U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 05:58 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,994,067 times

Advertisements

Idaho Falls has a lot of clubs and associates. From professonal organizations, like engineering clubs to the local Idaho Falls Astronomical Society Idaho Falls Astronomical Society (http://www.ifastro.org/web/index.php - broken link) (who apparently will let visitors, both local and those visiting the area, attend their meetings and especially their organized activities when they go to various places and gaze at the stars, and many other clubs/groups/organizations representing a wide variety of interests. Today, I read about a new one.

Is anyone here a member of the newly formed Idaho Falls Model Rocketry Club? Or, did anyone have a child participate in this last week's camp the club sponsored?

I hope we can hear first hand from someone who knows a child who attended. From what I know, it was a camp, costing $25, that lasted all week. Those who participated were between 11-19 years old.

As I understand it, the pre-teens and teens spent this week learning about how to build model rockets, which I believe will be or just have been launched tonight under the supervision of adult members of the Idaho Falls Model Rocketry Club.

Apparently, this newly formed club hoped for about 20 participants and got about 3 dozen. Not bad, IMO, for a their first launch at a camp (pun intended). I can see how this would be a really fun camp for kids to look forward to each year.

I don't have a URL or other information. I'm hopping someone else does. Please post it if you do. While this event is completed for this year, it's just one more thing for the teens in Bonneville and surrounding counties to do in the summer. And I believe the $25.00 fee allows them membership in the club throughout the year so they can attend the monthly meetings.

Of course, the club is open to adults.

What are some of the clubs or activities you've found for kids or adult to participate in, based in the Idaho Falls area? I'm always amazed at how many different things there are to do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:46 PM

Talking The 53rd Annual Art Guild Sidewalk Art Show, and The Arts in Idaho Falls

There are so many planned activities in Idaho Falls, and the surrounding area, today offers interesting things to do for most anyone.

I've revised my original post so this only on about the the Greenbelt, the 53rd year artists with the Eagle Rock Art Guild Sidewalk Art Show and the impressive expansion of how many artistic events the Idaho Falls Arts Councils now presents yearly.

It use to be this Art Show was held in a log cabin gallery, but the need to be on the Greenbelt so many more people could attend, and enjoy the free, face painting plus observe new mediums of Art some may not have considered previously. Plus, with live music in the background, food booths available, art lovers no longer just spent time inside a gallery but can spend hours viewing and visiting booths

Perhaps sculptures and paintings using various glass pieces, or artistic lamps with unique designs, among so many other displays too numerous to mention, are not so new throughout the U.S, but have not always available to be displayed locaaly in Idaho Falls. Also, as The Greenbelt has become more developed and expanded, plus as it is becoming a central gathering place for more and more community activities, this Eagle Rock Art Guild Show has moved to blend the best of both worlds. Many of the local paintings are in display in local gallerys.

Art Galleries in Idaho Falls are plentiful. However, I'm no expert and I sure wish an artist or a frequent visitor to the various local art galleries would post here so more details could be shared. If you know someone in active in the Idaho Falls area Arts Community, please encourage them to post (and yes, it would be fun - I think- to hear from young artists, be they musiciains, dancers, photographers or those who are using new mediums for their canvas display of art.

Classic oil painting and many other mediums often used when artists draw our world-class local beauty - The Tetons, The Sawtooth Mtns., Yellowstone or a Mesa in Henry's Fork etc., which are on display. Most of the artists who participate have work available to be purchased (some are already sold out, but display what they can create for others, if someone wants a similar piece of art). How long any given artisit's work is available varies. Some sell out in the first hour. Others aren't quite as well known.

The very vibrant and diversified Arts Community in the Idaho Falls area, is probably one of the top 3-5 "great surprises" most who move to the area find as a plus to living in Idaho Falls. Be it children experiencing "art" at 2-3 y.o. at the Snake River Roaring Youth Jam for the first time, or private studios and galleries, or public galleries, or the Colonial Theater hosting various plays, musical groups etc. throughout the year, let alone the local symphony and other community choral and musical groups who perform mostly at the Civic Auditorium, you may be surprised how much the Fine Arts are supported in eastern ID.

What has impressed me is how much the arts community, under the direction of Carrie Getty, has expanded and added activities for all ages that are art. Much like I mentioned Sylvia Medina in a different thread, talk about how ONE person can and has made such a significant different to an area. My hat is off to you Carrie, for all you've done to educate, expand, get new facilities built and truly make ART a part of the local Idaho Falls area culture.

Some parents may question how their teens practicing daily for their "Battle of the Bands" annual performance at the fun event, which is now part of the Snake River Youth Jam, is "Art." Additionally, some who pariticipate in the Battle of the Bands may cringe to think their music is considered "Art" just like a Fine Art Painting that sells for $2-3K (or more) in a local art gallery, or theater or an actor/actress in a play at the Colonial Theater or a member os the orchestra etc. .

How can rock bands be lumped together with artists who have sold painting internationally, plus to many in other states? How about some of you reading this entry, posting so the rest of us can read what you have experienced, observed or your family, friends colleagues have, participating in various "Art" exhibits, concerts, plays, multi-artistic events etc. in Idaho Falls? I know I'm not alone when I write I would like to hear diffenrt views on what you've experienced at Art Functions in Idaho Falls.

Previously held beliefs about what is or isn't ART have been shattered, the carefully rebuilt, stretched, nurtured and grown in Idaho Falls.

Along with all the s, have been thousands of happy supporters, with big and as more regional displays of artisits are making sure they have a booth at various activities. It's a good thing the Greenbelt will extend down to Snake River Landing, and the recently donated Ground for a new park on the west bank of the river, in Snake River Landing. I believe more space is needed, for these events, given the large crowds they are drawing. I have been told that not all who wanted to have booths can get them in the current space for various art displays.

And the new city park in Snake River Landing, will offer unique "art" of its own, given what one can see in that location and what will be added - but a different subject for a different day. Just know there will be MORE offerings in the future, not less.

I've always known about the Idaho Falls Symphony, the various dinner theaters or kids and adult theater offerings (although they've increased greatly the last few years), the junior musical group clubs and competitions, and about some of the various private art galleries. However, Carrie Getty's endless ideas and energy, plus residents who wanted to see more of certain artistic offerings added, have helped establish more events and locations rapidly to diversefy and increase what the Arts Community offers, during the last 5-7 years. A prime, not so well known example, are the community benches.

Named, "Art You Can Sit On," are public benches that had been transformed and shown for the first time in Sept 2005. There is an ofifical downtown Idaho Falls Cultural District with a walking tour. Apparnetly, 18 of these original works of art were placed in the Cultural District so local residents and visitors could sit down at strategic points in downtown Idaho Falls.

Some of my my friends say their little kids love to look at the art on the benches, try to draw their own version of what they've sat on (or trying their "acting skills" to try to pose like some of the paintings - but that hasn't always worked so well). Regardless, I've not heard of a child who was disappointed to discover artistic benches in the area and many think it is just to sit on a Public Bench during lunch.

During the summer months, each Tuesday evening with the various musical talent playing on the Greenbelt, as part of the EIRMC Summer River Cocert Series, some sit on, may be looking at and are hearing "Art" in Idaho Falls simultaneously. The same occurs with other concerts or jams from musicians playing on the Greenbelt.

If you come to see "Art" in Idaho Falls, come prepared to have fun and be exhausted at your choices. The Carr Gallery, in and along with the Coloniel Theatre, only highlight how local synergy has created wonderful new recreational opportunities.

I love this summary paragraph, from Grow Idaho Falls,Inc. --------www.growidahofalls.org

"Something for Everyone"

"While Eastern Idaho may be an outdoor recreation paradise, Eastern Idahoans are just as passionate about their cultural pursuits. The area offers a rich mix of live theater, symphonies and other musical entertainment, art exhibits and museums. The presence of four universities serves not only to guarantee quality higher education, but also contributes to the cultural environment.

"It's been said that Eastern Idaho is a place where people are getting the best out of life by putting their best into it.

"We think that's true. Once you've visited, we're confident you'll agree."

Please post here what YOUR experiences have been with the various Arts in hte Idaho Falls Community. And please encourage someone you know who is an artist, to register and HELP us stay current with all that is being offered.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:33 PM

19 posts, read 88,184 times
Default Day trip to YNP from I.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
CWallace,

Thanks for adding this post! When you have time, and if you don't mind, would you give us some general ideas about the ages of your children, how you kept them entertained enroute (did you stop at Bear World, which some say is a rip off for the $, I don't know, I have never been there) and others say their kids loved it. Please, pretty please........you probably have some ideas some of us haven't even thought of.

Any advice of extras to pack, treats for little ones, water, what protection you used for WNV protection - things others who don't live as close may not have even thought of?

Any special spots in YNP that just spoke to you? Did you kids see wildlife they hadn't seen before? I don't mean humans

I have to admit I'm not up on the NPS season pass info. Do those passes allow you in other U.S. parks, or are they limited to just YNP and Teton?

Teton NP could be a great separate post as it's hard for some to believe how similar but different the two parks are in a relatively close area.

Thanks for the post. I hope you will post more about day trips and even how you prepare for them. Do you get to have fun with the kids enjoing themselves so much? Teenagers vs. younger children pose all sorts of different challenges and rewards for those accompanying them on these visits.

BTW - have you been able to see Craters of the Moon Yet? I don't know if that would be good for your kids or not, may be age dependent. It's interesting, but I'm not sure what kids get to see/do, given their age.

Anyone have info about Craters of the Moon they can share?

Looking forward to more posts, CWallace, when you can!
Our kids are 6, 3 and 2. And it was our intention to take Hwy 20 up to the West Entrance of Yellowstone, but my DH took the wrong turn and we ended up taking Hwy 26 through Jackson. Amazing views! So picturesque! We stopped and happened upon the square ice cream in Swan Valley, to our children's delight. And then we dropped into Jackson and made our way up through Teton Nat'l Park.

Being from Colorado and having lived in the front range mountains, we have experienced elk, moose, deer and what-not (some up close and personal - like in our backyard!), so we weren't so quick to stop and be amazed by them. But I could empathize with those who don't have the Rocky Mountains in their backyard and how they would find the entire experience so astounding. The beauty of YNP is a step above even Rocky Mountain Nat'l park which is only about 45 mi. from our CO front door.

I was particularly taken with the geysers and hot springs. I've read up quite a bit on the geothermal activity of YNP and am just amazed at the activity within the area.

We did the entire YNP trip, from I.F. through the South Entrance, stopping at the geyser spots, then around and out the West Entrance, in a day trip from about 9a-7p door-to-door. We packed lunches, water bottles and drinks for us and had our usual trip snacks of crackers, granola bars and what not. We do have a DVD player for the kids on road trips, but we wouldn't turn it on after Jackson and talked with the kids about the sights. They were a little young to appreciate it, but enjoyed the stops.

Be sure to bring sunscreen and OFF for the mosquitos. But it was pretty breezy throughout YNP, so we didn't even need to use it.

We'd been to Jackson a couple times before, so didn't stop for any of the sights there. But West Thumb geyser basin was an excellent first stop to let the kids run. The entire boardwalk wasn't too far for them to make it around, but we did have our 2 y.o. in the stroller. We had a 15 minute wait for Old Faithful and let the kids walk around and climb a bit. We also had ice cream at the Old Faithful grand lodge next to Old Faithful, the lodge was a sight in itself. We didn't walk the expansive boardwalks to the other geysers near Old Faithful, but did see them from afar. Our 3 y.o. is very into geysers and to see even the smallest one erupt was an exciting event.

Then the boys fell asleep after Old Faithful, so we just enjoyed the sights from the car as we drove out of the park. But I can easily envision us packing our bikes in and, if not camping, then staying at a cabin or a lodge and doing day bike and hike trips around. My 6 year old is getting into fishing so she would very much enjoy some of the river fishing. My husband is a beginner fly fisher, another reason why we got the annual pass, we are sure to be back several times.

We only got an annual pass that will give us access to YNP and Teton Nat'l. For another $30, one could get an Interagency pass good at all or most of the national parks in the U.S.

It was a great trip and we went knowing we'd spend the majority of the day in the car. Again, I look forward to going and spending most of the day out of the car and biking, hiking, playing the lake in Grand Teton, etc.

We did see Bear World on a different day, and while we balked at the $50 entrance fee, the kids found the bears to be amazing and we were one of the lucky cars that had a bear come right up, rear up and put its paws on our car (must've smelled the jerky we had inside). I wouldn't do it again, but it was worth a visit once.

Bon voyage!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:46 PM

19 posts, read 88,184 times
Default Fishing in Rexburg and Bear World

Another idea for a day activity, we went fishing at the small lakes in Rexburg. They are just east of the airport, not hard to get to. Not quite 30 minutes from Ammon to the lakes. They are well stocked and when the kids get bored of fishing, the ducks are veeerrry friendly - and hungry! So bring plenty of bread.

We then stopped at Bear World after fishing. One should note that Bear World is small and we didn't spend more than a couple hours there, so I wouldn't recommend planning it as an entire day activity. It does have a petting zoo and some amusement park rides for more $$. It's chinzy and expensive, but it truly is a unique activity to be able to go drive so close to the black bears.

And for those not from the RM Region, they have a buffalo and some elk as well. The petting zoo did have tame deer which my kids really love petting.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:26 AM

Thumbs up Last Weekend in July

CWallace,

Those were great posts. I hope you'll add more, as you experience various other day trips, or trips that last hours.

Your point about Rexburg's bear world NOT being enough for a full day is very valuable, I believe, to those not familiar with the area. On a map and reading about various places to visit, it can be very difficult how much time to allow to drive to and from somewhere and how much time at the actual intended location.

Your post certainly supports what I've been told by others that one can arrive at Bear World at an "off" time and pay a lot of $ for limited activity. Or, if arriving at the right time, one may see more. I've been told by a number of people the cost is really quite high for families for what the kids get to do.

Thanks for posting such great articles.

Fishing and eastern ID - you may not know the annual fly fisherman's convention is held in eastern ID each year. Harris Publishing, who prints Idaho Falls Magazine, also prints about a dozen magazines for national distrution. I'll see if there is a link to that info somewhere and post it.

If you like to fly fish, you might want to check where your favorite magazine about the subject was printed. The writers live locally as well.

But, you make another really good point, IM, about being prepared for children who may get bored of fishing when their parents aren't. Thanks for the info!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:54 AM

Question Idaho International Dance and Music Festival

Up the road about 25 miles is Rexburg and home of BYU-Idaho.

For many years, an International Dance Festival has been held at the end up July or first of Aug. in Rexburg. The numbers of those who particpate and observe, keep growing. The name keeps changing.

I don't have a direct link for this festival, as all I've seen take you to the Rexburg City page or other links that post about the festival. If you are in the area, you might want to see part of this festival that ends today.

Dianna Troyer of AmericanProfile.Com wrote in her article, "Dance of the Nations,"

"The eruption of music, color, and street dancing suggests the United Nations is holding a party and the world is invited. For seven full days, folk dancers from around the world, arrayed in a rainbow of costumes, transform Main Street into a musical microcosm of world cultures greeted by the cheers of thousands.

"This isn’t Times Square, however; it’s Rexburg, Idaho, during the midsummer Idaho International Folk Dance Festival when folk dancers from such places as Brazil, Peru, Indonesia, Romania, China, South Korea, and the nearby Shoshone-Bannock Indian tribe transform Main Street into a swirling blur of color.

"The festival is rated one of the top 100 events in North America by a trade organization of tour groups, and it has been transforming Rexburg’s streets into a world stage since 1986.

" 'There are only three other festivals like this nationwide, two in Utah and one in North Carolina,' ” says festival executive director Donna Benfield.

"The festival’s mission is to promote international understanding through dance, while showcasing the cultural heritage of both Rexburg and the state of Idaho. Dancers teach workshops for three days followed by three days of performing shows, and Rexburg’s 17,257 citizens wouldn’t miss it for anything."

Citizens far beyond Rexburg attend this festival, including those from Idaho Falls and other states.

If YOU or someone YOU KNOW has more information about this festival, would you please post it here? I've been told it is a lot of fun, but I'm not sure if little ones would enjoy it and some of those details.

Since I hope we can make this, or a silimar thread of activities to plan for this and next year, it would be useful to have that info here too. Thanks.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:24 AM

Oh, I keep forgetting. For those of you who love baseball, Idaho Falls does have a Minor League team, affiliated with Kansas City Royals. Currently in first place in the Pioneer League South, the Chukars are at home right now.

To learn more about their game today and other upcoming games, as well as the new Melaleuca Field, and even their opponents (teams in Orem and Ogden, UT; Casper, WY; and teams in Great Falls, Helena, Billings and Missoula, MT) you might want to visit their website: Idaho Falls Chukars: Home

It is kind of interesting to look at the MiLB.Com (for minor league) to see where teams are located. The Chukars are the only team between Ogden, Ut to the south, Boise to the west, Caspar, WY to the east and Helena, MT to the North.

If nothing else, reading the history and looking at the new field can be entertaining for adults and kids.

Enjoy today everyone. Tell us what YOU did in eastern ID today, besides the Art Gallery Show, the Dance Festival, The Chukars Games, a Religious/Patriotic Concert today. More information of what activities happen daily is good for those trying to learn about the area.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:02 PM

4,776 posts, read 16,630,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Enjoy today everyone. Tell us what YOU did in eastern ID today, besides the Art Gallery Show, the Dance Festival, The Chukars Games, a Religious/Patriotic Concert today. More information of what activities happen daily is good for those trying to learn about the area.
After working several days in a row, I've finally gotten back to domestic duties The life I lead, I've cleaned my floors in the kitchen, dining room and living room, even shampooed the living room carpet! I've brushed both of my dogs (outsides of course, the birds love the nesting material provided ) and bathed my male as he needed it. Still working on laundry and fixing to run and grab a few items from the store.

After the sun drops I get to scoop the back lawn and mow it as well.

All these fun things in this thread to do and here I am polishing my domestic goddess crown

Old 07-30-2007, 02:22 AM

Question Fun Can Occur in Many Places; Maybe It's the People?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
After working several days in a row, I've finally gotten back to domestic duties The life I lead, I've cleaned my floors in the kitchen, dining room and living room, even shampooed the living room carpet! I've brushed both of my dogs (outsides of course, the birds love the nesting material provided ) and bathed my male as he needed it. Still working on laundry and fixing to run and grab a few items from the store.

After the sun drops I get to scoop the back lawn and mow it as well.

All these fun things in this thread to do and here I am polishing my domestic goddess crown
cleosmom,

I can relate to all of those days working in a row. It's been hard enough working to know some of the activities that that have been occurring, and me stuck inside doing my best at work.

But, my most sincere compliments for your "domestic goddess crown" to get spotlighted this week. Maybe someone who enjoys and has time to do all those chores more regularly would post here of why they think house and yard work are fun..... I'd be interested. After all, it could be a top 10 "fun" activitiy to look forward to any day of the year, for those who enjoy the in and outdoor work.

Please, if you are one who has fun while cleaning, mowing the lawn, caring for your pets etc., which many find cumbersome or boring, PLEASE share your ideas here so the rest of us might be able to adjust our thinking a bit and join in the fun.

After all, wasn't that part of the barn-raising activities. After a day of work there was a dinner and social, with dancing, to get neighbors together, if I remember correctly.

I wonder how a neighborhood block party of neighbors helping neighbors clean up would go over? Any thoughts or practical experiences with that idea? It would allow some to visit neighbors they don't see much and think of how much property value might increase, with the nifty freshly-clean up and organized look, to the neighborhood. What do YOU think about this idea for fun?

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-30-2007 at 02:33 AM..

Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 AM

I'll share one thing I do to make grocery shopping more fun, as I personally don't need the fruit or cereal sections to talk to me or to hear people yelling at each other etc. - all those fun things that can occur in a grocery store.

I wear either my MP3 or my Mini Disc and listen to music I like. Both my MP3 and Mini Disk also have an FM option, if I want to listen to the radio, instead of music or programs I previously recorded or downloaded .

Additionally, I have friends who download either weekly NPR shows, or other programming to their MP3s, or even the Idaho Falls City Council Meeting Minutes so they can hear what happened and better informed. Many say they feel like they have accomplished a "two-fer," Grocery Shopping and listening to pogr that kind of information interesting, say they feel like they got a two-fer. Groceries are bought, but the person listen to the minutes or even concerts while they shop.

Maybe it's similar to Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. "Just whistle while you work." Maybe in 2007 it is just listening while you shop as the "in" adaptation.

Has anyone else tried anything like this?

Also, what are other favorite sources of free downloads to MP3s that others use?

I'm looking forward to your answers. Someone may have an excellent idea to make vacuuming fun, and I'm sure wanting to know how you make THAT happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls