U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 9,056 times

Advertisements

i am considering moving to idaho falls from phoenix, arizona. i am getting alot of mixed reviews on the weather there. can some please tell me about the year around weather. ex. does it snow every winter? is it windy there? is it humid? do you have four seasons? anything you can give me would be a great help. also can you recommend some good elementary schools? thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 10:48 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,463,638 times
Snow every winter? Yes. But last winter wasn't much.

Windy? Yes. All four seasons, but a nice break during heatwaves.

Humid? No, except, for about 2-3 days when your Phoenix monsoons move this far north.

Four Seasons? Definitely.

Winters can be cold with near zero or below several nights. Spring is variable, up and down. Summers usually are not that hot (average is upper 80's during the hottest periods) but this summer has been well above average, with 90+ almost everyday.

Fall is variable, like Spring, with big fluctuations between nice and not so nice.

Elementry schools? Not sure, but I think most offer heat during the winter!

Seriously, I have lived in Anchorage, Chicago, Tri-Cities, Eugene, and grew up in Seattle. Idaho Falls is tolerable. Just don't expect to be playing golf in the winter, and if you hate cold, may not be the best place for you. But, from Phoenix, you will find summers to be quite refreshing.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:28 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,937,126 times
Smile Have You Lived in Northern Climates Before, More Info Needed about Schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smood86 View Post
i am considering moving to idaho falls from phoenix, arizona. i am getting alot of mixed reviews on the weather there. can some please tell me about the year around weather. ex. does it snow every winter? is it windy there? is it humid? do you have four seasons? anything you can give me would be a great help. also can you recommend some good elementary schools? thanks
Smood86,

There certainly do seem to be mixed messages about the weather. It certainly is NOT Phoenix. I would ask those who have such negative reviews about the weather in Idaho Falls if they Currently live there (even part-time), or as one poster who likes to comment on this subject lived in Idaho Falls over 20 years ago.

I think pw72 gave you some good information.

There are absolutely 4 seasons. I'm not an expert in weather-related issues, only what I've observed. It seems like the hottest temperatures that we use to get more like late July-Aug are now coming in late June and early July. And the rain we often saw in June or May is coming in Aug. I won't venture to guess what that means.

More people in eastern ID are installing central A.C. in new homes, along with a good heating system and often a fireplace. If you look on City-Data's weather graphs, you can see not only the temperature norms as well as the wind info.

Last year was abnormally cold for ever state above AZ, NV. Do you remember the tv video about the cattle freezing in Colorado and the farmers had never experienced that previously. The weather from last year can't be described as normal for anywhere in MT, WY, ID, CO, ND, SD etc. No one knows if it will happen again.

It is true with more people in the area, more buildings that protect from the storms/wind etc. it just doesn't seem as cold as winters use to be when the population was far less.

I also believe it depends on one's age. If people are looking to retire to Idaho Falls and have never lived in a winter climate, it will seem extremely cold. Great Falls, MT and other cities are much colder. Some seniors I know, they plan to head south for 4-6 weeks in the winter. It's a little like the "Sunbirds" we get from Phoenix and other locations in AZ and NV who head this way in the summer so they don't have to deal with the 112-116 weather.

There is essentially NO humidity. People who relocate from the east coast who relocate say that one factor makes it seem so much warmer than other cities in the east.

We get some snow each winter. Some years are sparse in the valley, some years we get more. Maybe it's better snow removal equipment or just more people commuting to work daily, but it just doesn't seem the same as it was when I was a kid.

Back then we would pray for bad weather so we could have snow days and school would close. Then everyone got in their cars and went to the mall or shopping elsewhere, or over to friends to play etc.

When you ask about schools, are you thinking Dist #91 or D #93, private, charter or for what type of education are you hoping for your child/children? Part will depend if you have purchased a home. It would also help to know what factors are the most important to you about school.

How many times have you visited to get familiar with the area? Is this potential move going to happen soon, or can you visit in the winter?

I hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 PM

3 posts, read 9,056 times
thank you for all the info. we have only been there twice. one was just last weekend, so coming from phoenix of course we LOVED the weather!!! but we got a pretty good feel for the town. as for the schools, we have heard good things about ethel boyes. im sure anything would be better then the schools here but we are looking for teachers that really care and are involved with there students. also, good test scores are important we want to make sure they are getting the education they need. agian thank you and we hope to hear more!!

Old 08-02-2007, 03:26 PM

Thumbs up Local Public Schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by smood86 View Post
thank you for all the info. we have only been there twice. one was just last weekend, so coming from phoenix of course we LOVED the weather!!! but we got a pretty good feel for the town. as for the schools, we have heard good things about ethel boyes. im sure anything would be better then the schools here but we are looking for teachers that really care and are involved with there students. also, good test scores are important we want to make sure they are getting the education they need. agian thank you and we hope to hear more!!
Here are the links for the two school districts. You can read about both. Dist #93, basically is outside of the city of Idaho Falls, servces students in Ammon and unincorporated Bonneville County. Bonneville Joint School District #93

Dist #91 primarily serves students living in Idaho Falls - Idaho Falls District 91. You can look at boundaries and even e-mail the schools (if there is anyone around right now).

Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:10 PM

19 posts, read 88,032 times
I started my search using the greatschools.net website. It has aggregated data on test and other demographic factors for the elementaries, jr. highs and high schools here.

I then compared those ratings against our Colorado elementary school, which we loved, both the I.F. #91 schools and Bonneville #93 just blew our school away, numbers-wise! So i knew we are getting into a good area with the public education system.

There is a fine balance between numbers and personal experience, infrastructure, how your kids will fit in and the level of caring and interraction with the teacher. We were fortunate enough to speak with a couple with a same age child (they were showing us their fsbo house) and we got even more feedback on our target elementary schools. I am now not considering one that was my #2 choice and have replaced it with one that wasn't even on my list.

My advise is look at the pros and cons of your current school(s), decide what you like and want to duplicate in the new school, avoid the things you don't like.

But greatschools.net was my starting point, then the old-fashioned method of driving around and learning the area, the neighborhoods surrounding the school. Today the kids and I went and played on the school play ground and biked through the neighborhood, just to get a real good feel.

That's my 2 cents.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:36 PM

Smile Good Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace View Post
I started my search using the greatschools.net website. It has aggregated data on test and other demographic factors for the elementaries, jr. highs and high schools here.

I then compared those ratings against our Colorado elementary school, which we loved, both the I.F. #91 schools and Bonneville #93 just blew our school away, numbers-wise! So i knew we are getting into a good area with the public education system.

There is a fine balance between numbers and personal experience, infrastructure, how your kids will fit in and the level of caring and interraction with the teacher. We were fortunate enough to speak with a couple with a same age child (they were showing us their fsbo house) and we got even more feedback on our target elementary schools. I am now not considering one that was my #2 choice and have replaced it with one that wasn't even on my list.

My advise is look at the pros and cons of your current school(s), decide what you like and want to duplicate in the new school, avoid the things you don't like.

But greatschools.net was my starting point, then the old-fashioned method of driving around and learning the area, the neighborhoods surrounding the school. Today the kids and I went and played on the school play ground and biked through the neighborhood, just to get a real good feel.

That's my 2 cents.
CWallace,

Great advice like always. I'd look at what you want emphasized in your children's education. I'd ask which schools are going to be Magnet schools and in what areas of education.

BTW - you might want to consider merging this or changing the title of this thread and you aren't going to get many people to post about the weather compared to schools, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: