Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 09:33 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Take care Mike. I didn't think anyone here was having a worse 18 months than me. And i wouldn't want anyone in this unbelievable series of events. Nonetheless, you don't need to try and compete.....just get better soon

MSR
Thanks, MSR. I think I'll be pretty good in another week, and I'm very sorry you went through a bad spell of your own. I hope you are feeling fine now!

I've been remarkably lucky when it comes to injuries, considering all the dangers I've always had around in my life. I never broke a bone all the time I was a cowboy, which is very rare, and my last surgery was over 50 years ago until last week.

But over the past few years, I've been busted up some; a ladder broke while I was on it in 2010 that left me with a couple of broken ribs, and as soon as I was well on the way to recovery 9 weeks later, I came down with M1H1 flu, which made me cough so hard both ribs broke again. This go-round is nowhere as bad as that one was!

One thing's for sure- my career as a ballerina is over for good. Going to sell my toe shoes now. Dang.

On the bright side, I'm going to get a new puppy as soon as he's old enough to leave his mama, and I can barely wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 11:29 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

On the bright side, I'm going to get a new puppy as soon as he's old enough to leave his mama, and I can barely wait.
Okay, all I saw was blah, blah blah... PUPPY (j/k) Details please!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 12:58 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
We've been in Idaho 3 days now and offer this preliminary report.

Pocatello--visually more appealing than IF (to us). Traffic much lighter than IF. When it rains, water, water everywhere and lots of flooded streets!!! Costco. Easier navigation through the streets (except when flooded as it was near the university and Old Towne.

IF---love the mall!!! It's small enough to walk easily and wasn't too packed on Thursday afternoon. In Dallas the biggest mall is at least three times the size of the IF mall. It is so huge we have only been there once in the last 3 1/2 years. There comes a point in which too many choices becomes a burden rather than a blessing. IF seems just right.

Lots more traffic and a bit more confusing layout of the city. It hasn't helped that there is a LOT of road construction going on particularly on Broadway where we are staying.

IF library--superb. Since I often walk with a cane, the ramp to the upper area is great. I still get the exercise that I need without blocking faster moving folks on stairs, which are narrower.

One of my hobbies is playing European board games and I found "Mike's Place" (his place of work) in Ammon, who holds meetings on Thursday night (dang, I can't go tonight and leave the wife sitting alone in the motel room). Apparently 4-6 people show up most nights, and there are two small conventions in IF, one in April and the other in October I didn't expect anyone in this area to be into board games. Mike and I talked for about half an hour and as most hobbyists are able to do struck a similar chord.

We are now sure about our decision, and leaning toward IF.

By the way, Cleosmom, Motel West is older, but nicely refurbished. Breakfast is continental as opposed to what others call "full." Our only negative would be the wifi connection is not very strong. But pricing is very reasonable and we returned in the late morning to find the cleaning lady on her knees scrubbing out the tub. And yes, when staying anywhere more than one night we take care of room cleaners!

Tomorrow we are going to the fair!!!

Thanks all.

MSR, we actually visited my wife's counterpart at Portneuf Medical Center--she's been there 30 years--and she was very helpful with the medical ins and outs of SE Idaho. They, too, have had no luck recruiting an endocrinologist. Seems there may be more DOs coming into the area than MDs, but that may be a reflection of the cost of medical school.

Mike, get better soon.

Juneau, thanks for the encouragement, although we prefer a FEW more faces in our wide open space!!

One final thought, where are the curmudgeons in Idaho? We've been waiting, but this state seems to have more than its fair share of kind and helpful folks.

Warden,

I hope you have some fun at the fair. Board games....hopefully Mike has told you about the competition held in IF every six months for major game competition; although I admit I can't remember how much is board vs. electronic.

Everyone finds different things appealing, that's why people live in different places. What do you and your wife like about Pocatello? It's important to list, if possible, for others to read. Is it the railroad feel, tiny hills and flatland within blocks, older trees closer to I-15 or other? Help others see Poky through your eyes.

Send me a PM about meeting with your wife's counterpart and that discussion when you can. It will be interesting to know how much was the standard pitch vs. facts of how the County Commissioners, the state, special election etc. happened when work was planned or stopped on the current hospital. Also be fascinating to hear other things that don't belong in an open forum were explained.

Check the WiFi list. I can think of 5-6 Wi-Fis cl ose to where you are staying including Starbucks, Shari's, McDonald's and a 24 hr. Laundromat that all have great Wi-Fi.

Also, you might check with the library about Internet access for a visitor. Plus, take the time to look at the Statues of Big Dan and Little Ann as well as Wilson Rawls. He lived in IF when he wrote, "Where the Red Fern Grows."

Enjoy the rest of your trip and remember no one said ID was Dallas. Probably what a lot of us like about the area. But the road construction you mention is proof of growth. Remember, Idaho Falls is the major retail hub, medical hub ( just got Trauma II re-certified) and the largest airport in eastern ID. Lots of people/ supplies etc. for Yellowstone and Jackson Hole are enroute to their destinations.

I hope your wife enjoys her time off and gets to do some of what she enjoys.

MSR

Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Okay, all I saw was blah, blah blah... PUPPY (j/k) Details please!!!
He's an Aussie with about 1/4 Border Collie, the only kind of dog I've ever owned. My last Aussie died last year at 14 1/2, and i wasn't interested in getting another put until I met this little guy, who really reminded me of my old guy in both looks and personality.
He comes from excellent working parents. I don't expect I'll ever work him, but he sure has the right stuff.

My bro got a female from the mother dog's last litter, and she was excellent. Unfortunately, she was accidentally run over on our ranch in July, as often happens, when she was just 14 months old, and we all were heartbroken. She was one of the few dogs in our family that everyone loved; we all have dogs, but not all are universally loved by us all.
My bro got on the list for this litter and has another pup picked out, and the dog's owner said I could get one if I wanted. I learned a long time ago that when a real good puppy shows up, I had better get it or forget it, and I guess the timing was just right.

I'll post a pic in a couple of months. Here's one of my old friend; he was one of the very best dogs of the many I've owned since childhood.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Oh my, he's handsome!!! I know what you mean about getting "the dog". That's how I felt about my Cleo who we had to PTS a year ago July. She was a Border Collie mix and would have been 16 had she made it to October. I love the two we have now, but Cleo was my heart dog. Can't wait to see the pictures of the new guy

Quote:
He's an Aussie with about 1/4 Border Collie, the only kind of dog I've ever owned. My last Aussie died last year at 14 1/2, and i wasn't interested in getting another put until I met this little guy, who really reminded me of my old guy in both looks and personality.
He comes from excellent working parents. I don't expect I'll ever work him, but he sure has the right stuff.

My bro got a female from the mother dog's last litter, and she was excellent. Unfortunately, she was accidentally run over on our ranch in July, as often happens, when she was just 14 months old, and we all were heartbroken. She was one of the few dogs in our family that everyone loved; we all have dogs, but not all are universally loved by us all.
My bro got on the list for this litter and has another pup picked out, and the dog's owner said I could get one if I wanted. I learned a long time ago that when a real good puppy shows up, I had better get it or forget it, and I guess the timing was just right.

I'll post a pic in a couple of months. Here's one of my old friend; he was one of the very best dogs of the many I've owned since childhood.

Old 09-07-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Oh my, he's handsome!!! I know what you mean about getting "the dog". That's how I felt about my Cleo who we had to PTS a year ago July. She was a Border Collie mix and would have been 16 had she made it to October. I love the two we have now, but Cleo was my heart dog. Can't wait to see the pictures of the new guy
I'm sorry CLEOSMOM that I didn't remember the one year anniversary of losing Cleo. Many may close but not Cleo.

MSD

Old 09-07-2013, 03:19 AM

Quote:

Very nice, Mike. I'm glad to hear you'll be gefting a new little one in your life. I guess I don't write too much here about my Miss Christi. Unfortunafely, we've been separated for about a year. She isn't safe for me right now until more gets decided about me.
But maybe I can drive to where she's living and at least see her from a car this weekend. That would be a nice plus

Maybe we all should try to stay healthy or uninjured enough we should meet sometime with our K-9s.

MSR

Old 09-07-2013, 10:38 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Default Fair and Craters of the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Warden,

I hope you have some fun at the fair. Board games....hopefully Mike has told you about the competition held in IF every six months for major game competition; although I admit I can't remember how much is board vs. electronic.

Everyone finds different things appealing, that's why people live in different places. What do you and your wife like about Pocatello? It's important to list, if possible, for others to read. Is it the railroad feel, tiny hills and flatland within blocks, older trees closer to I-15 or other? Help others see Poky through your eyes.

Send me a PM about meeting with your wife's counterpart and that discussion when you can. It will be interesting to know how much was the standard pitch vs. facts of how the County Commissioners, the state, special election etc. happened when work was planned or stopped on the current hospital. Also be fascinating to hear other things that don't belong in an open forum were explained.

Check the WiFi list. I can think of 5-6 Wi-Fis cl ose to where you are staying including Starbucks, Shari's, McDonald's and a 24 hr. Laundromat that all have great Wi-Fi.

Also, you might check with the library about Internet access for a visitor. Plus, take the time to look at the Statues of Big Dan and Little Ann as well as Wilson Rawls. He lived in IF when he wrote, "Where the Red Fern Grows."

Enjoy the rest of your trip and remember no one said ID was Dallas. Probably what a lot of us like about the area. But the road construction you mention is proof of growth. Remember, Idaho Falls is the major retail hub, medical hub ( just got Trauma II re-certified) and the largest airport in eastern ID. Lots of people/ supplies etc. for Yellowstone and Jackson Hole are enroute to their destinations.

I hope your wife enjoys her time off and gets to do some of what she enjoys.

MSR
Went to the fair yesterday and for us the Indian pony relay races were the most interesting and fun for us. The wife gave the quilting exhibits a close second. We lived in KY many years and are familiar with thoroughbred racing but had never seen quarter horse races---which I equated in my mind as auto drag racing with a single horse for power! Interesting, but not nearly the display of both horsepower and individual athleticism of the Indian races. Very impressive.

Today we slept late, ate at the newly reopened Smitty's (good food and service), then left before noon headed to Craters of the Moon. Took a short hike on one of the paved trails and 200 yards from our vehicle it was total silence---a great blessing for our normally city-locked souls. We just sat on a bench and listened to nothing for a long time before a bird began to chirp.

Then we got ambitious and decided to make a run for Ketchum. In Hailey we decided to turn around and head back the way we came. The loop I was hoping to make was a bit further than the late afternoon would have allowed. Also, there was quite a bit of traffic and several long stretches of 25mph zones. Scenery was terrific, however, and once again very friendly people. Just a quick note about the Ranger on duty at CMNM, I was searching through my wallet for our National Parks Pass for over-the-hill adults and couldn't find it. I told the wife to go ahead and pay him. He said, "Naw, you've looked too hard, I know you have one," and let us through. Sure enough at our first stop in the monument, I found it. Made sure when we left he saw it so he wouldn't wonder if his faith in us was misplaced. I doubt that kind of trust would be in many government workers, but it was in that one. A very pleasant experience for me who was already irritated at myself for misplacing the card.

Ate supper at O'Brady's. Diner style food that was okay. Seemed like a lot of locals in there, but the service fell short of what we received at Buffalo Wild Wings, Red Robin, and Smitty's.

One small downside for Idaho---gasoline prices run about 20 cents higher than Texas--and because of higher altitudes "regular" gas is 85 octane, in Texas it's 86, which is what my Ridgeline requires. So I'm putting in 87 octane at 10 cents more than regular. Have pretty much decided my beloved truck will not be returning to Idaho after all! :crying We will stick to the CRV instead.

MSR, one older resident who lives just west of Poky, and with whom we talked at the fair, suggested IF would be the better choice for us because, in his opinion, "There are too many liberals and union people in Pocatello!"
We think Poky is better layed out than IF at first glance because it is closer to Boise and SLC, because once you know where Yellowstone Street, Main Street, and 5th are located you can find about anything. There are a multitude of one way streets which I personally find easier to navigate than two-way streets needing lots of left turns.

But IF is economically more viable, has the inside mall which I will require for winter walking, and has an airport on location for more hassle free departures--especially in family emergencies. And it's closer to Jackson and West Yellowstone. So it is our first choice right now.

With regard to health care discussions we had at Portneuf, there was nothing political. We were looking for names of local physicians who are taking Medicare and there are at least four newer ones in Poky that are. We were told that some physicians have stopped taking new Medicare patients (as they have in Dallas, too). We also heard that Portneuf's insurance plan is going to be surcharging employees and dependent coverage for BMI over a certain unnamed percentage. My wife expects the same thing is about to happen at Texas Health Resources because of recent mandatory questionnaires that have been sent out. As a former insurance rate maker and compliance officer I am positive this is going to happen---and it will be to increase profits, it absolutely will not decrease rates for those in "better" classes. It's one of the things that began to disgust me with my chosen profession.

But that's not a story for here.

Tomorrow we hope to drive to Rexburg and to take a walk along the river here in IF.

Thanks to all, and happy puppy hunting!!!

P.S. IF game conventions are the second weekends in April and October.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 09-07-2013 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Added postscript

Old 09-13-2013, 07:58 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Default In Boise now

Well our first visit to Idaho is coming to a close. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and appreciate the many comments and suggestions about Idaho Falls.

For people who are perhaps visiting IF for the first time here are the major streets I feel are important to know.

1. Broadway to get to older downtown from the west side.
2. Yellowstone for a good north/south route and to head north out of town.
3. 17th to get to the mall and Ammon.
4. Sunnyside for a parallel east/west road and easier access back to 15 from the east side.
5. Holmes, although I really don't know why. We just found ourselves on it several times.

Once you have those streets fixed in your head navigation is a little easier.

We hope to return in early to mid-April to find a place to live.

Thanks, all.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:59 PM

836 posts, read 1,662,062 times
Thanks for the synopsis, Warden, and also for the helpful navigation tips.

I wish you well in your home search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls