U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 2,561 times

Advertisements

About to move to IF to begin working at INL, and had a few [random] questions. Hopefully there won't be too much overlap with the other threads, and my apologies if so.

1) How is the light/sky pollution? I am a stargazer and would like to know the condition of the skies over eastern Idaho.

2) Are there typically rental properties near the Snake River?

3) Are there local "diner" type restaurants, or is it predominately chain?

4) Does anyone have any information about the busses that shuttle to and from INL each workday?

I am sure I will think of more as these are answered... Thanks to all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,758,523 times
1. The air above Idaho Falls is generally good, although fog, or an occasional inversion can happen during the winter. This is somewhat rare, however. During the dry season, a nearby forest fire can make it hazy but this generally not long-lasting.

2. Rentals near the Snake River. Depends on what your meaning of "near" is. As for right on the river, very few. Within a half mile, quite a few.

3. Diners, local restaurants, and chains are all represented in IF. Some say there are too many chains, but I'm not sure I agree.

4. INL shuttles: https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/ser...=CommunityPage

Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 AM

27,206 posts, read 18,535,269 times
While Idaho Falls does get winter temp inversions which may inhibit stargazing, it's easy to get above the inversions. The foothills very close by are high enough to find clear skies in all seasons, and the main roads in the foothills are all paved and plowed in the winter.

The Snake has relatively few homes along it inside the city limits, but there are many homes right on the river in Bonneville County both north and south of town. This is also true in neighboring Jefferson County to the north and Bingham County to the south. Most of the homes next to the river are large and expensive, though.

While I.F. does have a few local fine dining establishments, and fewer old style locally owned cafés, the vast majority of eateries are chains. I.F. is a town where eating at the Olive Garden is considered Fine Dining. The North Hiway Café and a couple of others on W. Broadway are the last of the old-time diners. We have 2 truck stops that are also good and locally owned. Some of the older and established hotel restaurants along the river are good and local.

The trip to the INL site is about 60 miles one way. There are bus areas all over town where people can walk to or drive to and park their cars. The current fleet of busses are relatively new, and are much cheaper than commuting 120 miles daily in a personal car. Most folks buy a 'bus pillow' first thing, and doze on the way out- catching the bus makes getting up early a requirement.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM

229 posts, read 518,185 times
Inversions of the type seen in salt lake city are a non issue in Idaho Falls, correct?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:22 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,312,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-to-? View Post
Inversions of the type seen in salt lake city are a non issue in Idaho Falls, correct?
Correct!

Unless one is a pulmonary/ or cardiac patient with disease severe enough to require 3+ meds, far too much was made of what happened in SLC this year. I was there. I was walking in the outside air it wasn't pleasant and it was being in a cold LA.. It was an unusual set of circumstances that all happened at the same time longer than normal. Certainly with UT's rapid growth and Salt Lake Metro being in the valley with the Wasatch Mtns. on the east and the Oquirrh Mtns. on the west the air can't blow out like it can in Idaho Falls.

To UT's credit new laws and guidelines have already been in place several months, let alone expansion of Front Runner and an entirely new section of Light Rail opening in April with additional Trax lines being expanded, proactive actions continue in downtown biking etc. The 230 member Utah Physicians for Healthy Environment (UPHE)admits not all members are physicians that general public members are included in the membership with no breakdown of how many members work as X, Y or Z.

The recently published autism study suggesting a connection to air quality pregnant mothers breathe during pregnancy might be right on. If that is the situation, shouldn't children diagnosed with Autism be limited to certain cities with air particulate matter at a certain level? Why would any child born in Idaho have Autism where the air is clean and clear?

Perhaps having Dr. Bill McMahon being a pioneer researcher in Autism, the work of prior to most pediatricians knowing how to pronounce the diagnosis coupled with the fact along with having a Howard Hughes Genetics center in the state contribute to the data as well.

The air in Idaho Falls is clean and crisp at the coldest time of year.

Sorry for the rant! So much info was not included.......well as you know critical thinking helps in most aspects of life.

Good luck moving.

MSR

Old 08-08-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas-to-? View Post
I thought you might be interesting and useful to answer a question and maybe make some friends with similar interests.

Idaho Falls Astronomical Society

2013 List of Astronomy Clubs in ID

I hope those sites are helpful. Lots of people love to gaze at the stars. One local radiologist enjoyed star gazing so much he had a special retracting roof built for his house. He could look at the stars anytime he went to his attic.

MSR

Old 08-15-2013, 04:52 AM

27,206 posts, read 18,535,269 times
An old friend of mine is a stargazer. He likes to drive out west, into the Arco desert, best. He says the air out there is always crystal clear unless it's raining or snowing.

I'm not so sure about that- I've been in a dust storm or two out there, but that's what he says. he might be going out as far as the Craters of the Moon, which does have great clarity. The Craters sets the national standard of air purity for the Weather Service, so the star gazing must be pretty good out there. And since there are no city lights at all, it's very dark, too.

He has a big telescope he mounts on a pickup bed and always dresses like he's going to the Arctic Circle. The last time we talked, he had rigged a way to use an electric blanket to keep him warm.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
An old friend of mine is a stargazer. He likes to drive out west, into the Arco desert, best. He says the air out there is always crystal clear unless it's raining or snowing.

I'm not so sure about that- I've been in a dust storm or two out there, but that's what he says. he might be going out as far as the Craters of the Moon, which does have great clarity. The Craters sets the national standard of air purity for the Weather Service, so the star gazing must be pretty good out there. And since there are no city lights at all, it's very dark, too.

He has a big telescope he mounts on a pickup bed and always dresses like he's going to the Arctic Circle. The last time we talked, he had rigged a way to use an electric blanket to keep him warm.
Sounds great. Does your friend go solo or as part of a group?

With all the wildfires and smoke there probably won't be clear skies for a while. I sure wish they would end!

MSR

Old 08-18-2013, 05:59 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,758,523 times
This time of year, with current conditions, many are predicting it will take snowfall to clear the air. They said this last year as well, and for the most part they were correct. The good news is snowfall in the high country can start as early as mid-October, or earlier.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 PM

10,688 posts, read 6,583,145 times
Default Weather in Sept?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
This time of year, with current conditions, many are predicting it will take snowfall to clear the air. They said this last year as well, and for the most part they were correct. The good news is snowfall in the high country can start as early as mid-October, or earlier.
So, the wife and I are about two weeks away from coming into SE Idaho for a visit. Actually leave Denver on Memorial Day headed that direction. Since we plan on staying over a weekend there, I thought we would take a drive through the Arco that Banjo had mentioned several months ago in a post. We don't have any breathing problems per se, except we are both now flatlanders and heavier than we should be, but I'd rather not tool around through an area full of smoke either. Is that what is going on out there right now?

How about us driving up to Ketchum out of Idaho Falls to get a glimpse of that area? Okay in September you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls