Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,637,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There has been a ton of recent development centered around the new Wal-Mart superstore off of Utah Ave. I think it's only a matter of time that W. Broadway will become more commercially developed, and it has been a commercial street for many decades now.

The new Interstate exit on Sunnyside will also encourage development west of the river. I can see how W. Sunnyside could become a bigger commercial thoroughfare, and I can see housing subdivisions filling up some of the farmsteads between Sunnyside and 17th, and between Pancheri and Broadway.

Can't say what will become of the half-finished hotel, though. The last I heard, the contractor/owner disputes had been settled, so I think it's 50-50 as to whether it will ever be finished or not.

I don't think it will be demolished, though- the building is mostly unfinished on the inside, which allows it to be re-configured. At this point of construction, it wouldn't be impossible to remove the 3rd story as well, which could make it more sales friendly.

...and folks in Idaho Falls are more prone to come up with a re-purpose for any building than they are quick to tear one down or build a new one. The old wagon company building, for example, was a real eyesore to me, but lots of folks cherished it for it's long connections to the past.

The same was true with Eagle Rock St., back in the 60's, which was a real broke-down mess. Lots and lots of dispute about clearing out the entire block (the street is now the Library parking lot), but once it happened, everyone promptly forgot about it. Eagle Rock was the original Main St.

If the hotel was demolished and became a new parking lot, I think a lot of people would be very happy.
I will rephrase my thought on the unfinished hotel. It "may" be demolished if nothing happens. The real estate is too valuable to let this thing just sit there. As for other uses, perhaps, but it purely looks like a hotel, and that won't change despite what use someone comes up for it. I agree about the inside, that can be modified, but today it is important for a building to look like its purpose, otherwise, its value is undermined.

Agreed on the Wal-Mart, Utah Ave. area. When the economy gets better I would expect to see more happening in this area. The west side could grow, but I still think Ammon/Hitt is where most of the action will be in the next decade. That being said, the Pancheri project is important, but at this time kind of leads to nowhere, other than Skyline High School and some residential. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,637,576 times
The Pancheri project is underway. Utility work is is full swing. Drove by today and it was a beehive of activity. This isn't just about replacing a bridge, it is about widening Pancheri on both sides of the I-15 overpass. Looks like construction is stepping up and will continue throughout the summer. And as most already know, the hotel is being finished as a "Marriott Suites", due to open later this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls