U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 01:11 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,984,021 times

Advertisements

Oops, it looks like I didn't see a local golf tournament that was held yesterday.

You might want to mark it on your calendars for next year.

I really don't have information about the local golf scene (3 public courses and the Country Club, plus a couple of other golf courses within 20 minutes). If golf is your passion, get connected to the Idaho Falls Golfers via various Internet sites. This is a good general link, and you should be able to find more info from the various URLs.

I've heard the courses are great - a couple in particular are local favorites. Enjoy your time on the greens and enjoying the great outdoors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 10:42 AM

17 posts, read 82,381 times
Having been to the Bear World, I would say it isn't worth the money. It definately isn't a full day event, and I was disappointed.

A trip to Mesa Falls is well worth it. It is gorgeous and amazing. There is a climate within a climate there that is truly amazing.

Any trip into Yellowstone is fun. A day trip is just perfect to hit all the hot spots.

Don't forget "Craters of the Moon" that is a fun hike and daytrip on the days that aren't so hot. It is really neat to see!

I know it has already passed, but mark your calendar for next year. The 4th of July Freedom Celebration Fireworks are just amazing. You can make a whole day of it on the Green belt, or watch from a distance.

Also around the 4th is the Feild of Flags off Broadway. It is a really neat thing to see and walk through hundreds of flags. And while you are on that side of town, stop by Reed's Dairy for the best ice cream cones. You can either walk in or drive thru.

On August 25th the Reed's Dairy is having "Family Day". This is where they have wagon rides around the farm and tours of how they make and process milk. It is getting bigger every year. My kids love to see all the farm animals, and the pony rides. There are lots of things to do and see. Right next door is a little shop so you can do a bit of shopping while there.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:18 AM

41 posts, read 146,145 times
lei, I founc bear world semi neat when I went, but not worth the price or the hype. growing up in blackffot/idaho falls area sometimes the coolest thing to do is just go fish the river. or go up on the bench and take long range night shots of the valley. but I am weird

Old 08-10-2007, 03:41 PM

James, I agree, definately not worth the hype. Fishing and just enjoying the fresh air and scenery is the best, hands down. I guess I am weird too.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:10 AM

Thumbs up Great Reviews!

Thank you, LeiGul and JamesinLittleRock, for relaying your experiences about Bear World. I try to bring discussion topics up, but believe those who have actually been to the events/or advertised places to visit have the best tips for those looking for some pointers.

I have certainly heard opinions that second both of yours (minus the weirdness thoughts) about Bear World.

LeiGul, Thank you so much for your addition, "On August 25th the Reed's Dairy is having "Family Day". This is where they have wagon rides around the farm and tours of how they make and process milk. It is getting bigger every year. My kids love to see all the farm animals, and the pony rides. There are lots of things to do and see. Right next door is a little shop so you can do a bit of shopping while there."

I think I've heard of this activity at Reed's Diary, but know so little about it. Would you please post a full post about it? Is there a cost, what ages of kids can go, anything special you should take along with what other activities are there to do? It would be really helpful if you could give us an address, the hours, or give us other details about the Reed's Diary activity? For those who are new to the area, visiting, or considering moving to Idaho Falls, it is always nice, I think, to try to describe a bit of what is going on.

I'll have to look at my calendar to see if the Reed's Dairy "Family Day," is the week before or the same week as the second year's celebration at Taylor's Crossing. A lot of things are getting packed into Aug., and that isn't even counting family reunions, weddings, back-to-school nights etc. - so many OTHER activities that are when they are due to school starting in a few short weeks.

I don't know if most people have realized this past summer, Idaho Falls has had an activity on the Greenblelt, and often elsewhere in the city, each weekend. I do look for more and more activities as Taylor's Crossing and Snake River Landing are adding more and more to hundreds of acres south on the riverbank.

Also, LeiGul, would you post in a separate post about Craters of the Moon? It is so overlooked by many, and most probably don't know that NASA uses it to train. How old should kids be who go there and about how long should parents or other visitors plan to explore the lava formations? Anything special guests should pack or plan? Many newer to our area may not know much about it. Is it a good adult get away for a few hours?

Your words about Mesa Falls leve me more interested Would you please explained what you mean, "There is a climate within a climate there that is truly amazing." I want to make sure I understand what you are saying when you wrote, by "climate within a climate."

It was great to have both of you LeiGul and JamesinLittleRock leave comments! Please fel free to drop in this thread as often as you would like and leave tips of what there is to do and see in Idaho Falls and the surrounding world.. Many miss the really gorgeous and some of the most beautiful parts of Idaho Falls, aiming and heading strictly to the much better known YNP or the Tetons etc.

We plan to keep this thread going and would LOVE to have posts from both of you (and others who can recommend) outings or day trips etc. for those those will have leisure time in the Idaho Falls area.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 PM

Talking Snake River Roaring Youth Jam, Duck Race

Did anyone attend or participate in any of the dozens of activities involved with The Snake River Roaring Youth Jam or the 17th year the Rotary Club of Idaho Falls hosted Great Snake River Greenbelt Duck Race?

For those who don't know, thousands of plastic snakes are released at the John's Hole Bridge, "after adoption," and the first few to make it to the finish line reward those who adopted them with prizes. The prizes for the winners are not small, with the first place prize being a 2007 Pontiac G6 Grand AM - all if your duck navigates the course the best and fastest to make you a winner. Proceeds from this event have been donated back by the Rotary Club for greenbelt improvements.

The funds from this year will be added to those from the last two years so the Greenbelt Walkway expansion work now may start between Pancheri and Sporstman' Park. Yes - even more for local residents and visitors to reserach about Idaho Falls - Sportsman's Park - an Island where some even decide to exchange their wedding vows at that location.

As long as you are looking, check out Gem Lake Marina or Gem Lake Harbor in Idaho Falls. Just a little more to learn about the area.

If you participated in any of the dozens of activities this past week, what did you enjoy most? What do you think needs updated?

Apparently, one newly added activity was a huge success with the little ones: "The Giant Fish Scramble." The allowed children and about 200 donated troust in 6 inches of water together. The goal was for kids to catch the fish with their bare hands. From what I saw, this was clearly a favorite activity and one I hope will be expanded next year.

Do you have more information about this, or other new additions to SRRYJ? The cool thing is the funds from this year's ~ 15,000 adopted ducks floating on the river to victory, is over $50,000 was raised. Paired with the funds from the last two years, with the additional Greenbelt sidewalk that will be built, they will allow everything from the Weekly Summer's Farmer's Market, to the SRRYJ and perhaps even selections of where people see the 4th of July activities with more paved sidewalk.

Great day, great food and great fun were seemed to the themes yesterday at these joint activities. For some reason I didn't realize how many of the big restaurants offered food.

I hope more of you will share your experiences and tips of what those visiting for next year might know.

I haven't touched on the "HOG SHOW" for biking enthusiasts, or many of the arts for kids, or other displays shown. I'm hoping others will share those aspects of this growing events.

I laugh at those locals who don't believe anyone comes to Idaho Falls for anything. If there were available hotel rooms in Idaho Falls this past weekend, I'd like to know where they were. Every hotel I know was
FULL!

Looking forward to your stories as you have a chance to write them in this thread.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-12-2007 at 09:34 PM..

Old 08-13-2007, 04:01 PM

The Taylors Crossing Summer Event is on the 18th of August. THey are having two concerts and showing an outdoors movie (Wild Hogs). I am not sure what else is planned, but it is sure to be a lot of fun.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:04 PM

Reed Dairy's Family Day
August 25th – 11am - 3pm
Cost: Free (besides the cost of the best ice-cream in town)
Location: 2660 West Broadway - Corner of Broadway and Bellin across the street from the Maverick Gas Station.

Activities:
Horse drawn wagon rides around the farm to see all the animals.
Pony Rides
Animal Petting area
Cow Milking contest
Tour of the facilities (Which is really interesting to see)

This is a fun event for the entire family; kids of all ages can go and have fun. Last year they had wagon rides around the farm, pony rides and if I remember right they had food there (besides ice cream). I would take your own water as it can be pricey, and don't forget your sunscreen.

Old 08-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Craters Of The Moon

Craters Of The Moon
Open Daily from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Cost: 8$ Per vehicle. Foot pay is $4. Individuals 15 and under are free. They accept credit cards. It is free during the winter.
Location: The visitor center is located off Highway 20/26/93 mid-way between Arco and Carey, Idaho.

Activities:
Hiking Trails
Caves
Visitors Center
Exhibits
Bookstore

You can find maps and more information about the caves at Craters of the Moon NM & Preserve: The Cave Trail and for the hiking trails: http://www.nps.gov/archive/crmo/hikingtrailmap.jpg
Remember that Lava rock radiates heat, so wear sunscreen, a hat and carry a lot of water. You can fill up your water bottles at the visitors center.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM

Cool What to Do With the Few Remaining Days Before School Starts?

Last week was so busy there was hardly time to write here. There are still many activities occurring locally.

One website you might want to check is Idaho State University's website at: Idaho State University. The school has some organized projects for all of eastern ID which I will defer further information about these events to ISU. The people organizing those displays and activities for fund raisers I hope will post somewhere about their efforts.

Are you ready for school to start? Are you days, or nights, filled with getting the supplies and clothes the kids need to go back to school? Or, are you taking those last chance family breaks before school starts? Historically, in eastern ID, one could consider going "school shopping" and taking an out-of-state trip one and the same. Many with school age kids travel to Salt Lake City and Lagoon (huh, where are school clothes at Lagoon?) or other places this time of year to get clothes they may not be able to currently buy in Idaho Falls. But, will that tradition continue? Or will families just declare last summer vacations for what they are and not have to worry about shopping for school?

With the upper scale shops going in at Snake River Landing, will your family have an excuse for that same trip next year, or will other families be coming to Idaho Falls to shop at stores they don't have in their area? We already see that happening, which is one reason more hotel rooms are being built. However, in focusing on Idaho Falls and what families and individuals are doing for fun this week, I'm impressed with how many families leave to go "school shopping" this week prior to school starting. It will be interesting to see if there is a pattern shift in a year or two when those rumored higher end stores arrive in Idaho Falls.

Have you reached your quota of Go-Carts, Blockbuster movies and other commercial activities often associated with summer. Here are some last minute ideas of what to do with the time before school starts.

For those who stay in Idaho Falls this week, don't forget the free movies on Tuesdays and Wednesdays which last through the month, at the Edwards Theaters.

The ZooEducation Camps and Classes are in full swing. Check those out, if you haven't already. New discoveries and surprises will surely be found at this Camp and Educational Center.

Continuing Art Displays, "The River Remembers," and the Art Museum of Eastern Idaho continues to display art by regional colored pencil artists.

If you haven't checked out Yellowstone National Park, Craters of the Moon, the Tetons, Jackson Hole and/or Sun Valley, what are you waiting for? These natural wonders in our area are only dreamed about by some. You can make them realities for you or a family. See the above articles by CWallace and LeiGul about these sites.

Registration is currently taking place for those younger children who wish to participate in September classes at the Art Museum of Eastern Idaho (The Art Museum of Eastern Idaho). If this is something that interests your child, make sure you get him/her signed up now as space is limited.

Tired of focusing so much energy on ensuring your kids had a fun summer and are ready to go back to school? Tonight is an adult evening of the "Beastly Bash," the 4 hr. fundraiser for Tautphaus Park Zoological Society. Said to have dinner, dancing, silent and live auction shows plus music throughout the evening, of course this fund raiser would be held at Tautphaus Park. A contact Kelly is listed at: (208) 529-0812. Learn more about it and take your favorite adult with you to this worthwhile benefit.

If you want to get prepared for one last, local family outing, you may have to split your time this Sat. between the local Farmers Market, Reed Dairy's Family Day (see details provided by LeiGul) and Summer Days at Taylor's Crossing.

Careful planning will allow you to participate in the best activities at Reed's Dairy's Family Day and Summer Days. They don't compete, rather highlight each other.

Summer Days at Taylor's Crossing will feature C/W singer Chris Cagle, an Open Air Cinema where the movie "About Wild Hogs," will be shown, a Hypnotist, Food available from about 2 dozen vendors, including some of the newest sandwich and other food shops in town, a BMX show and so much more are planned at NO COST (except possibly the cost of commercial food items) to anyone wishing to participte.

Plan your time at Summer Days by searching the Taylors Crossing Website at: Taylor Crossing on the River.

If you go to Summer Days, take your cameras and hopefully some pics can get uploaded here. More importantly, with the construction planned for this year, there should be quite a different landscape next year than this year. This may be your last chance to photograph parts of Idaho Falls' history before re-development occurs.

Regardless of what activities you do, please be careful, take precautions for West Nile Virus and have FUN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls