Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2007, 08:47 AM

6 posts, read 35,059 times

Advertisements

Hello - we are considering a move to Idaho Falls and I am "concerned" about the diversity (or lack of?) in Idaho Falls. We are not a Caucasian family and I'm worried about how we (esp the kids) will be treated..... yes, there are dumb racists even in the big cities, but, in a small community such as Idaho Falls, I am still worried. I hear everyone there is so friendly and the community is very safe with low crime rates, but, just wanted to throw this question out there. Thank you in advance for understanding and your replies (hopefully, of reassurance!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 08:54 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Since we moved to the area back in the early 90's, I've noticed of late a more blended population. In fact, I've also noticed bi-racial families. In the people I see on a daily basis, I've heard no slurring. Having said that I do not have children and therefore am clueless as to what's going on in the schools, hopefully nothing negative, then again though I'll admit kids can be cruel

Considering I despise labels, I'll simply say that the population of the Idaho Falls area is 100% comprised of human beings

Old 07-15-2007, 09:10 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Try going to this website, it might answer some of your questions.

www.quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/16000.html (broken link)

I couldn't find 2006, maybe they're not out yet.

Old 07-15-2007, 09:24 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
I have heard that very kind people live in Idaho Falls, but if you want diversity Boise is obviously going to be the most diverse region in the state because of its size and because of the small ethnic communities scattered through out the city, and there are so many high tech and professional jobs that a lot of skilled minorities are attracted to Boise. Boise currently has one of the fastest growing Asian populations in the county.

Old 07-15-2007, 10:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by line_design View Post
Hello - we are considering a move to Idaho Falls and I am "concerned" about the diversity (or lack of?) in Idaho Falls. We are not a Caucasian family and I'm worried about how we (esp the kids) will be treated..... yes, there are dumb racists even in the big cities, but, in a small community such as Idaho Falls, I am still worried. I hear everyone there is so friendly and the community is very safe with low crime rates, but, just wanted to throw this question out there. Thank you in advance for understanding and your replies (hopefully, of reassurance!)
Hi line_design,

Thanks for asking your question point blank instead of hinting and hoping people pick up on your question. You may not feel comfortable stating more information in the public format about your family, which I totally respect and appreciate. Please feel free to send me a PM if there are more specific questions you'd about the available information in 2007. (I think others who are very familiar with the Idaho Falls area would offer the same, but that's crossing a boundary for me to volunteer their services).

Torrie, that is an interesting quick chart. I saved it as a link for trends. I hope it gets updated soon. Thank you for sharing it with all us. Sometimes the overall data from the census estimates vs. reports etc. is hard to interpret.

Unfortunately, I wish the data from Torrie's quick link was more current than 2003, as I don't believe the same data is true in 2007. When I read how "off" the census was for Idaho Falls in 2003 appears, I have to question many of the other stats as well. There were some interesting sub-groups in the quick sheet though.

Idaho Falls is less than 90% Caucasion. The problem with data anywhere, is first as I already mentioned this data is 4 years old and Idaho Falls has become even more diverse durring that time. Secondly, it doesn't tell the entire story of which businesses are owned by minorities and how well minorities are received in the area. One minority-owned business may win national contracts and have hundreds of employees, yet will be statistically be listed as just 1 business, like a minority business that employs only 1-2, as ascertained by the U.S Census.

FWIW, I have a friend in Boise who doesn't believe the national census counts are remotely accurate compared more to state or more local counts.

Syringagold, I believe, is accurate with the (partial) statement, "I have heard that very kind people live in Idaho Falls." Like anywhere else, there are jerks too.

I do believe what cleosmom statement, "Since we moved to the area back in the early 90's, I've noticed of late a more blended population. In fact, I've also noticed bi-racial families," is accurate.

Kids are kids and those raised in intolerant families, anywhere in the U.S., can make cruel comments. I'm not aware of that being a problem in Idaho Falls more than other locations. However, since I'm not positive of which race your family is and your concerns about specific concerns, other than comments being made, I'm not sure of what potential links or resources to recommend you visit to potentially receive more information, regarding Idaho Falls.

Unfortunately, one of the ugliest things I've heard said in Idaho about a black person or family, was near Idaho State University in Pocatello, just months ago. That doesn't mean most residents in Pocatello do or don't feel the same as the people who uttered those awful words.

Idaho Falls is in a unique position, compared to many cities in the U.S. of a similar metro area (117K), in that is the location of one of the 15 DOE labs in the U.S. Consequently, employees from throughout the U.S. (and some other countries) come to Idaho Falls to work. As some projects continue their missions, the international population will grow, let alone the population from many states in the U.S. not native to the Idaho Falls area demographics from 1950-60.

The major presence of the U.S. Navy in Idaho Falls until about the mid-90s makes residents far more accepting than some cities who have had a homogenous population that is becoming more diversied.

The INL National University Consortium (NUC) includes paired work with students from MIT, NC and other universities outside the regional area. Here's the link: Idaho National Laboratory - Partnerships

Instead of race or ethnicity, I believe a much higher emphasis is placed on whether a family is a "good neighbor," are their children cared for, does the family have employment secured and are those who move in tolerant of the beliefs and preferences of local residents? As I'm sure you've read on Idaho threads, some locals in Idaho (and Montana) plus other states throughout the U.S. are resentful of any newcomer wanting to change life in their current environment.

When I read the posts about how quickly people had to change their out-of-state license plates given neighbors' comments, I personally have not seen or heard of that occuring in the Idaho Falls area. Perhaps that is partially due to BYU-Idaho in Rexburg, a private university which attracts students from many different states in the U.S.

I read often about the need for other types of food (from those who have relocated) missing restaurants that served specialties unique to some ethnicities or geographical areas. Additionally, hair stylists who have worked with various hair types, and other service focused businesses are being requested more and more in Idaho Falls, both for residents and all the visitors. Visitors include those going to YNP and Jackson Hole, the Tetons etc., but also many from Washington, D.C. and other states who work with and overseeing certain projects based at INL (or spinoffs) and may stay weeks -months at a time. I can't think of anywhere else in Idaho that the # of Washington, D.C. area residents, let alone Federal Gov. employees (like the Director of the DOE and other high ranking officials in other Federal Gov't or military branch) travel to and live in Idaho Falls for various lengths of time, given the specific work.

The local African American population, includes, perhaps hundreds who work at INL. However, other jobs ranging from commercial, industrial, education, and professions such as being a minister, restaurant owner, plus careerw in nursing or medicine all are positions Idaho Falls African American residents have.

Conversely, given the distance, there aren't many Cubans or more than 200 people who have relocated from Russia. The #s in 2006, let alone 2007 estimates, are about 1,000 African American residents, about 11% of the area is Hispanic and various other much smaller percentages of some minorities live in the Idaho Falls area.

Unlike the highly populated states, such CA, TX, NY, MI, FL etc. where many minority groups will have 60,000 - 600,000+ members of the same minority group living in one city, I'm not sure any Idaho city can offer that much diversity. Hispanics are the largest group of minorities in ID. and I've not recently read the estimates of how many thousands Hispanic residents are in the Gem State.

I sincerely hope something I have written helps you understand a bit more about the numbers of minorities living and working in the Idaho Falls metro area. As many suggest in various Idaho forums, the best way to know is by visiting the city to assess for yourself.

MSR

P.S. I don't think specific for profit businesses are suppose to be advertised on this forum (not sure). Let me encourage you to do a general web search on local Idaho Falls resident, "Sylvia Medina" and "North Winds."

Good luck making this important decision.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-15-2007 at 11:04 PM..

Old 07-15-2007, 11:45 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,262,276 times
Quote:
P.S. I don't think specific for profit businesses are suppose to be advertised on this forum (not sure). Let me encourage you to do a general web search on local Idaho Falls resident, "Sylvia Medina" and "North Winds."
This is one tremendous lady! I've been able to watch both she and her business grow from the sidelines and she's just awesome! She's totally defied the odds; female small business owner and a minority to boot! She also has a heart of gold.

line_design, feel free to drop me a line (Private Message) if you'd like more insight on my POV. I grew up in Central California so I am sadly acquainted with racial diversity.

Last edited by cleosmom; 07-16-2007 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: changed wording

Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 AM

Thumbs up commUNITY Fest Begins, Reginal Reeves

I wasn't able to post this previously, and we've not heard back from line_design, however, I know people do have question about different races living in and around Idaho Falls.

Current Idaho Falls Mayor, Jared Fuhriman, appointed a new committee to begin "commUNITY Fest." A similar type festival had been held for many years, but discontinued by the previous mayor.

So commUNITY Fest had it's first annual event on last Saturday. I wish they would have let us know a bit earlier, as I would have liked to have tried some of the Russian cooking, a new resident offerred. However, the really important thing is Mayor Fuhriman has started a new festival to celebrate that we are not homogenous and we live with many races and cultures in the Idaho Falls area. Please notice, the spelling, as the emphasis is on UNITY (for the community). I'm looking forward to this festival next year.

For those who may be black and wondering about Idaho Falls, I strongly recommend you contact Idaho Falls Magazine at Idaho Falls Magazine - The Magazine for Eastern Idaho's Way of Living and request a complimentary copy of the magazine about living in and around Idaho Falls.

I would recommend, that you specificy you'd like to see the July/Aug., 2007 issue, if some are still available, as it profiles African American attorney Reginald Reeves and his attempts to serve his fellow citizens. This article may give you a better insight into the diversity in Idaho Falls.

Two very positive statements this month, one by the Mayor, and one by a local publishing firm highlighting the career of a distinguisted African American lawyer who has practiced in Idaho Falls close to 50 years.

Old 07-25-2007, 09:19 PM

6 posts, read 35,059 times
Default Thank you.....

Thank you for your replies and comments. I really appreciate it and I've been reading ALL the posts on Idaho Falls. I will be seeing you all soon, as we just purchased a house in IF and will be moved in by end of August. Take care and God Bless.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 AM

Thumbs up Good Luck in the Move!

Quote:
Originally Posted by line_design View Post
Thank you for your replies and comments. I really appreciate it and I've been reading ALL the posts on Idaho Falls. I will be seeing you all soon, as we just purchased a house in IF and will be moved in by end of August. Take care and God Bless.
Good for you line_design! Let us know if you have other questions. And these fires are NOT what we see every summer.

It would be really wonderful if you would post some comments here after you've moved what you found to be the most realiable sources of info, some of the struggles and other information that may help other people.

I still believe there is a problem getting accurate information about Idaho Falls to those who want it. So ideas of how to better link people with resources would be a wonderful contribution.

Best luck in moving.......one of my lest favorite things to do I hope all goes well for you and your family in the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls