U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:43 PM

4,941 posts, read 16,945,071 times

Advertisements

1)Take a stroll around the Greenbelt

2) Go see the Chukars (minor league baseball) play at home

3) Take in a movie at the drive-in, yes we still have not one, but two

4) Walk around downtown, always fun during Alive After Five

5) Visit the Tautphaus Park & Zoo

6) Take in the exhibits at Eagle Rock Museum

7) Visit the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings downtown

8) Have a picnic on the Greenbelt or at one of the parks and r-e-l-a-x

9) Go see the Ink & Blood exhibit at the Museum of Idaho

10) Go to Sandy Downs during the War Bonnet Rodeo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 07:25 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,262,542 times
Post Good Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
1)Take a stroll around the Greenbelt

2) Go see the Chukars (minor league baseball) play at home

3) Take in a movie at the drive-in, yes we still have not one, but two

4) Walk around downtown, always fun during Alive After Five

5) Visit the Tautphaus Park & Zoo

6) Take in the exhibits at Eagle Rock Museum

7) Visit the Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings downtown

8) Have a picnic on the Greenbelt or at one of the parks and r-e-l-a-x

9) Go see the Ink & Blood exhibit at the Museum of Idaho

10) Go to Sandy Downs during the War Bonnet Rodeo
Way to go, Cleosmom, you got this thread started before I had time. Thank you!!!!! There are SO many activities to do at this time of year, I agree with you it's sort of fun for those of us who know about the Idaho Falls area activities to review some of the traditional ones, like the War Bonnet Rodeo, AKA, the War Bonnet Roundup, is the oldest professional rodeo in Idaho. Here's the link: War Bonnet Roundup for those who want more info.

2. I must second the Ink and Blood exhibit at the Museum of Idaho. Record number of people are seeing this Dead Sea Scrolls (including some original Dead Sea Scrolls) and the various other parts of the exhibit. You can try to translate from the old scrolls in a specific display. Originally scheduled to end by Memorial Day, TMOI, had the option to extend the display until Labor Day and gladly accepted the rare offer. I've not heard a negative review of this display, except perhaps when it was first open, lines were a bit long. I believe there is a kid's area too with specific child learning/discovery events.
Here's the link: The Museum of Idaho.

3. The free concerts on the Greenbelt are held every Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. While they blends in nicely with Alive after Five events, I know many come strictly to hear the various music. Bring blankets, chairs or something else to sit one. Be aware this is by water, so mosquitoes are a possibility, although it is radpily flowing water. Some may want sun glasses and perhaps even a jacket as temperatures drop quite fast after 8-8:30 in the evening.
Link: www.idahofallsarts.org/river_concerts (broken link).

4. Gordon Lightfoot isn't coming until Aug., but for some they may want to plan on seeing him at the Civic Auditorium Wed. Aug. 22. The Civic Auditorium only has 2,000 seats (are we drooling and wanting that new performance/event center in Snake River Landing? Yes!). In the meantime, a great variety of activities are planned through the Arts Council Idaho Falls Arts Council.

Just an FYI, Comedian Brian Regan and another nationally known comic had a sold out house last week when they performed. Most likely they could have sold out at least another night.

So if you are seriously thinking about seeing Gordon Lightfoot (whom I've seen before and he puts on a good show), don't delay getting tickets longer than you have to because they may not be available.

I'm not sure how rapidly Weird Al tickets are selling

5. Of course with the most recent Harry Potter movie out, several screens in Idaho Falls are showing the movie. Apparently, similar to Star Wars of earlier years, some are arriving in their costumes.

6. If you like photography, not only are there local photography clubs (I believe for children too). This is a wonderful time to drive east towards The Teton National Forest and Jackson Hole.

This may be the last time those who would like to photograph the "golden bucket" former Golf Great, Greg Norman used this past week while digging one of the initial "buckets of dirt" for this upscale eastern ID private development.

A golden bucket was attached to one bulldozer breaking ground at this golf course, about one hour east of Idaho Falls, at the private Rim River Ranch. Some have been able to get pictures of this bulldozer. It's a first for many and may be a fun activity if you are in the area.

Stop in Swan Valley to get the "square Ice Cream Cone" on this journey, if possible.

7. If you decide to drive east into the moutains to get out of this abnormally high heat and to see for yourself where Rim River Ranch is being built and the size of the 5,300 acre development, take the time to buy your fishing licensing before you leave Idaho Falls, and pack your fishing gear. Too many favorite fishing places are on the road to and from The Tetons.

And of course, a great picnic is always pleasant.

JUST PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE EXTREME FIRE HAZARDS AND DO NOT USE FIRE, (OR LIGHT FIREWORKS AT ALL) WITHOUT KNOWING THE FIRE RISK AND LIMITS.

You can check the fire danger many different ways. One is through the National Weather Service web site: fire.boi.noaa.gov. Be SURE YOU KNOW before you light a match, stove etc. with our high risks for fires right now!

8. Plan now, if you are traveling to make sure there are hotel rooms available, as Idaho Falls runs above 90% occupancy, in the summer for many events. You do not have to be a local city resident to participate (or have your kids participate) in any of the activities planned.

If you have kids who want to have a lot of fun, plan on attending one or more days of the Snake River Roaring Youth Jam, Aug 9-11. The art, theatre, dance and music experiences of this event are geared from toddlers through teenagers and include toddlers experimenting with different mediums for art (everyone is covered so clothes aren't ruined) to teenagers participating in the annual Battle of the Bands. Here's the link to this rapidly growing fun event: Idaho Falls Arts Council

As for displays and booths for next year, if you have an interest, I'd encourage you to contact the Arts Council as soon as you can. With the Greenbelt expanding, most likely the individual booths, various arts displayed etc. will be expanded as well.

There are many other activities for adults and kids, including the private and public galleries, various dance and singing groups performing etc. However, I want others familiar with other activities to be able to add additional information or additional things to do in the Idaho Falls area right now.

Enjoy what you are able to do. If you are outside participating in the fun, please check take the appropriate precautions to keep you and your friends, family and others safe. Cleosmom has a West Nile Virus Forum started last year, which is being updated this year as well. Also, the Hospitals/Medical Care in Idaho Falls thread, will have the latest information and links for additional WNV info as it becomes available.

And if any have any questions, please don't hesitate to PM me, or post your questions for any of those familiar with eastern Idaho activities who can answer your post in this thread.

Have a Great Time Exploring some of the Fun Things to Do in Idaho Falls this summer.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-15-2007 at 07:43 AM..

Old 07-15-2007, 10:56 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,942,782 times
I grew up in the Idaho Falls area and it is a great place with wonderful citizens and I have a lot of family there and visit on occasion. I didn't know the Ink and Blood Exhibit was there! There is also an Ink and Blood Ex. at the Old Idaho Penitentiary here in Boise, so maybe the exhibit is traveling for the summer. If it is similar to the one in Boise it is very interesting.
And the famous Swan Valley ice cream has a lot of memories for me. My mother and her family are from that area and my cousin actually helps manage the small grocer the ice cream shop is in.
I would also suggest Heise Hot Springs area near Kelly Canyon along the South Fork of the Snake River in the mountains outside of I.F. It is a very beautiful area.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:56 AM

Thumbs up Unique Part of a Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
I grew up in the Idaho Falls area and it is a great place with wonderful citizens and I have a lot of family there and visit on occasion. I didn't know the Ink and Blood Exhibit was there! There is also an Ink and Blood Ex. at the Old Idaho Penitentiary here in Boise, so maybe the exhibit is traveling for the summer. If it is similar to the one in Boise it is very interesting.
And the famous Swan Valley ice cream has a lot of memories for me. My mother and her family are from that area and my cousin actually helps manage the small grocer the ice cream shop is in.
I would also suggest Heise Hot Springs area near Kelly Canyon along the South Fork of the Snake River in the mountains outside of I.F. It is a very beautiful area.
TohobitPkeak-

Not sure if this is the same display or not. It sounds like the one in Boise is permanent, or did I misunderstand? For some reason, I thought this major display came from outside of ID when it arrived during the winter.

While both displays may have similar elements, I'm wondering if perhaps the Boise one has selected themes from this traveling exhibit, to build a permanent exhibit? Here's the link. See if it sounds the same or not: The Museum of Idaho.

The Museum of Idaho receives exhibits after they have been on display in Seattle, Chicago, Dallas etc. and for a set number of days. These major displays are then sent on to much larger cities.

Ok some other fun things to do in Idaho Falls, how about this -

1. Jump Rope clinic today. That's new for me.

2. Like Frisbee, visit special park set up for it. Pardon me while I update my terminology, do you like Disc Golf? If so, please visit this link to see what Freeman Park offers: Idaho Falls Disc Golf, Freeman Park, Idaho Falls...COME TOSS!.

I noticed another major Fiddling event planned for this weekend.

What have you, your friends and family down for fun this summer, or are still planning to do?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:03 PM

Exclamation No Fires In Some Places

PLEASE BE AWARE OF THE FIRE DANGER!

I was just made aware that as of Thursday, 7/19, there are fire restrictions for ALL of southeastern ID.

Please see the link for information about areas in se Idaho as well as other forests, camp grounds etc.

EIIFC (http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/caribou-targhee/eiifc/restrictions/firerestrictions.htm - broken link)

PLEASE stay safe and keep others safe too!

MSR

Old 07-17-2007, 07:22 PM

I think I'll add in this thread for those that enjoy it, if you drive down to the Ft. Hall Reservation (I-15 exit 80), there's a neat gift shop there also on premise bingo and slots. Coming up next month they are having their Shoshone-Bannock Indian Festival and you can find out more information right here Shoshone - Bannock Tribes, Sho Ban, Fort Hall Indian Reservation, Idaho,Shoban, snake river Shoshone beadwork

I believe there is also a museum there as well.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:54 PM

14 posts, read 92,952 times
Default What are some good things for kids to do?

My mom, niece, and my nephews (ages 2,3,6) are visiting in a couple of weeks. I want to plan some activities. Can you suggest any that I might not have thought of?
We were planning to go to the zoo, bear world, yellowstone, the potato museum, maybe riot zone, spray park, maybe the international dance festival parade, and maybe the aquatic center (but small ones can't go in big pool). I was thinking Heise, but I have never been there before. I do not know if it is good enough for the small kids.

Is there anything else fun that I am forgetting?

Old 07-18-2007, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus A View Post
My mom, niece, and my nephews (ages 2,3,6) are visiting in a couple of weeks. I want to plan some activities. Can you suggest any that I might not have thought of?
We were planning to go to the zoo, bear world, yellowstone, the potato museum, maybe riot zone, spray park, maybe the international dance festival parade, and maybe the aquatic center (but small ones can't go in big pool). I was thinking Heise, but I have never been there before. I do not know if it is good enough for the small kids.

I would almost suggest Lava rather than Heise due to the sulphur smell at Heise, it might be a little strong for the little ones. They have the water slides there which could be fun. They do have admission rates even for the little ones on their website Lava Hot Springs - Olympic Swimming Complex and Hot Mineral Springs Resort

Old 07-18-2007, 05:02 AM

Question Date of Arrival?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missus A View Post

Can you be a little more specific about the date they arrive? Is it during the time of the Roaring River Youth Jam - sponsored by the Arts Council, but full of activities for all ages (I do mean 2 and 3 year olds as well). It's held on the Greenbelt, or in nearby Galleries and Theatres. Kids get to try different tyes of art (partially determined by their ages), acting, dancing and various types of music.

If you can tell us more specifically when they will be around, we may have other ideas.

With the activities you already have planned, make sure you put a rest day in there somewhere. Oh, please make sure you are aware of the fire hazards. I posted the link earlier.

I'm sure you'll find plenty (too much, probably) for your relatives to do.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 AM

14 posts, read 92,952 times
Their arrival is next Friday. Is the Lava Hot Springs too deep for them? Is there a kiddie pool?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls