Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 41,127 times

Advertisements

What happened to cause 49 rapes in 2006(7?)? That seems awful high for a smaller town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
I would guess that would be how the law is interpruted (sp?). Those could be having sex with a minor (18 year old male and 17 year old female etc.), acts of vengence (hear about this alot) and sadly there is the real thing.

Odd, we don't hear about many, what's your source if you don't mind me asking?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:39 PM

316 posts, read 1,248,974 times
Default I just got an email about how keep yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I would guess that would be how the law is interpruted (sp?). Those could be having sex with a minor (18 year old male and 17 year old female etc.), acts of vengence (hear about this alot) and sadly there is the real thing.

Odd, we don't hear about many, what's your source if you don't mind me asking?
I just got an email about how to keep yourself safe.
It said don't wear your hair up in a pony tail or a bun.
They like long hair they target women like this.
Also women who don't pay attention to what is going on around them.
Don't be on the cell phone.
carry unbrella with you , carry pepper spray, pinch the arm of your attacker between the elbow and forarm.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:12 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
I work for our County Sheriff's Office and I know that statistics are usually misinterpreted, so it would depend on where you got your information. As Cleosmom said, a "rape" can be consentual sex between an underage girl and a boy over 18...or it can be "attempted" or date rape, or it can be other areas of sexual activity that fall under the sexual assault laws of your area. Each state has its own Revised Statutes

Old 02-19-2008, 01:02 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
I think I would inquire with the county sheriff's department if they changed their statistical reporting methods, or if actual sexual assault crimes have indeed skyrocketed. They will give you the straight scoop.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
somebody reported, believe me, its an under reported crime.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:06 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
Its really tough to track sexual offenses in Idaho and compare them to other locations. Idaho counts more than just the regular violent offenses, all the way down to flashing, streaking and mooning from what I understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I see looking at various sources around the web, it looks like the rate of all sexual crimes is increasing in Idaho, but slowly, not a large spike that I can see. The slow growth can be easily explained by all the population growth. As more people move in, you get more good people, more normal people, but also more bad people.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:43 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
No, you are correct. Compared to CA where I was a peace officer, Idaho's laws throw a much broader net which charges several things as sexual assault, and they cannot be pled down to anything below a certain level, which is different than other states.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 PM

105 posts, read 315,383 times
Hmmmm.. I guess Idaho isn't as safe as everyone glorifies it to be

Old 02-20-2008, 01:46 AM

45 posts, read 288,186 times
Default statistics...

Not necessarily, it's how you interpret the information that's published. If one state doesn't declare acts of indecency as sexual misconduct, it APPEARS to be safer than a state that is very strict with regards to reporting, but might have just as many acts, or even more...and you wouldn't know about it...

Ignorance is bliss, but it doesn't reflect REALITY!

That said, where I live we don't have the choice of being informed or remaining ignorant, no reports are available to the general public, no listing available on internet...you could be living right next door to a repeat sexual offender and not even know it...which is not an exactly "blissful" feeling!

Better to be aware of the problem/risks, and to look out for oneself. You might come across as paranoid sometimes, but it's better to be paranoid and alive/safe than oblivious and dead/raped...(although not all women who were killed or raped were necessarily oblivious or not careful...)

My advice, carry a whistle on you. It can't be used against you, isn't complicated to use, doesn't take up much pocket or keyring space, and could scare off a potential attacker by drawing attention...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
View detailed profiles of: