Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 10:50 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

It's official, they opened their first free standing store here in Idaho Falls this past Friday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 11:25 AM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
That surprises me. Are there enough coffee drinkers in Idaho Falls? I suppose they do their market research, though.

--'rocco

Old 08-18-2007, 12:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Question I'm Confused by Your Message

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
That surprises me. Are there enough coffee drinkers in Idaho Falls? I suppose they do their market research, though.

--'rocco
True, a lot of people do prefer tea. I'm not sure scirocco22 why you wouldn't think Starbucks wouldn't open in Idaho Falls. If your comment was due to a certain religion, not even half of the population is that religion.

If your comment was because of the established Java drive throughs, which have been in business many years and you think there isn't business enough for all of them, I suspect Starbucks first will get Commuters, People on Vacation and local hotel "traffic" among their clientele. However, people in I.F. have been coming to grips of whether they support all of the local coffee drive throughs vs. the first Starbucks which was originally in the first Barnes and Nobles Bookstore, then in Fred Meyers.

I don't know where you live or your background, so I'll simply say I'm more surprised Starbucks continues to put so many stores around college campsuses, given their costs. When a galloon of gas and a Starbucks cup of coffee are equal or similar in price, I have to wonder where the college students get the money vs. drinking coffee in the Student Union Bldgs.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:07 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Ok, Mt. States, you "outted me!" Yes, my assumption was based on the large LDS population in the area ...and ignorance.

I haven't been to Idaho Falls in years. However, it seems the last time I was there, I didn't remember seeing many coffee stands or houses. I'm from Seattle originally so I'm used to seeing them everywhere. If you've ever been in that area, you'll know that it's not uncommon to even see a Starbucks on opposite sides of an intersection. Of course, Seattle is home to Starbucks so I have no idea if that's common in other areas.

Moving from Seattle to the St. George Utah area, I remember making the same comment to people when I noticed the lack of coffee houses and latte stands in the St. George area. I had to be reminded that St. George's population at the time was almost 80% LDS. Oooooh! *bonks self aside the head* Being from the Seattle area, it was just strange to see the lack of coffee stands on every other block or Starbucks on every street corner ...or so it seems at times.

So yes, my apologies for assuming that Idaho Falls wouldn't have the population of coffee drinkers to support a Starbucks. Like I say, ignorance on my part.

I'd like to visit Idaho Falls again. I'm sure I'd be surprised by the changes.

--'rocco

Old 08-18-2007, 01:57 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,297 times
Well, it might also depend on how many Californians are moving to IF. For some reason Californinas are addicted to $5 coffees I'm not...don't even drink coffee.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:12 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
Ok, Mt. States, you "outted me!" Yes, my assumption was based on the large LDS population in the area ...and ignorance.

I haven't been to Idaho Falls in years. However, it seems the last time I was there, I didn't remember seeing many coffee stands or houses. I'm from Seattle originally so I'm used to seeing them everywhere. If you've ever been in that area, you'll know that it's not uncommon to even see a Starbucks on opposite sides of an intersection. Of course, Seattle is home to Starbucks so I have no idea if that's common in other areas.

Moving from Seattle to the St. George Utah area, I remember making the same comment to people when I noticed the lack of coffee houses and latte stands in the St. George area. I had to be reminded that St. George's population at the time was almost 80% LDS. Oooooh! *bonks self aside the head* Being from the Seattle area, it was just strange to see the lack of coffee stands on every other block or Starbucks on every street corner ...or so it seems at times.

So yes, my apologies for assuming that Idaho Falls wouldn't have the population of coffee drinkers to support a Starbucks. Like I say, ignorance on my part.

I'd like to visit Idaho Falls again. I'm sure I'd be surprised by the changes.

--'rocco

scirocco22,

This is a get to share some similar observations about St. George, UT and our respective comments.

I use to work about 1 month/year in St. George for about 5 years, so I totally understand what your thinking about St. George. Maybe we should PM on that one, as it wasn't my favorite place, but probably for reasons not really well known.

Take some time to read about Idaho Falls in the various posts. It is an interesting city in that it has elements of the Utah connection (and I mean businesses and traditions, and certainly LDS buildings and culture for SOME residents. Additionally, many in the area, like in St. George, moved to Idaho Falls with a work ethic early pioneers had etc.). Interestingly, in talking to residents who are LDS and those who are not, that strong work ethic is one factor many identify as a common theme in Idaho Falls to natives (and we hope new residents too).

What you may find interesting, is Idaho Falls is also greatly influenced by Seattle, and the Northwest in general. Idaho Falls is in the Seattle region for many federal government regional offices. Additionally, because the state of Idaho is part of the WWAMI agreement with the University of Washington Medical School in Seattle, a greater number of physicians and other medical professionals, have lived in Seattle for many years. Consequently, they bring their tastes for Seattle food, coffee, clothing and other parts of life in Seattle back with them when they return to Idaho Falls.

Some say the name Nordstrom is floating around for either a store in the high end Snake River Landing development (Snake River Landing) or perhaps "A Rack" in the new outlet mall/ and retail complex to be built in Idaho Falls (www.http://www.sunnysidecrossroads.com/index2.html (broken link)). Many speculate this is where Costco will be built. For many years The Bon (or Bon Marche for those of us who go back that far) was a very dominant store in Idaho Falls. Shopping at The Bon in Seattle is always worked in my schedule whenever possible.

Another example of the Seattle - Idaho Falls connection, is Horizon Airlines, flies to Idaho Falls as the ONLY city in eastern/southeastern ID. And on those flights are often fresh fish caught from the shores in the Northwest. So restaurants similar to some in Seattle and more Sushi restaurants continue to enter the local cuisine scene. But, I sure wish we could get an Ivar's with the very famous clams (a copy of the restaurant on Route 99) in Idaho Falls. I haven't liked the other Ivar's close the UW and the lake as well as the one by the ferries on 99.

We still need a Costco in Idaho Falls and the demand is increasing. We have been waiting and waiting while all the new ones are built in UT so Costco can finally start building in eastern ID. If you happen to have connections, please pass along the word not everyone wants to shop at Sam's Club, the 2 Super Wal-Marts, etc. and are driving to UT cities, Twin Falls or sometimes Bozeman to shop at the Costco stores in those cities. I know NAI has been working hard to get Costco in Idaho Falls. Actually, I know it's just a matter of time as I've already heard of 3 different locations being considered.

Back to transporation, Horizon's description of Idaho Falls is interesting, if you have a chance to read about it on their website. And Horizon continues to work getting direct flights from Seattle to Idaho Falls and vice versa, a flight the airlines has worked on for years.

About a month ago Horizon broke "the rules" routing most flights in ID through Boise, or occasionally Spokane, and started a new route flying 64 seater planes from Seattle to Bozeman, MT and then to Idaho Falls, allowing passengers access to Yellowstone National Park in a unique way.

For those wishing to discover YNP and MT - they deplane in Bozeman. For passengers/visitors wishing to discover the southern part of YNP and perhaps the Tetons and Jackson Hole as well, they now have that option with this new Horizon flight. And the business travel from Idaho Falls to Seattle has always been busy, but may increase even more with this flight. This allows those needing to travel to Seattle the opportunity of flying without having to stop in Boise or Spokane. Someone thought out of the box designing this flight, and I believe it will be successful. IMHO - someone or a team at Horizon made an excellent decision creating this eastern ID, southern MT flight

So back to coffee and Seattle, one thing that surprises many who visit Idaho Falls is when the FAST FOOD restaurants, McDonald's I believe is one, SERVE SEATTLE's Best for their brand of coffee. I don't recall that in all cities.

I've spent a lot of time in Seattle, so I laughed about some of your Starbucks comments. I'm also a tad frustrated that it is always Starbucks building more coffee shops everywhere and not Seattle's Best or Tully's. However, Tully's is starting to build more, the last I knew. But, I don't know that Tully's in any capacity has made it to consumers in Idaho Falls.

Feel free to send me a PM any time, I suspect we have a lot of thoughts that aren't too different, given where we've each lived sometime during our lives.

And PLEASE, when you can, do follow our Idaho Falls threads. You may see trends of locals that seem much more similar to those in Seattle than those in St. George.

Just to be fair, I believe the comment, YOU-CANT-EAT-SCENERY made, "Well, it might also depend on how many Californians are moving to IF. For some reason Californinas are addicted to $5 coffees I'm not...don't even drink coffee," has to be considered when anyone things about St. George. I'm a little amused when I read the complaints about Californians moving to Idaho when St. George in particular, and UT in general, have had California residents moving there, in massive numbers, for about 20 years.

IMHO, residents of Idaho have a good reason to be concerned about the retired or those from California moving to Idaho and driving the housing and tax prices upward. Smart local government can help address some of the problems and hopefully leaders call St. George City Leaders frequently. I saw the two tier or "two class" life styles rapidly emerge in St. George. I saw the service sector caring for the needs of those who had relocated from CA. Recently, I talked to a college grad who had moved back to SLC as he couldn't obtain a job that paid over $6.00/hr. in St. George.

So sometimes I think we in Idaho are quite behind understanding how much a community can totally be changed by the influx of a large population from another state.

I hope to hear from you in the future, and I enjoyed your comments here. I do hope you'll plan a visit to Idaho Falls when you can and potentially not only stop for coffee at Starbucks, but try some of the local coffee shops as well, like the Villa Coffeehouse (The Villa Coffeehouse).

Interestingly enough, two of the major developers in town, the Walker Brothers DBA as McNeil Development, who have redeveloped this river front property and will finish their development with a couple more buildings, then a 5 story Marriott Residence Inn as well as a 13 story Condo Tower on the Snake River (Taylor Crossing on the River) are indeed the same McNeil Development who purchased all the land in Washington, UT for about 4,000 homes.

And, the CEO of Ball Ventures, who is building Snake River Landing, also has developed commercial and residential areas in St. George. Apparently, the new Hilton Garden Inn, in Idaho Falls, is suppose to be identical to the one in St. George, except BV made it one floor less. Probably, that has to do with the many other hotels BV's own in Idaho Falls, but who knows. Similar in so many ways, these two major development companies are entirely different in how they dispense information. McNeil gets information out as soon as possible while BV is very, very guarded about what they have planned. Good thing I know a few people connected with BV or I wouldn't know much about what is planned for Idaho Falls.

Sorry this has wandered to so many subjects, but I don't feel they are off topic. Actually, what I was trying to do is connect some dots of how Idaho Falls is in many ways a "crossroad" of Seattle and Northwestern ideas and Salt Lake City and UT ideas. Additionally, I didn't know if many really knew that two successful developers in Idaho Falls are successful developers in St. George too.

Those who have relocated from Seattle have influenced life in Idaho Falls as well as Boise and other areas. And some ideas about Idaho Falls is, or isn't, may or may be outdated and ready for a "refresher." Visiting Idaho Falls and finding out how Coldwell Banker Commercial Division from SLC working with BV's and others developers like Smith-Hawkins continues to ensure favorite UT stores are being expanded more and more to Idaho Falls. Yet, Seattle-based The Bon had a 2-3 story building downtown and was the closest store residents from UT could shop in a large Bon Marche, since UT didn't have the chain. That was until The Bon built 2 stores in UT - doing well in Cache Valley (Logan) but failing near Hill AFB in the Layton Hills Mall.

I hope you'll plan a trip to see what Idaho Falls has become and look at the city through the eyes of a former Seattle resident. Then as an "expert coffee drinker and judge," you can let us know what you think of local coffee drive throughs and sit down coffee shops. Don't view it as ignorance on your part, Rocco; instead, view this as an opportunity to learn about how much Idaho Falls has been influenced by residents relocating from from many locations.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-19-2007 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-19-2007, 09:37 PM

121 posts, read 737,972 times
I think the Starbucks will do well. It's a great location and they have the name recognition. Only drawback is they just had a company-wide price increase, as if the stuff wasn't already expensive enough. They'll get lots of traffic from the hotels and it's close to the freeway. I don't think it will hurt the Java Express across the street too much as they get lots of morning INL traffic and they're on the "right" side of the highway. Exiting Starbucks going west requires crossing traffic during rush hour and most site workers won't want to risk the aggravation. What could possibly hurt JE is that they use cheaper coffee beans, brew their coffee fairly weak compared to Starbucks and the quality is very inconsistent from stand to stand. On a good day they have excellent coffee but on bad days I usually throw the stuff out.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:05 AM

20 posts, read 95,511 times
Question Mormons and Coffee

Hi, all. I've found the comments about the LDS and coffee shops interesting. Based on other posts, I'm curious to know if Mormons drink coffee? If not, is there some type of restriction in the LDS faith? If they do, why are some folks so surprised about a Starbucks going up in an area heavily influenced by Mormons. I don't get it.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoMoose View Post
Hi, all. I've found the comments about the LDS and coffee shops interesting. Based on other posts, I'm curious to know if Mormons drink coffee? If not, is there some type of restriction in the LDS faith? If they do, why are some folks so surprised about a Starbucks going up in an area heavily influenced by Mormons. I don't get it.
As a health rule the Mormons do not drink heated caffeinated beverages. So there goes any tea or coffee that has caffeine in it. I know some and they do drink Mt. Dew and other pops with caffeine.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:25 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Is Starbucks the first major coffee house in Idaho Falls besides drive through java huts? Here in Boise Starbucks is almost a bad name. Starbucks has 28 locations in Boise/Meridian including stores in some of the Albertsons and I always hear that if you are a true Boisean or Idahoan that you don't go to Starbucks. Moxie Java is an Idaho headquarted coffee chain and is so much better IMO. Are there any Moxies in Idaho Falls? Dawson Taylor is another Boise headquartered coffee chain with excellent, excellent coffee. I would hope that there are some Moxie locations in I.F. since it is an Idaho chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls