U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 PM

6 posts, read 32,850 times

Advertisements

Hi there everyone.

I have a few questions for those of you living in IF. I will be moving there w/my family next month - Yes, I have been in IF 2 times (for house hunting trips), now I have some general questions about the town:

1) How many miles is the whole greenbelt trail? (total, please) Can't seem to find information on it online as far as how long it is total.

2) I like to ride my road bike (Tour de France style, but not quite! ) I've seen alot of mountain bikers and casual bikers in the town, but, no road bikers..... any suggestions on where (what road) to ride without being knocked over by big trucks, or smoked out by auto exhausts? (prefer a road w/a wide lane) Suggestions? Thought about riding on the greenbelt, but, it appears it's more for "casual riding" and strolling....

3) We just bought a ranch style house w/full finished basement in IF. We don't have houses w/big beautiful basements like you do in IF. Anyway, I'm excited about having all this space, and now, I'm wondering: are those windows in the basement "safe"? I'm worried about a thief getting into that little "cave" thing next to the basement window, breaking it open and getting into our basement. I know - this sounds really stupid, but, I read all those posts about how safe and how there's low crime in IF, but, still, I would think it's easy to break into those Low windows in that little "cave" part (no, I don't know what you call that part of the house!) For those of you who have those nice basements - how do you deal w/that safety issue/concern?

4) Cleosmom - i read somewhere you had a doggie daycare! Really? Cool. What is the name of your business? I have a dog that could use your services for those days when I work 10+ hours. I don't know how to send a private message, or whatever, can you tell me, please? Thank you!

Ok - I'm glad I'm anonymous, because I know some of these questions are a bit silly, but, they're important to me!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 10:30 PM

4,772 posts, read 16,614,452 times
Greetings line_design,

1) How many miles is the whole greenbelt trail? (total, please) Can't seem to find information on it online as far as how long it is total. According to this website Idaho Falls Greenbelt : vistidaho.org the greenbelt is six miles long

2) I like to ride my road bike (Tour de France style, but not quite! ) I've seen alot of mountain bikers and casual bikers in the town, but, no road bikers..... any suggestions on where (what road) to ride without being knocked over by big trucks, or smoked out by auto exhausts? (prefer a road w/a wide lane) Suggestions? Thought about riding on the greenbelt, but, it appears it's more for "casual riding" and strolling.... I'm still unclear as to what a "road bike" is is that what we called a 10-speed back in the day? If so I see many folks riding out towards east of town and most vehicles are courteous in giving room needed, alas you'll still get the exhaust.

3) We just bought a ranch style house w/full finished basement in IF. We don't have houses w/big beautiful basements like you do in IF. Anyway, I'm excited about having all this space, and now, I'm wondering: are those windows in the basement "safe"? I'm worried about a thief getting into that little "cave" thing next to the basement window, breaking it open and getting into our basement. I know - this sounds really stupid, but, I read all those posts about how safe and how there's low crime in IF, but, still, I would think it's easy to break into those Low windows in that little "cave" part (no, I don't know what you call that part of the house!) For those of you who have those nice basements - how do you deal w/that safety issue/concern? Wow, my first thought in regards to basements window wells was "is it safe with small children or pets?" Never even gave a thought to break-ins, then again I don't have a basement and do have two sizeable dogs

4) Cleosmom - i read somewhere you had a doggie daycare! Really? Cool. What is the name of your business? I have a dog that could use your services for those days when I work 10+ hours. I don't know how to send a private message, or whatever, can you tell me, please? Thank you! Check your Private Message box

Old 07-26-2007, 08:22 AM

72 posts, read 282,662 times
line-design, I am new and researching the area, too...and no question is silly if it is sincerely asked

To check your private messages, go to the upper right hand corner of this whole page, and you'll see a little blue box with your name in it...usually when you get a private message from someone, a big pop-up reminder flashes across the screen whenever you come onto the city-data site.

Window wells is the only part of the question I can answer....they can leak if they aren't installed properly, but it's rare....we've had basements wherever we moved except Louisiana and here in Delaware...water table is too high here for basements. If they are indented, like cleo mentioned, and a small child or animal can fall down into it, most home improvement places sell domes or covers of some sort....they keep kids, animals and debris out.

As for break-ins, anytime there's glass large enough for a human to wriggle thru, you can have a break-in....I wouldn't worry 'bout it...every basement we've ever had has an access door to the main part of the house...usually there's a lock, if not, they're easy to install. I don't consider basement window theft any more of a worry than I would a garage door leading into the house....just lock the doors.

Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,981,036 times
Thumbs up Good Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarabeth View Post
line-design, I am new and researching the area, too...and no question is silly if it is sincerely asked

To check your private messages, go to the upper right hand corner of this whole page, and you'll see a little blue box with your name in it...usually when you get a private message from someone, a big pop-up reminder flashes across the screen whenever you come onto the city-data site.

Window wells is the only part of the question I can answer....they can leak if they aren't installed properly, but it's rare....we've had basements wherever we moved except Louisiana and here in Delaware...water table is too high here for basements. If they are indented, like cleo mentioned, and a small child or animal can fall down into it, most home improvement places sell domes or covers of some sort....they keep kids, animals and debris out.

As for break-ins, anytime there's glass large enough for a human to wriggle thru, you can have a break-in....I wouldn't worry 'bout it...every basement we've ever had has an access door to the main part of the house...usually there's a lock, if not, they're easy to install. I don't consider basement window theft any more of a worry than I would a garage door leading into the house....just lock the doors.
line_design,

The only silly question is the unasked one, IMO.

Zarabeth, so nice to hear from you again. Glad to know your are still looking in the area.

Zarabeth is correct about the window wells and windows in general. I do understand the concern as I'm in various cities or districts of some cities that have bars over everything. As you've seen, that just doesn't occur in Idaho Falls with a possible exception being stand alone jewelry stores and some security businesses.

I'd recommend you contact a local dealer, or the contractor who built your house, etc., in_line, to ask where to buy some of the protective devices, if you want to utilize them for lower windows. Specifically, learn the details of glass in your new house. As Zarabeth mentioned, glass can always be shattered anywhere.

It's far more likely a misplaced baseball has found your glass than a criminal, but always best to take precautions and be safe.

No one will laugh at your concerns. You have to remember, INL is 60 miles away, and I think I'll opt not to post what a couple of their specific missions are as a DOE lab. However, let me tell you safety is the bottom line for each of those missions. Wright-Patterson AFB is testing one proto-type of a design from INL right now.

Ask someone about roaches and depending on whether they are a native who has always lived in Idaho you may get a "HUH?", to a consoling smile and a "No, we don't have those here," from others who have lived elsewhere and chosen to move to Idaho Falls to live.

It's a little bit humorous to many of us who have lived in various states why some attempt to paint Idaho Falls as so cold. I certainly have my own beliefs about why some do. However, if one is thinking Houston and Idaho Falls are the same, they are not. If some think Idaho Falls is cold compared to areas in CO, WI, MI, PA, upper NY State etc., Idaho Falls is not as cold. There isn't the humidity and that bone-chilling cold from the east coast.

I personally know a few people who couldn't take all the bugs etc. in the south and said they would rather have a few months in the 20s that everything that slithered through their doors.

I think it's great that we're not all the same.

One of the coldest climates in ID is near the Canadian Border. Yet, those with vision saw an opportunity. If you've ever worn or seen Coldwater Creek Clothing, you may never have known Sandpoint, ID is the corporate home.

As I always say, you'll feel and know what is right for you and your family. Living in an area is more than just the weather, which is one reason I'm so glad, in_line that you've started this thread.

Crime statistics are worth talking about anywhere. The DOJ info is always at least a year behind, given how the data is collected. Nonetheless, it is a start and by contacting the right agencies in the state or community one can learn more.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:08 PM

19 posts, read 88,147 times
We have window wells to the basement and in my last two houses, we've had alarm systems with a motion detector in the basement to overcome any break-in issues. (I'm actually sitting in my sister's house in Colorado Springs and she too has a motion detector in her basement.)

I did actually have a call from the alarm company (way back when in my first house - not in Idaho) that the motion detector had been activated and the alarm set off. So, it did it's duty in deterring someone from making it into the house through the basement.

But window wells are no less secure than garage side doors. Once a perp is the backyard, they are much more hidden from the road. They love those side doors because most people don't lock the house door inside the garage and it's very easy access to the house once in the garage.

But I digress, back to the basement motion detector alarm. A nice alarm company sign in the front yard or a window decal will also work like a charm. I'm not saying not to get the security system, but the window decal itself is a great deterrant. Thieves are notoriously lazy and if they even suspect you have a security system by seeing the decal/sign, they will pass your house over and seek an easier target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: