U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 09:38 AM

40 posts, read 185,301 times

Advertisements

Hi I was wondering why there are so many vacant buildings here? It seems like every street I drive on has at least 5 restaurants that have closed. It is really spread out here, so maybe it just seems like there are a lot of empty buildings. Anyone know why there are so many for lease signs up everywhere??

Also what is up with Idaho license plates? Does everyone have expired plates? Every license plate I see has a different year from 2011. I have seen license plates as far back as '01. In the complex I am in, there is a line of plates '01, '04, 06' etc but no one with current. I think I have only seen 2 plates with current plates. Where I am originally from, you would be ticketed the next morning if your plates were expired.

The town seems really really quiet for the size. I never see anyone around. The apartment complex I am in has a pool, gym etc and I have only seen 2 people in it the whole time since I have been here. Even when I drive down the streets, I never see anyone outside. I find this a bit odd. Yet, there is always a lot of traffic though! lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 03:26 AM

4,941 posts, read 16,942,930 times
Quote:
Also what is up with Idaho license plates? Does everyone have expired plates? Every license plate I see has a different year from 2011. I have seen license plates as far back as '01. In the complex I am in, there is a line of plates '01, '04, 06' etc but no one with current. I think I have only seen 2 plates with current plates. Where I am originally from, you would be ticketed the next morning if your plates were expired.
The larger number you're seeing on the tag is the month, the year runs up the side of the tag. Red tags expire in 2012.

Quote:
Hi I was wondering why there are so many vacant buildings here? It seems like every street I drive on has at least 5 restaurants that have closed. It is really spread out here, so maybe it just seems like there are a lot of empty buildings. Anyone know why there are so many for lease signs up everywhere??
There are a myriad of reasons; out on West Broadway there's a very large building that is empty. It used to house Kmart until they moved to Ammon, just after that Ernst Hardware was there, but they didn't last. Quite often the building is rented for special events. Some businesses have just packed up and moved. Cal-Ranch's warehouse used to be out on north Hitt, however they moved to UT as the traffic lanes (for trucking) make more sense there and they now currently have more stores in UT than they do in ID.

The sparse activity could be tied to folks that work out at the Site rather than in town.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:19 AM

40 posts, read 185,301 times
Thanks for all the information. I guess I misread the license plates lol.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:44 AM

4,941 posts, read 16,942,930 times
Not a problem, I still do that as they changed the format a few years ago. It used be the other way around

Old 08-13-2011, 11:19 PM

27,082 posts, read 18,365,032 times
It really depends on where you are as to how quiet I.F. is.
It's a real family town.
Lots of younger folks with lots of kids. I did a pass through the Greenbelt this morning and saw a couple of thousand folks there- some were shopping at the Farmer's Market, some were getting ready for the Duck Race, and a bunch were lining up their prized hot rods, getting ready for the car show by the John's Hole bridge. All stuff families do together out here.

If I would have extended my cruise and gone through Tautphaus Park, I would have seen just as many folks watching the Little League games, visiting the zoo, just hanging out under the trees, or having fun on the rides.

And several thousand more packed up the pickup and went fishing, now that the water is down. Or limbered up their mountain bikes, or just went over to Jackson or Yellowstone for the day.

There used to be a lot more kid cruising on 17th, but after the gas prices went up, they don't cruise as much anymore.

As to the vacant buildings... I.F. is just now coming into middle age. Almost 30 years ago, 17th was just an arterial street with mostly homes and a few businesses, and some farms, but it was zoned commercial-residential. When it was widened to 5 lanes, most of what you see there now went up within 7 years or so. That ground was cheaper than any other commercially zoned property in town.

With the new access, it unintentionally became the city's hub, displacing the earlier downtown commercial hub, the newer hub on the west side, and the middle aged hub on the Yellowstone highway. A ton of businesses simply moved to where the customers were going.

The plates now get stickers each year. it's a money saving measure, but if you need new plates, they will give them to you. Most folks memorize their plate number, and don't want to change them.

Have you figured out the license plate code yet? We all know where another Idahoan comes from- the code is cool that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: