U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,503,526 times

Advertisements

IFGuy, like your 8B license plate reference, spoken like a true Idahoan.

Something came to mind reading your last post, and that is "right now the cities in the county are planning for growth". True, as in the Pancheri Bridge across I-15 and access will be improved hopefully in 2012. This is a big project, (most likely with federal funding due to it being an Interstate crossing), but an important one in bridging West and East IF.

However, I don't hear much talk beyond this project. As we have established, future infrastructure is needed on the eastside into Ammon. Ammon doesn't seem to have much political will, nor the resources to do this, so the result may indeed be an IF annexation at some point. Another thread perhaps.

Last edited by pw72; 10-10-2011 at 07:45 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM

25,928 posts, read 17,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
The westside would benefit more the commuters who work at the INL and soon Areva. Would cut 10 minutes to potentially 30 minutes off the commute. Look for the westside to grow through the next few years.
I agree. The west side grew very fast in the late 70's, then stopped after 17th was widened.
Ammon has always drug it's feet in civic development vs. low taxes and city service rates. It's always worked to their disadvantage, too, as the needs of a growing city will be met one way or another, and Ammon always ending up paying more eventually than they could have for their reluctance.

The county has a similar strain of reluctance running through the rural areas- farmers and homeowners in the rural subdivisions don't want to pay for much they think benefits Idaho Falls more than them. The Idaho Falls residents seem to the the most willing bunch to foot improvement bills, and always have, in my decades of living here.

Iona is very independent minded, but they also are more willing to improve their village than some of the others in the county.

Hopefully, everyone in Bonneville County will come to understand that what benefits one will benefit all. We are well on our way to becoming a small metroplex, but planning is always slow and always becomes a complicated give & take affair.

I like your beltway route a lot. Well done!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:47 PM

386 posts, read 410,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
IFGuy, like your 8B license plate reference, spoken like a true Idahoan.

Something came to mind reading your last post, and that is "right now the cities in the county are planning for growth". True, as in the Pancheri Bridge across I-15 and access will be improved hopefully in 2012. This is a big project, (most likely with federal funding due to it being an Interstate crossing), but an important one in bridging West and East IF.

However, I don't hear much talk beyond this project. As we have established, future infrastructure is needed on the eastside into Ammon. Ammon doesn't seem to have much political will, nor the resources to do this, so the result may indeed be an IF annexation at some point. Another thread perhaps.
I do know that IF is planning on redoing the 17th/Hitt intersection with or without Ammon. They are also planning on widening Pancheri all the way to Bellin Road. Idaho Falls really has done a great job of handeling projects as the need arises.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Do you know the specific plans at 17th and Hitt? I wonder how much room they have to expand there, unless they use eminent domain and perhaps build some additional turn lanes on what is now private property, not sure the legalities of all that.

Agreed, IF does a decent job. The Sunnyside expansion a few years ago was sorely needed, and now this corridor acts as almost a southern parkway of the city.

Last edited by pw72; 10-11-2011 at 07:11 PM..

Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Do you know the specific plans at 17th and Hitt? I wonder how much room they have to expand there, unless they use eminent domain and perhaps build some additional turn lanes on what is now private property, not sure the legalities of all that.

Agreed, IF does a decent job. The Sunnyside expansion a few years ago was sorely needed, and now this corridor acts as almost a southern parkway of the city.
Not sure of the specifics however I would have to agree with you that will more than likely add extra turn lanes. I might imagine a right turn lane such as the one on 17th and Holmes.

I also imagine plans are to widen Hitt, Woodruff, and Holmes as that area continues to grow.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:13 AM

25,928 posts, read 17,332,595 times
I don't think Holmes can be widened past what has already been done, except for the road south of Sunnyside. I don't know where the city limits ends there, but I'm sure eventual annexation will extend along Holmes southward.

I tend to think the next great area of expansion will be west of the river again for all the reasons pw72 mentioned. Ariva will change the traffic flow a lot, and once up and going, I'm sure there will be other related companies who will build close by... it's very natural that, for example, trucking and other specialized transport outfits will move close by, and there will be other supporting industries that will do the same.

Workers won't want to battle traffic all the way across town to work in that area, and the west side still has a lot of room for subdivisions in all price brackets. Once the west side population increases, W. Broadway also has a lot of room for retail and commercial expansion. Folks living on the west side won't want to go through the hassles of going clear over to the east end of the city to do shopping for a lot of stuff, and retail won't face the same competition overload that exists along Hitt now.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I don't think Holmes can be widened past what has already been done, except for the road south of Sunnyside. I don't know where the city limits ends there, but I'm sure eventual annexation will extend along Holmes southward.

I tend to think the next great area of expansion will be west of the river again for all the reasons pw72 mentioned. Ariva will change the traffic flow a lot, and once up and going, I'm sure there will be other related companies who will build close by... it's very natural that, for example, trucking and other specialized transport outfits will move close by, and there will be other supporting industries that will do the same.

Workers won't want to battle traffic all the way across town to work in that area, and the west side still has a lot of room for subdivisions in all price brackets. Once the west side population increases, W. Broadway also has a lot of room for retail and commercial expansion. Folks living on the west side won't want to go through the hassles of going clear over to the east end of the city to do shopping for a lot of stuff, and retail won't face the same competition overload that exists along Hitt now.
Getting the west side to grow will be the best thing I think. All of the road widening I mentioned is south of Sunnyside, forgot to mention that, sorry.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Getting the west side to grow will be the best thing I think. All of the road widening I mentioned is south of Sunnyside, forgot to mention that, sorry.
Speaking of south of Sunnyside, I think Hitt will be the next growth area south of Sunnyside. There have already been two major developments there, Bonaventure Senior Living, and a medical complex across the street. However, it is just a two lane road through there, so the next wave of development will likely come after that expands.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Speaking of south of Sunnyside, I think Hitt will be the next growth area south of Sunnyside. There have already been two major developments there, Bonaventure Senior Living, and a medical complex across the street. However, it is just a two lane road through there, so the next wave of development will likely come after that expands.
Before the economy went into the crapper I heard many rumors from Fred Meyer to Costco locating on the southeast corner of Hitt and Sunnyside. Housing is still going up big time out that way.

Off topic a bit...NRC has licensed Areva!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Before the economy went into the crapper I heard many rumors from Fred Meyer to Costco locating on the southeast corner of Hitt and Sunnyside. Housing is still going up big time out that way.

Off topic a bit...NRC has licensed Areva!!!
Costco seems logical, especially since their Pocatello store is doing well. And that would be a very good location. The landowners there are likely waiting the economy out too. Will be interesting to see when the "sold" signs go up.

BTW, while I'm glad I started this thread, getting off the mostly unrelated Schlotzsky's thread, I notice only three of us have contributed. I would welcome others in the Idaho Falls area with an opinion on traffic and development to come on in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls