Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:42 PM

432 posts, read 533,235 times

Advertisements

It's actually kind of fun to talk about these things. I bet we'll get some more people posting here before too long. Traffic is one of those things that everyone has a gripe about, it affects us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 10:17 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,659,021 times
One of the oldest overpasses over I-15 is ready to be replaced. From the Idaho Transportation Department:

RIGBY - Replacement of the Pancheri Drive overpass south of Idaho Falls will begin Monday (May 21), the Idaho Transportation Department announced. The bulk of the project is scheduled for completion in November.

Travel on Pancheri Drive will be maintained at one lane in each direction. No initial impacts to Interstate 15 are expected. As construction advances, the public will be notified of anticipated changes to traffic flow on I-15. Construction will take place seven days a week.

During construction, motorists should anticipate merging traffic, watch for construction workers and equipment, and obey all traffic signs.

Construction will close Pioneer Road at its intersection with Pancheri Drive, with Pioneer Road accessible only from Sunnyside Road. Crews will maintain access to all businesses and residences throughout the project.

This project could be an important gateway between Idaho Falls and the westside. Improved access will help the westside improve commerce and residential.

Built in 1962, the two-lane bridge on I-15 will be replaced by a wider structure, with two lanes of traffic and a bike/pedestrian path in each direction.

The new overpass will be constructed just south of the existing one, after which the old bridge will be removed. Placement of girders on the new structure and removal of the old overpass may necessitate intermittent closures of I-15 at night.

The project will include building a new five-lane roadway on each side of the new overpass between Blue Sky Drive and a point near Utah Avenue, a distance of just under a mile.

Crews also will install water and sewer lines, a lift station, stormwater treatment and control systems, light poles, a traffic signal, and curb, gutter and sidewalk. Idaho Falls eventually plans to realign water lines at the west end of the reconstruction.

Expansions and upgrades will improve traffic safety and flow, reducing congestion on Pancheri Drive. Reconstruction will begin at Blue Sky Drive. The job will include reconstructing 600-700 feet of Skyline Drive. Bridge installation and approach reconstruction are scheduled for completion by year end, with seal coating planned in 2013.

The transportation department awarded HK Contractors Inc., of Idaho Falls, the $9 million contract. If you have questions, contact the department at (208) 745-7781.

Participating in the federally funded project are the transportation department, Bonneville Metropolitan Planning Organization (BMPO), Bonneville County and city of Idaho Falls. The project is part of a plan by BMPO, Bonneville County and Idaho Falls to upgrade the Pancheri corridor between Yellowstone Highway and Bellin Road in Idaho Falls.

Questions? Visit us online at itd.idaho.gov, follow ITD on Twitter (@IdahoITD) or Facebook and check travel conditions at 511.idaho.gov or dial 5-1-1. Please slow down in highway construction zones and pay attention. Safety for drivers and workers is our highest priority.

(I think this project will benefit the west side of Idaho Falls, and will increase commerce and residential growth in the area.-pw72_)

Last edited by pw72; 05-18-2012 at 10:29 PM..

Old 05-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
One of the oldest overpasses over I-15 is ready to be replaced. From the Idaho Transportation Department:

RIGBY - Replacement of the Pancheri Drive overpass south of Idaho Falls will begin Monday (May 21), the Idaho Transportation Department announced. The bulk of the project is scheduled for completion in November.

Travel on Pancheri Drive will be maintained at one lane in each direction. No initial impacts to Interstate 15 are expected. As construction advances, the public will be notified of anticipated changes to traffic flow on I-15. Construction will take place seven days a week.

During construction, motorists should anticipate merging traffic, watch for construction workers and equipment, and obey all traffic signs.

Construction will close Pioneer Road at its intersection with Pancheri Drive, with Pioneer Road accessible only from Sunnyside Road. Crews will maintain access to all businesses and residences throughout the project.

This project could be an important gateway between Idaho Falls and the westside. Improved access will help the westside improve commerce and residential.

Built in 1962, the two-lane bridge on I-15 will be replaced by a wider structure, with two lanes of traffic and a bike/pedestrian path in each direction.

The new overpass will be constructed just south of the existing one, after which the old bridge will be removed. Placement of girders on the new structure and removal of the old overpass may necessitate intermittent closures of I-15 at night.

The project will include building a new five-lane roadway on each side of the new overpass between Blue Sky Drive and a point near Utah Avenue, a distance of just under a mile.

Crews also will install water and sewer lines, a lift station, stormwater treatment and control systems, light poles, a traffic signal, and curb, gutter and sidewalk. Idaho Falls eventually plans to realign water lines at the west end of the reconstruction.

Expansions and upgrades will improve traffic safety and flow, reducing congestion on Pancheri Drive. Reconstruction will begin at Blue Sky Drive. The job will include reconstructing 600-700 feet of Skyline Drive. Bridge installation and approach reconstruction are scheduled for completion by year end, with seal coating planned in 2013.

The transportation department awarded HK Contractors Inc., of Idaho Falls, the $9 million contract. If you have questions, contact the department at (208) 745-7781.

Participating in the federally funded project are the transportation department, Bonneville Metropolitan Planning Organization (BMPO), Bonneville County and city of Idaho Falls. The project is part of a plan by BMPO, Bonneville County and Idaho Falls to upgrade the Pancheri corridor between Yellowstone Highway and Bellin Road in Idaho Falls.

Questions? Visit us online at itd.idaho.gov, follow ITD on Twitter (@IdahoITD) or Facebook and check travel conditions at 511.idaho.gov or dial 5-1-1. Please slow down in highway construction zones and pay attention. Safety for drivers and workers is our highest priority.

(I think this project will benefit the west side of Idaho Falls, and will increase commerce and residential growth in the area.-pw72_)
Yeah!!! I noticed just today they are starting to grade where the approaches are going to be. Love seeing the improvements...keep it up Idaho Falls!

Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Yes, this project is finally a reality.

I would like to see more focus on the westside of IF, as this area is underdeveloped compared to the IF/Ammon/Mall area. The Pancheri corridor doesn't really lead to anywhere, except Skyline High School, but it does provide a good route up to Broadway. (Broadway is under-utilized IMO, but there are many opportunities for growth, such as the old Ernst property, which is used only on occasion.) This type of property in Ammon would be very valuable. Perhaps we are years away from it, but I think the westside could be the next growth area for IF.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:

I would like to see more focus on the westside of IF, as this area is underdeveloped compared to the IF/Ammon/Mall area. The Pancheri corridor doesn't really lead to anywhere, except Skyline High School, but it does provide a good route up to Broadway. (Broadway is under-utilized IMO, but there are many opportunities for growth, such as the old Ernst property, which is used only on occasion.) This type of property in Ammon would be very valuable. Perhaps we are years away from it, but I think the westside could be the next growth area for IF.
Unfortunetly with the stalled Areva project the westside didn't get the boost many were expecting, however, the events center is expected to break ground next year. That should lead to more interest in Snake River Landing and the Sunnyside interchange.

Hopefully we'll get some good news from Areva soon, hopefully.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:06 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:

I tend to think the west side is already under consideration for businesses new to Idaho Falls. The recent construction has learned from the mistakes of 17th St. and has much better bike and pedestrian accommodation. With the new Pancheri bridge, I'm sure the west side will start to grow again very soon.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:44 PM

My only concern with this project is that it really doesn't offer a clean route to Broadway, the main artery of W. Idaho Falls. Yes, you can take a residential street north to get to Broadway, but this is a slow street at the end of the day. I think it is good that this bridge is being replaced, but in the end, this route needs to go somewhere. Right now, it doesn't.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:25 PM

Let me re-phrase. The new Pancheri project does lead to something, but not to any important commercial areas. It leads to Skyline High, and some residential, which IS something. However, unless there is some significant retail on the west side of the overpass, this bridge will be under-utilized. I'm glad they are building it bigger, but not sure the traffic volumes will increase greatly. Even with the ancient 2-lane bridge from 1961, there rarely were jam-ups there.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM

I noticed yesterday while driving over the Pancheri overpass just how huge the project is. I was also noticing how on the southwest side it looks as if they grading an on ramp going southbound. Either that or it is an access road that will connect to 17th south. I'm not sure, it sure would be nice to get a true project plan.

I know this isn't supposed to be an interchange, however, what if they placed ramps on the southside of the overpass? I think it's doable.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
I noticed yesterday while driving over the Pancheri overpass just how huge the project is. I was also noticing how on the southwest side it looks as if they grading an on ramp going southbound. Either that or it is an access road that will connect to 17th south. I'm not sure, it sure would be nice to get a true project plan.

I know this isn't supposed to be an interchange, however, what if they placed ramps on the southside of the overpass? I think it's doable.
Yeah, this isn't a simple bridge replacement. It is a major upgrade. The new bridge, as I understand it, will be built south of the current bridge to keep traffic moving. So, this new approach on the west side probably is just the realignment of the roadway to fit with the more southern location. If this was to include an onramp to I-15, then the feds would be more involved, and so far, I have not heard that they are. Also, I don't think an interchange at I-15 is needed here, as there is one just about a half mile to the north, albeit that Broadway interchange is also in need of a major rebuild, IMO. I would bet it is on the state's wish list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls