Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Ammon Idaho area, information for kids’ sports, baseball, daycare, doggy daycare, Parks & Rec Youth sports, Idaho Falls next door, Bonneville County, not LDS

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,374 times

Advertisements

Looking for info in the Ammon area for sports (baseball), daycare, community 'feel'...stuff like that. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 02:01 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,263,520 times
Idaho Falls is right next door to Ammon and there is one thread with many different ideas and events you might want to check out //www.city-data.com/forum/idaho...things-do.html

I do know the schools have sports teams and I know there are leagues during summer that can be joined through the community as well Parks & Rec - Youth Softball/Baseball (http://www.ci.idaho-falls.id.us/main/index2.asp?PageId=1246 - broken link)

The "feel" of the community is conservative and tight knit.

I can't help you one bit about daycare as I've no little ones, with the exception that where I work we do doggy daycare

Old 07-25-2007, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,374 times
Thank you for your speedy reply. I read the top 10 things right after I posted, should have looked there first. By conservative and tight knit, how are newcomers welcomed? I'm pretty neighborly and want to get hooked up with some friends to craft and hang out with....after I'm settled in ofcourse. I like to be involved in the community, volunteer at school, stuff like that! Just wondering what the Ammon area had to offer a new Idahoan. :O)

Old 07-25-2007, 02:09 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,292 times
Default Ammon

Dear Party06,

Type Ammon Idaho into your browser. There's lots of info there from Wikipedia, City-Data, realtors, etc. You'll find what you need to know, or links to the info you need.

Ammon is in Bonneville County. Put Bonneville County Idaho into your browser for more stuff....

Best wishes on your move.

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party06 View Post
Thank you for your speedy reply. I read the top 10 things right after I posted, should have looked there first. By conservative and tight knit, how are newcomers welcomed? I'm pretty neighborly and want to get hooked up with some friends to craft and hang out with....after I'm settled in ofcourse. I like to be involved in the community, volunteer at school, stuff like that! Just wondering what the Ammon area had to offer a new Idahoan. :O)
By conservative I'm meaning that a fairly large portion of the community (Ammon/IdahoFalls and vicinity) is of the LDS belief. Having said that, as SE Idaho continues to grow so does the level of diversity. It's more a blended community than it was 20, even 10 years ago.

Plenty of women craft around here, I'm not one as I greatly lack the patience for it You'll find craft stores not far away on both 17th ST and Hitt RD; Michael's, Porter's and Robert's to name a few. There's also a new bead store that opened in the past few weeks across 17th from the mall.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:31 PM

19 posts, read 92,493 times
Hi Party06,

I'll be a new Idahoan as well. My husband is already there and living in Ammon and the kids and I have been there a few times now and will be making the big move in the next month or so. The natives will not like this comment, but Ammon and Idaho Falls are one in the same. I hear there used to be open space and farms between the two, but they are completely connected now.

The top 10 list pretty much covered it. What I've gotten from my trips are that the green belt/river is a big thing to do. Our kids love feeding the ravenous ducks. There are several good parks. The zoo is tiny, Fun Land - not worth the money for the 5 rides. All the other attractions mentioned are good. Yellowstone is awesome and we got an annual pass. If you're skiers then you'll be in heaven.

On a day to day activity basis I've seen that the Rec Center seems to have the most activities/leagues. For your older kids, Ammon does sport the new movie theater, an arcade/food place and an indoor go-cart track, all in the same shopping center!

Do you like wind? The wind is incessant and I've heard that it can be miserable in the winter/spring.

Other than that, better be outdoors types. We're from Colorado, so we are into the outdoors.

If you're not LDS, I've gotten the impression that it'll be tough to get connected with people. Not that LDS aren't friendly, they are just very into family and church activities to the point of being too busy for anything else. I've read other posts of discrimination, prostheletizing and other not so good things, but so far my huband nor I have experienced anything. LDS are extremely nice people, but you'll not be "in" unless you are LDS.

So, if you're looking for someone to hang with, although my kids are younger, 6, 3 and 2, but you can always contact me (hope this encryption script works because I really don't want to post my email on a board):

email here (broken link)

Last edited by cwallace; 07-25-2007 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: encrypt email address

Old 07-25-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace View Post
Hi Party06,
I'll be a new Idahoan as well. My husband is already there and living in Ammon and the kids and I have been there a few times now and will be making the big move in the next month or so. The natives will not like this comment, but Ammon and Idaho Falls are one in the same. I hear there used to be open space and farms between the two, but they are completely connected now.
True to a point, physically they are right next door to one another. When it comes to city government, whole 'nother ball park

BTW, your email addy did indeed show up, next time you might want to try using the PM (Private Message) for safety. If you ask I'm thinking one of the Mods will edit your email addy out for you.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:58 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Smile Getting connected

Quote:
Hi Party06,

The top 10 list pretty much covered it. What I've gotten from my trips are that the green belt/river is a big thing to do. Our kids love feeding the ravenous ducks. There are several good parks. The zoo is tiny, Fun Land - not worth the money for the 5 rides. All the other attractions mentioned are good. Yellowstone is awesome and we got an annual pass. If you're skiers then you'll be in heaven.

On a day to day activity basis I've seen that the Rec Center seems to have the most activities/leagues. For your older kids, Ammon does sport the new movie theater, an arcade/food place and an indoor go-cart track, all in the same shopping center!

Do you like wind? The wind is incessant and I've heard that it can be miserable in the winter/spring.

Other than that, better be outdoors types. We're from Colorado, so we are into the outdoors.

If you're not LDS, I've gotten the impression that it'll be tough to get connected with people. Not that LDS aren't friendly, they are just very into family and church activities to the point of being too busy for anything else. I've read other posts of discrimination, prostheletizing and other not so good things, but so far my huband nor I have experienced anything. LDS are extremely nice people, but you'll not be "in" unless you are LDS.

So, if you're looking for someone to hang with, although my kids are younger, 6, 3 and 2, but you can always contact me (hope this encryption script works because I really don't want to post my email on a board):

<a href="mailto:chris_and_erik@yahoo.com">email here</a>

Hi CWallace,

Glad you've been reading the top 10 post. It's hard to keep up with, given all of my other commitments and I would welcome some help (hint hint cleosmom - and others).

I'm officially asking you, CWallace, to please help post on that thread of metro Idaho Falls area activities to do. I realize you are moving, but an occasional post now and then will help you get to know the area better, and others will contact you. How about it - we need the help and I suspect in researching some things to do, you may find more connections to non-LDS people, why Ammon and Idaho Falls, while literally across from Hitt Road from each other, are similar but not the same.

I would love to read your posts about YNP and getting a season pass. That is a good idea. Would you PLEASE consider posting that now on the top 10 things to do. Did you consider a season's pass for Tautphaus Park Zoo, since it can be used in most cities but D.C. and San Diego?

One of the major reasons I wanted to start the things to do thread was what I believe is a disconnect in information.

No disrespect intended CWallace, but you interchanged areas of Ammon for Idaho Falls and vice versa many times in your post. And you illustrate my point perfectly. It's an artificial boundary, one that did have miles between the two cities years ago, but has Hitt Road as the Boundary now.

If you want a better source to review and post points about Idaho Falls vs. Ammon, send me a PM and I will give you one.

IMO, when one road, Hitt Road, separates the two, it's an artificial boudary. That's why I prefer to use "Bonneville County" or Metro area, as Rigby and Shelley are so close too.

I don't know why you think natives don't like people referring to Ammon and Idaho Falls as the same. Sure, in some cases family farms that had been in the family for generations are an expensive now new subdivisions, and that is hard for some. But, most people I know prefer to lump the combined population when thinking of what businesses they would like to see locate in Snake River Landing, or what outlet stores they want in Sunnysides Crossroads Regional Center etc.

The wind in Idaho ...always a great topic.

What I already like about you CWallace, is you have immediately alleviated concerns of some, by saying some posts simply are not correct. I like your description of LDS people saying thay are busy people. Personally, I believe it is one of the most accurate descriptions I've read.

The City of Idaho Falls isn't at best, 50% LDS. Ammon - I honestly do not know - but much more concentrated LDS residents. Neither a plus or minus for either city, all I'm suggesting is maybe you haven't gotten connected to people who share similar interests and concerns as yourself, given where your new home is.

I know someone who is a single female in Idaho Falls, not LDS, who is lonely. She has family in the area, but she wants a friend to talk to and take a walk around the park without an employer around etc.

You may find your new friends in Idaho come packaged a little differently than in CO, but I don't think you'll find your views isolated on any issues. Again, it's knowing how to connect with the right people.

Good luck in the move!

Old 07-26-2007, 01:08 PM

19 posts, read 92,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Hi CWallace,

I'm officially asking you, CWallace, to please help post on that thread of metro Idaho Falls area activities to do.
--Will do.

Quote:
How about it - we need the help and I suspect in researching some things to do, you may find more connections to non-LDS people
--I expect my connections will be through our church as well. It is how I got really connected in my community in Colorado.

Quote:
No disrespect intended CWallace, but you interchanged areas of Ammon for Idaho Falls and vice versa many times in your post.
--None taken.

Quote:
I don't know why you think natives don't like people referring to Ammon and Idaho Falls as the same.
--A tongue in cheek comment. I thought I'd seen a post or two debating the two as separate entities.

Quote:
What I already like about you CWallace, is you have immediately alleviated concerns of some, by saying some posts simply are not correct. I like your description of LDS people saying thay are busy people. Personally, I believe it is one of the most accurate descriptions I've read.
-- Our church in CO is similar to the LDS by providing many activities outside of worship for the entire family. I'm sure we'll be similarly involved with our church in IF. I think the non-religious-affiliated folks probably struggle the most with the societal shift between I.F. and their points of origin.

Quote:
The City of Idaho Falls isn't at best, 50% LDS. Ammon - I honestly do not know - but much more concentrated LDS residents. Neither a plus or minus for either city, all I'm suggesting is maybe you haven't gotten connected to people who share similar interests and concerns as yourself, given where your new home is.
--My husband hasn't been so proactive in getting connected as I will be when we get there. But it would be nice to find out the "liberal" (not the political kind) neighborhoods before we settle in. I really like the neighborhood around Sunnyside Elem. (S of Sunnyside and between S 5 W and S Holmes Ave.) but don't expect it's so "liberal".

Quote:
I know someone who is a single female in Idaho Falls, not LDS, who is lonely. She has family in the area, but she wants a friend to talk to and take a walk around the park without an employer around etc.
--Tell your friend to feel free to contact me, I'll be visiting again next week and relocating in Sept. My yahoo email is in my previous post. I'm big into parks, given my kids . We spend quite a bit of time at Community Park and I'm bringing my rollerblades next week, so I can cruise the path.

Quote:
You may find your new friends in Idaho come packaged a little differently than in CO, but I don't think you'll find your views isolated on any issues. Again, it's knowing how to connect with the right people.
--I am thankful that my husband and I are family-oriented, conservative, church-going people and not power Liberals. We'll fit in okay. Actually, I feel more comfortable that I can express my faith more openly than I can in CO. Since to even speak of a church related event here in CO, friends tend to get stiff and give the blank stare, afraid that I've even mentioned the word church. That is a big plus for I.F. and negative for everywhere else.

Old 07-26-2007, 05:16 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Quote:
--Will do.

--I expect my connections will be through our church as well. It is how I got really connected in my community in Colorado.

--None taken.

--A tongue in cheek comment. I thought I'd seen a post or two debating the two as separate entities.

-- Our church in CO is similar to the LDS by providing many activities outside of worship for the entire family. I'm sure we'll be similarly involved with our church in IF. I think the non-religious-affiliated folks probably struggle the most with the societal shift between I.F. and their points of origin.

--My husband hasn't been so proactive in getting connected as I will be when we get there. But it would be nice to find out the "liberal" (not the political kind) neighborhoods before we settle in. I really like the neighborhood around Sunnyside Elem. (S of Sunnyside and between S 5 W and S Holmes Ave.) but don't expect it's so "liberal".

--Tell your friend to feel free to contact me, I'll be visiting again next week and relocating in Sept. My yahoo email is in my previous post. I'm big into parks, given my kids . We spend quite a bit of time at Community Park and I'm bringing my rollerblades next week, so I can cruise the path.

--I am thankful that my husband and I are family-oriented, conservative, church-going people and not power Liberals. We'll fit in okay. Actually, I feel more comfortable that I can express my faith more openly than I can in CO. Since to even speak of a church related event here in CO, friends tend to get stiff and give the blank stare, afraid that I've even mentioned the word church. That is a big plus for I.F. and negative for everywhere else.
CWallace,

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time to respond I'll be sure to give you positive reputation .

Sorry, I missed the tongue-in-check comment as such, I was probably reading too fast. My comment about I.F. being 50% LDS at the most didn't come out so well either. Ammon is probably more like 80% LDS.

I think I'll pass on anything more about the city status as some do take it very seriously, but for good reasons. Like anything else, there are alwasy 2+ sides to every story, and I don't want to derail the theme here. Let's just say I think cleosmom summed it up well, about infrastructure and who has to cover what.

Whew, I'm glad you're feeling free to say what you feel and observe in Idaho. Can't WAIT to read your post on the Top 10 (and hope you'll contribute frequently). Maybe if you would consider even writing in a separate post the whole think about Park Passes, sometimes I don't know if people understand (especially non-U.S. residents) what can be done with a pass. Anyway, a separate post in that thread about YNP and a Park Pass would be tremendously ehlpful to many.

What you continually do, and I love it, is find something good in every situation. I'll PM you a couple of links much later tonight, if that's ok, with some groups that may interest you.

I'm looking forward to having you on OUR side of the Rockies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls