local restaurant, talked about this a bit.

Apparently a lot of crafts, foods from many countries and locals teaching locals about their cultures. While sponsored by the City of Idaho Falls, all eastern ID residents, or visitors, were invited to participate.

Great to see this festival begin again, Mayor Fuhriman! People wonder if there are any black people in Idaho Falls, and in the July issue of Idaho Falls Magazine (www.IdahoFallsMagazine) they highlight the career of black attorney and activist, Reginald Reeves. He's only practice in Idaho Falls for 28 years.

If you haven't contacted I.F. Magazine for YOUR complimentary copy yet, this is the one to get. I hope to cross-reference these comments with the questions about Diversity in Idaho. I believe an a black attorney who has practiced in Idaho Falls for 28 years, and is well respected, could advise most of what it's like for the black minority.

Also, IF Magazine has the annual list of the "Best Of" restaurants......those the readers voted the best of each category and the best of the best. It does change from year to year. And while the Idaho Falls area keeps adding national chains, I was pleasantly surprised to see a restaurant that has been on the westside of the Snake River, and have to have additions built due to its popularity, WIN the Best of the Best. The Magazine even printed the menus of the biggest winners. Interestingly enough to me, one of the winners hasn't been open for a year and is a chain. However, the chain tried some new features at the Idaho Falls location and apparently it has worked!

I.F. Magazine also lists dozens of restaurants addresses and phone numbers, and splits them into specialty groups such as Italian, Mexican (lots and lots and lots of competition for this one), Sushi, Chinese etc.

Get a copy and look at it, if you haven't already. If you HAVE requested your Idaho Falls magazine and it hasn't come YET, don't worry. They were batch mailed late. When I let them know I hadn't gotten mine, we entered into an e-mail exachange, which actually pleased me as they were open to my feedback. If a mailing doesn't go out on time, put that information on your website, was my suggestion. Their response: thanks we're working on it right now.

Meanwhile, as always happens, I received my belated copy about 2 days after I contacted them asking where it was. So, if you have requested one and haven't received your copy yet, give it another 10 days. Then I would contact Idaho Falls Magazine again.

There are SOOOOOOOOOOO many things occurring today and in preparation for the WBR (rodeo), Snake River Roaring Youth Jam, and other activities, they will need a simple post.

Also, this is prime time for family reunions and I've seen many groups at various parks, restaurants, or play. PLEASE STAY SAFE!Check the fire hazard, PLEASE! We already have had a record amount of fires, and we don't get them!

And I was reminded today that the horse races at Sandy Downs continue throughout the summer.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:50 PM

4,771 posts, read 16,605,070 times
I couldn't make the festival as I worked all weekend, in fact my only day off was Thursday

Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 AM

Most people I know couldn't go, as we didn't have a lot of notice before this event happened. However, given that former Mayor Milam cancelled the similar-themed event, I'm just glad to see this one back!

I expect next year to be much larger.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:55 AM

Talking What is Happening This Week in Idaho Falls

There are so many acitivities that have been ongoing all summer, or starting this week, it is easy to see why developers have 7 new hotels either mostly built, starting to be built or will be built by 2009. It can be very difficult to get a certain type of hotel room in Idaho Falls, amid the tourists who travel to YNP and Jackson etc. vs. those who are making Idaho Falls their destination and taking day trips.

Today, some people will celebrate the 24th of July. I don't want this thread to get derailed into another discussion, so those of you planning to celebrate the 24th near or in Idaho Falls, PLEASE be safe. AND PLEASE remember no fireworks, given the fire danger!

Some other events that will continue up to and through the Roaring Snake River Youth Jam, include the Carr Gallery hosting the free Comic Book drawings for kids. Separate areas are available for "budding," and more accomplished kid artists to draw their favorite comic book characters. Then the Carr Gallery will have them on Dispaly. (I wonder how many they can display at one time?) That link is Idaho Falls Arts Council.

The Little Mermaid, for kids ages 6-17, is filled on a first come basis. (I do hope they have some room for older kids to lift props etc.) It is promoted as "educational, performance based camp." Kids get to learn all the different aspects of musical theater performance and production. For any who have kids that are shy, or don't work well with others, you may want to consider this, if appropriate. There is a fee and the link with Idaho Falls Youth Arts Council Home

A volleyball clinic starts at Apple Athletic club today and goes through Thursday. www.appleathletic (broken link) .com

Did anyone get to go to Dr. Dolittle event at the zoo on Sat.? It seems like the zoo has special activities planned for various age groups each weekend. And our local zoo may be acquiring some new residents very soon. Check the zoo page for more details. www.idahofallszoo.org

Have a happy, healthy day. If it's a special day for you, make it special for someone else as well.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:46 PM

Thumbs up Something Very Different for Fun

While I usually try to tell visitors to this thread some of what is going on in Idaho Falls this week, this post is different.

As many know, sinc 7/22/07, Horizon Air just started flying their much larger planes 74-76 seat airplanes directly to Boise, Portland, Bozeman and Seattle.

Horizon reports the fuel efficiency of the larger craft allows them to pass savings on to customers. Prices to fly to Portland and Seattle are about half of the old price. Prices to fly to Boise are over 80% cheaper.

Check Horizon's website and schedule for exact details at: Alaska Airlines / Horizon Air

Maybe some hadn't thought flying to and from Idaho Falls could be so much cheaper. These fares probably won't last for ever, so if you are thinking about a summer get away, consider taking advantage of these lower rates.

If you enjoy the Battle of the Bands Competitions, or Art Festivals and showing throughout town, plus other fun gatherings. Especially, if you've considered moving to eastern ID and want to visit, this may be the most economical time to get a flight to Idaho Falls.

If you need a hotel, I'd recommed using your favorite website to check availability.

In no way do I work for this airline or stand to gain anything from people flying on it. However, with reduction in flight costs like this are so rare, I wanted to make sure that those who don't subscribe to the local newspaper are also aware of this tremendous savings currently. Furthermore, those thinking of visiting the area prior to relocating may have no idea about the current fares.

And if you don't fly anywhere, taking your kids to the airport to watch the larger Horizone planes, plus those from all the other commercial and private aircraft land and take off, is always entertaining for the kids. It's another good summertime activity, that with the commitments of home work and other school functions, isn't always an option during the school year.

If you go to watch the various airlines, the most flights seem to be on Mondays and Fridays. ENJOY! And please let us know back here what members of your family thought about this outing.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Cool T.C. Summer Days, Residents of 8B, 4B, 1J, 1M, 1T etc. please help!

Just a quick note today. Please, anyone who wants to post upcoming events in Idaho Falls, Ammon, Bonneville County or the Idaho Falls MSA, please feel free to do so.

On Saturday, Aug. 18 starting at 1:00 pm (13:00), The Second Summer Days at Taylor's Crossing will be held. The link: Summer Days at Taylor Crossing (broken link)

It appears this will become another annual summer festival, as it was launched in 2006. Next year, the Marriott Residence Inn should be starting to fill in the land on the Snake River, and perhaps the 13 story condo building will have started construction too.

Given McNeil's plans to finish the development with Row Houses and ground level condos, let alone the 13 story tower, this event probably will change each year. If possible, you might plan to go as friends told me it was fun last year and who knows next year how much of the land people can now freely walk on might be private residences?

If anyone attended last year, will you please write a post about it here? I'll see if I can encourage a friend to post here as well as he got excellent photos. Maybe he could even upload some here. I don't know how that works.

Does anyone have any photos of Summer Days from last year's event? Wasn't that when the Bronze Statue, the largest in the U.S. got shown to the community for the first time?

Talk about things to do in Idaho Falls, I know ADULTS and kids who have driven from other states to see and photo the T.C. infamous Eagles, Mountain Lion etc. Bronze Display. Maybe we can get a pic here?! I understood small scale replicas are suppose to be available.

There are so many activities between now and when school starts, I would certainly appreciate others posting some here, as I can't keep up with them all daily and my work.

URLs are always helpful, if you have one for the event.

Thanks!

P.S. I asked someone specifically if s/he would consider posting here about their family's recent trips to YNP. I hope that person does and explains a bit about the yearly park pass etc. and what fun place YNP can be. We're so lucky to have it so close.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:25 PM

19 posts, read 88,129 times
Just following up on another post. Don't forget day trips to Yellowstone! We took our young ones there and while the long car ride wasn't ideal for them, they loved the stops at the geysers!

Yellowstone and the Teton National Park just to the South are awesome parks. A real slice of Americana.

You could not get bored of the outdoor activities to be done there. We got an annual pass for $50, which pays for itself in two visits. I look forward to camping, fly fishing and hiking/biking through the two parks.

Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Talking Great Post for Day Trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace View Post
Just following up on another post. Don't forget day trips to Yellowstone! We took our young ones there and while the long car ride wasn't ideal for them, they loved the stops at the geysers!

Yellowstone and the Teton National Park just to the South are awesome parks. A real slice of Americana.

You could not get bored of the outdoor activities to be done there. We got an annual pass for $50, which pays for itself in two visits. I look forward to camping, fly fishing and hiking/biking through the two parks.
CWallace,

Thanks for adding this post! When you have time, and if you don't mind, would you give us some general ideas about the ages of your children, how you kept them entertained enroute (did you stop at Bear World, which some say is a rip off for the $, I don't know, I have never been there) and others say their kids loved it. Please, pretty please........you probably have some ideas some of us haven't even thought of.

Any advice of extras to pack, treats for little ones, water, what protection you used for WNV protection - things others who don't live as close may not have even thought of?

Any special spots in YNP that just spoke to you? Did you kids see wildlife they hadn't seen before? I don't mean humans

I have to admit I'm not up on the NPS season pass info. Do those passes allow you in other U.S. parks, or are they limited to just YNP and Teton?

Teton NP could be a great separate post as it's hard for some to believe how similar but different the two parks are in a relatively close area.

Thanks for the post. I hope you will post more about day trips and even how you prepare for them. Do you get to have fun with the kids enjoing themselves so much? Teenagers vs. younger children pose all sorts of different challenges and rewards for those accompanying them on these visits.

BTW - have you been able to see Craters of the Moon Yet? I don't know if that would be good for your kids or not, may be age dependent. It's interesting, but I'm not sure what kids get to see/do, given their age.

Anyone have info about Craters of the Moon they can share?

Looking forward to more posts, CWallace, when you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls