U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 05:02 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,945,777 times

Advertisements

Baseball is heating up in Idaho Falls given some close games this last week that have come down to pitching talent. If you want to get prepared for the playoffs and learn more about the Chukars, plan on attending a home game tonight, tomorrow or soon. Idaho Falls Chukars: Home

Also, it is my understanding, individual Chukars players will be available at Taylor Crossings Sunny Days Festival on Saturday, 8/18. Taylor Crossing on the River.

Just announced is that the Museum of Idaho will have the "Ink and Blood" Display of the Dead Sea Scrolls for about 14 more days than the museum thought. If you haven't seen this impressive exhibit, this may be your last chance to see actual Dead Sea Scrolls locally, for a long time. The Museum of Idaho

If you want more solitude on Saturday, you might want to put your fishing pole in your vehicle and head toward Swan Valley. "Art in the Park" is presented by the Sun Valley City Council. To learn the hours and admission price, you can contact: swanvalleyarts@silverstar.com.

Along with all the local league baseball games getting close to their championship games, there are many other activities signaling that cooler weather and fall will be upon us soon.

Enjoy some clean air and fun this last Friday of Summer for all students!

At least for over 10,000 students, this is the last weekend of "freedom," as District #93 starts back to school next week.

So make the most of this weekend, from the many choices of activities.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 04:06 AM

Question The First H.S. Football Games of the Season

High School Sports officially started with the first football games last night.

It would be great if any unbiased, or even biased, observers of the different area teams could tell us more about local teams this year. And while the local football teams are all male players (at least to the best of my knowledge), never doubt that girls are busy in their sports too. I believe it is usually Volleyball for girls first, then both boys and girls basketball (for interdistrict play).

Most of us know that Skyline High School and Idaho Falls High School play the "Emotion Bowl," closer to the end of the season. Does Dist. #93 do anything similar? Do Hillcrest and Bonneville meet in an Intra District contest? If not, has this ever been considered?

Would there be enough interest and a reason for a benefit either for District #93 or a community project to pursue a similar game like the Emotion Bowl?

I hope those of you who are in a position to know, are involved in coaching, officiating or having kids involved in the athletic programs etc. will comment about this idea for Dist #93.

Also, I hope we can hear from some of those new to the area about their views of District #91 continuing the tradition of the Emotion Bowl and what District #93 should do.

It would be great to hear how Inter-District and Intra-District traditional games were played where newer residents use to live.

Also, should ball games, between Inter or Intra-District Rivals be played for fund raisers? If so, should the school districts benefit or local non-profit agencies etc.?

Old 08-18-2007, 07:24 AM

Exclamation Equal Access Playground for Children with All Abilities - Core Being Built Today

If you are reading this, then you most likely are not one of the first 200 people to volunteer their time and talent in building the main structure of the Equal Access Playground. (But you can volunteer to help in the next phase or with other aspects of this project).

There are many sources of this information. Mine comes from Idaho Falls Magazine, July/Aug. 2007 Edition

"It’s time to build the first universally accessible playground in our area! The Equal Access Playground has begun to take shape, with the main structure to be built on Saturday, August 18th. The location is Shelter 2 in Tautphaus Park, just north of Funland.

"Nearly 200 area volunteers have been organized into teams to work together in community build fashion to assemble the main structure in one day, Phase I of the project. Volunteers will meet at 7 a.m. for registration and orientation, and the day’s activities will begin at approximately 8 a.m.

"The playground committee, in conjunction with Parent-to-Parent, has been raising funds for the playground for the past two years and is pleased to invite the local media to join us on build day and share the event with the community.

"Area residents and businesses have been a great support to the project, and the committee would like to extend a warm “Thank You” to all who have helped in any way to build the dream. Time, talent, grants, funds, and in-kind donations, to name a few means of support, have all been donated by many individuals and businesses. Mayor Fuhriman noted at the ground breaking ceremony that this project has really brought the community together with diverse fundraising efforts, all of which are very much appreciated.

"It has been said that together we can do great things. Come out and visit with the committee and build volunteers on this momentous occasion and see what our community has brought to fruition – enjoy the beauty of inclusion."

For more information, please contact Shannon Amy Stockwell, Editor, Today’s Playground Magazine, 208.251.2595.

Or, The Equal Access Playground website now has a lot of detailed information about the playground equipment, building schedule etc. If you know any disabled child in the Idaho Falls area who will now have a place to go play, like other kids, and you can help with this project either with your time and talents or donations, please do. Everyone benefits from this wonderful addition to Idaho Falls, especially those most unable to request what they need for themselves.

Equal Access Playground

You can be a part of Idaho Falls History by being involved with this project.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Exclamation Equal Access Playground - Day #1 of Volunteers Building a Safe, Fun Playground for Children

LocalNews8.com Idaho Falls, Pocatello - Weather, News, Sports - Construction Begins On All Access Playground

Equal Access Playground Volunteers complete a lot on their first day of work.

This project has been 3 years coming together. The $250,000 playground will allow children in wheelchairs to swing, children to climb a "mountain" without getting hurt etc. Previously, children in eastern ID either had to travel to Logan, UT (about 150 miles southeast) or to Canyon County in the Boise Metro area (about 300 miles west) to have a safe playground to have fun like all kids should.

Imagine the delighted squeals and play coming from children never or rarely able to play with others in a park with playground equipment that doesn't hurt them. I can't wait to see the finished project!

If you weren't able to volunteer any time, materials or contribute to this project in anyway, there is still time. The second all volunteer work day will be on Aug. 27th.

There are unique pieces of equipment and even a mural created by the children who will benefit from this playground. Each created their mural expressing what this playground means to them. I can't even imagine how moving this mural will be......

This is Phase I of this playground. It is my sincere hope when citizens see how many children visit Idaho Falls, let alone local residents, to have a day to safely play like other kids, that Phase II won't take 3 years to complete.

If you are new in town, or even if you are a life-long resident who doesn't feel as connected as you would like to other residents, this is a perfect opportunity to give of yourself and meet others who share that same willingness to help children. I've not heard of any volunteer being turned away. I believe volunteers from surround communities who have children that will benefit from this tremendous addition to Idaho Falls, would be welcome as well.

I recently heard a discussion of why people visit Idaho Falls. I seriously doubt many of have thought of the families who will now come so their child or children, who cannot safely play in a regular park, can now have an afternoon, morning or even full day to play safely. However, I believe these families will come as so few parks like this exit.

Congratulations to the parents, volunteers, I.F. City Council and so many others who are making this dream a reality. You've done a GREAT JOB!

Equal Access Playground

This post will also go on one of the threads asking questions about Idaho Falls. The more people who know about the opportunity they can make in the lives of these kids, the better.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-19-2007 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add URL for those who want to help.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:01 PM

For some reason the link to the Equal Access Playground's website didn't show up as a link. If you want more information, here it is:
www.equalaccessplayground.org

Old 08-22-2007, 05:25 AM

With school starting can there be time to do anything else but get everyone out the door in time to catch the bus or walk to school?

Both D#91 and D#93 had more students than anticipated. I suppose it could be entertaining (only if you didn't have a child involved, or weren't a teacher) to watch the process of where the extra 350+ kids in Dist #91 will be placed.
And in D#93, who knows from one year to the next where kids will go to school? It depends on the latest subdivisions and the age of the new residents (or their children).

But, think of the fun. With school starting, there will be new drawings and special pieces of "art" for the refrigerator. There is football, volleyball and other clubs that are growing larger each year. A lot of fun things, such as homecoming at most High Schools and Colleges occur each fall.

Some may be surprised to learn of some the more unique activities available to kids living in Bonneville County.

Idaho Falls High School has one of less than 10 Drumlines, in Idaho. The person who started the organization at I.F. High now writes musci professionally for drum lines. I'll try to find that information to print, as many kids were influenced by the movie of the same name.

Likewise, many parents are dumbfounded to find an actual Drumline has been established for several years (and getting better as they perform for the girls basketball and other events) at I.F. High School. I wish another school would do the same to give more students the opportunity of a Drumline.

What does your family or you do for fun or different activities as school starts? Please share some ideas here, as the numbers of new students suggest we have many new residents living in our area.

MSR

P.S. Should back to school shopping be considered a top 10 thing to do. Or is it one of those duties/responsibilities that must be done yearly, so why complain about it - you still have to do it? What do YOU think about back to school shopping?

Old 08-23-2007, 03:03 AM

Thumbs up Gordon Lightfoot, "Weird Al" Yankovic

I got confused by one day this week. I wanted to write about Gordon Lightfoot's concert as something to do. Instead, what I need to ask is if anyone attended what you thought? Please write a review including any comments Mr. Lightfoot made about a return appearance (hopefully).

Both Gordon Lightfoot, and the upcoming concert of "Weird Al" Yankovik, on Sept. 8, have been totally sold out. I wish the artists would arrange two shows when so many people are interested in their music (or in Weird Al's case, his "performance" for lack of better words).

The Idaho Falls Arts Council has season tickets on sale for all the performances this year. Their website is at: Idaho Falls Arts Council.

Please write a review of any of these shows you see. Citizens demanding more concerts will be a big part of what the City of Idaho Falls does with Ball Venture's offer of contributing the land for the Events Center.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:17 AM

Besides planning for Ammon Days on Saturday along with the Reed Dairy Farm Family Days (I hope I got that name correct), the competitive interschool football is usually played on Friday nights. Parents bragging wars (or complaining, as the case may be) seem to be a national Sat. activity.

Have some fun though and attend either Ammon Days or the Reed Dairy Farm Activity that allows customers to see their whole facility, instead of rehashing last night's game. Or, if you are going to rehash the calls from the football games, do it somewhere fun.

Ammon Days - if someone knows some about them, woud you please write it here as a separate entry? Is it strictly for Ammon residents or can others attend? What acitivites are planned as I saw a lot on the list.

The Reed's Dairy tour, horseback riding, games and music etc. should be very educational. How many people really know how a dairy functions every day to be able to bring you the high quality products that Reed's Dairy does?

If you have recently moved to the area, know this is a full-service company that still delivers milk, eggs, cheese (I think) and other items the dairy providers for customers. If you want to check out their products, I'm told their ice cream is second to none. This may help you with some of your needs with you new life in Idaho Falls and probably Ammon. Be sure to ask how far they deliver products and how often, as I honestly don't know.

Reed's Dairy has a relative that gave up his other full-time job to deliver fresh Reed's Dairy products in the Boise area. Not many realize that the Reed's Dairy and Delivery in Boise is a relative of the Reeds in Idaho Falls. there is a lot to do the last weekend of Aug.

Please write a review of either activity, if you attend. Let folks know what they may want to plan on doing next year. If you look at either the activities listed in this thread or a community calendar, there have been festivals and gatherings each weekend in Aug. and most every other weekend this summer. The weekends each activity - the annual Art Show, the Snake River Roaring Youth Jam, Spud Fest, Summer Days at Taylor's Crossing and Reed Dairies Family Fun Days or Festival, plus the City of Ammon activity, are constant - the same weekend for each activity.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:30 AM

Thumbs up Equal Access Playground Picture, Does Anyone Have Any Pics They Can Share?

I earlier wrote the following about the Equal Access Playground being built in Idaho Falls, Phase I.

"If you weren't able to volunteer any time, materials or contribute to this project in anyway, there is still time. The second all volunteer work day will be on Aug. 27th.

"There are unique pieces of equipment and even a mural created by the children who will benefit from this playground. Each created their mural expressing what this playground means to them. I can't even imagine how moving this mural will be......

"This is Phase I of this playground. It is my sincere hope when citizens see how many children visit Idaho Falls, let alone local residents, to have a day to safely play like other kids, that Phase II won't take 3 years to complete.

"If you are new in town, or even if you are a life-long resident who doesn't feel as connected as you would like to other residents, this is a perfect opportunity to give of yourself and meet others who share that same willingness to help children. I've not heard of any volunteer being turned away. I believe volunteers from surround communities who have children that will benefit from this tremendous addition to Idaho Falls, would be welcome as well."

I urge you to click the link as I can't get the picture to copy - I must need some coaching on that. (volunteers welcome, a PM would be nice).

Please take the time to see what cool play equipment was built in less than one day.

www.equalaccessplayground.org

The site gives this information: "The City of Idaho Falls has provided land at Tautphaus Park Shelter #2, (which is behind Funland). The city will maintain the playground after it is completed. The playground has been designed for Universal Access, which goes beyond ADA requirements and 70% of the activities will be accessible for children with disabilities. The playground will offer:

"Ramp access and play panels at ground level.
"Surfacing that walkers and wheelchairs can ride over with ease.
"Activities that enhance the development of every child.
"Opportunity for inclusion and learning through play.
"Recreation for people of all abilities."

For all those who participated, if you've clicked on the above link, you've seen what about 175 people were able to do in a day.

Are you new in town and don't know anyone, volunteer to help. No job is too little. Everything done benefits children for hundreds of miles, as well as local children. See who to contact and how through the website.

My most sincere congratulations, admiration and thank you to these wonderful people working together for the good of children who haven't had the opportunity to play in local playgrounds without getting hurt, or possibly making their medical and other conditions worse.

I'd love to see pics if anyone has any! Please post if you do The Music Garden sounds delightful. I'd love to see it and anything else anyone took a pic of while volunteering.

Again, this playground, the people who organized and consistantly worked for 3 years to raise money and ideas, are just one of those things that make Idaho Falls different from so many other communities.

Some people say a community is really to be judged by how it treats its most fragile members. This means, IMHO, Idaho Falls comes out with an "A" in my book for working to create more opportunities for disabled children, regular kids interacting and learning more about disabilities or others and their parents.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Post Noise Park

Remeber the Red Cross Fund Raiser this Weekend.

Also, Chukar Playoff tickets are on sale. I suspect most people who go to Chukars games already know and have purchased their tickets. I loved the letter read in the Idaho Falls City Council Meeting, probably in late June or early July, from the person in Pocatello.

S/he was stating Idaho Falls residents were suppose to travel to Pocatello for sporting events to support ISU, but with Melaleuca Field, now Pocatello residents were indeed going to games in Idaho Falls and the games had been great.

For those of you who don't know or have never been yet, the City of Idaho Falls has a noise park for the noisy outdoor racing. Tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. Noise Park (that is the name) and Chaos Motorsports will start racing.

Contrary to what tired parents may want, it is not a park to drop off yelling and fighting children. Rather, it's a sports park for auto and other racing.

If you haven't explored the west part of Idaho Falls, you may be missing many amenities either privately or publically owned. The tennis court complex, the shooting range, the area where those who fly model airplanes fly them and the Noise Park, among other outdoor facilities.

If you check any of them out, please let us know by posting here what the facility you visited was like, and was there a fee for entrance etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls