U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,488,538 times

Advertisements

Idaho Falls has some serious traffic problems. Yes, not to the extent of Seattle, Portland, or even Boise. But the city itself has not done much to expand for the growth that has occured and what is expected. What needs to be done in Idaho Falls to make traffic work in this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 06:30 PM

384 posts, read 408,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Idaho Falls has some serious traffic problems. Yes, not to the extent of Seattle, Portland, or even Boise. But the city itself has not done much to expand for the growth that has occured and what is expected. What needs to be done in Idaho Falls to make traffic work in this area?
The biggest thing needed is to widen the roads already affected by heavy traffic. St. Clair/ Woodruff north of Lincoln needs it baaaaaadddd. Take it all the way up to US 20, add a center turn lane, curb and gutter, sidewalk, room for a bike lane and landscaping.

I wonder if the county is holding off to see if Idaho Falls annexes this area so it then becomes IFs responsibility? Wierd to think that that area is not "technically" Idaho Falls.

Another rough road is Ammon Road. Even though Ammon thinks the state should pay for it, due to its classification as a state highway, it needs widened. It is also overdue for a stoplight at 1st Street, Sunnyside, and Lincoln Road. Massive growth is predicted for these areas. Once these areas are infilled we could see potentially another 20K residents depending on the density of residential development. Throw a few apartment complexes here and there and watch the traffic grow.

That would take care of a few issues in the county areas.

I have drawn up a map of what I feel would be a decent loop highway around town, problem is that I used google maps. Is it OK to post this?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:05 PM

Go for it, IFGuy, post it. The worst that can happen is they will delete it. But that is unlikely.

Last edited by pw72; 10-07-2011 at 09:51 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Go for it, IFGuy, post it. The worst that can happen is they will delete it. But that is unlikely.
Alright. I'm gonna do it.

When I can figure out how to do it.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 PM

Here it is.

Idaho Falls Traffic Planning-loop.png

The red line is of course the loop highway, the small lines would be interchanges. This would be great to see.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Cool. I especially think development would be strong on the eastside of this, around your Lincoln interchange and south. The west side not so sure of in that regard. Perhaps if this were ever to happen they build the east side of it first, the west side later.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Cool. I especially think development would be strong on the eastside of this, around your Lincoln interchange and south. The west side not so sure of in that regard. Perhaps if this were ever to happen they build the east side of it first, the west side later.
The westside would benefit more the commuters who work at the INL and soon Areva. Would cut 10 minutes to potentially 30 minutes off the commute. Look for the westside to grow through the next few years.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
The westside would benefit more the commuters who work at the INL and soon Areva. Would cut 10 minutes to potentially 30 minutes off the commute. Look for the westside to grow through the next few years.
I really like your vision for the future. I wonder if IF has the population that demands a beltline right now. I think a new expressway, parkway, freeway, however you want to classify it is needed from I-15 east and southeast into Ammon. Eventually a beltway would be great, providing growth continues, and there is no reason to believe it won't.

I also liked your intersections with major highways and roads. I wonder about intersections with I-15 both on the north side and the south. I noted you didn't provide them there, but this would seemingly be important to overall traffic flow.

I think IF will be a jewel in the coming decades, and probably a high growth area. There is nothing wrong with starting to think about future transportation needs now. And, (as I think we agree), it will be cheaper to build this infrastructure now than in 2020 or 2030.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:11 PM

25,825 posts, read 17,257,059 times
I like the idea of a beltway, too, but with a caveat...
It's always been the history here that, as soon as a street was widened, or city-county access was improved, sprawl immediately followed.
I think that any beltway planning should be made with this in mind, so that the beltways themselves don't become lined with commercial and residential entrances/exits that will clog them up like 17th. A beltway, I think, should be a fairly high-speed route with relatively few exit points onto just major connectors to be able to work well.

I also think a beltway should be designed so bicycles, scooters, and similar traffic has narrower dedicated lanes. As gas prices go up, which they will, steadily, I think we are going to see more and more bikes, motor bikes and scooters being used; all they lack now is 4 season ability and comfort, and I think that's going to happen pretty quickly. Designing for the future has to be done with an eye to the future, not just the present. (Easy to say, harder to do!)

I'm very happy this topic got it's own thread. I hope the mods will move some of the first thoughts that were posted in the Chick Fil A thread move them over to this one.

I fully agree that the sooner I.F. starts doing some serious planning and pulling a budget together is very important. Like you mentioned, it's going to be cheaper now than later, for sure, and the need for a plan will only get stronger as time goes by.
Idaho Falls is indeed a growing city, and has the potential to grow much more in leaps and bounds. I.F., Ammon & other surrounding towns, and Bonneville County all need in on the deal right from the first, and need to learn to cooperate with each other to prevent a huge chicken-fried mess from happening in the next big growth spurt.

I doubt Ammon will be annexed to Idaho Falls anytime in the forseeable future, unlike the annexations done in Pocatello years ago. That's fine with me, but we'll need strong cooperation from all parties to make a beltway, or any other big improvement in our streets and roads to become a reality.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I like the idea of a beltway, too, but with a caveat...
It's always been the history here that, as soon as a street was widened, or city-county access was improved, sprawl immediately followed.
I think that any beltway planning should be made with this in mind, so that the beltways themselves don't become lined with commercial and residential entrances/exits that will clog them up like 17th. A beltway, I think, should be a fairly high-speed route with relatively few exit points onto just major connectors to be able to work well.

I also think a beltway should be designed so bicycles, scooters, and similar traffic has narrower dedicated lanes. As gas prices go up, which they will, steadily, I think we are going to see more and more bikes, motor bikes and scooters being used; all they lack now is 4 season ability and comfort, and I think that's going to happen pretty quickly. Designing for the future has to be done with an eye to the future, not just the present. (Easy to say, harder to do!)

I'm very happy this topic got it's own thread. I hope the mods will move some of the first thoughts that were posted in the Chick Fil A thread move them over to this one.

I fully agree that the sooner I.F. starts doing some serious planning and pulling a budget together is very important. Like you mentioned, it's going to be cheaper now than later, for sure, and the need for a plan will only get stronger as time goes by.
Idaho Falls is indeed a growing city, and has the potential to grow much more in leaps and bounds. I.F., Ammon & other surrounding towns, and Bonneville County all need in on the deal right from the first, and need to learn to cooperate with each other to prevent a huge chicken-fried mess from happening in the next big growth spurt.

I doubt Ammon will be annexed to Idaho Falls anytime in the forseeable future, unlike the annexations done in Pocatello years ago. That's fine with me, but we'll need strong cooperation from all parties to make a beltway, or any other big improvement in our streets and roads to become a reality.
Yeah, I created this with limited access in mind at only the busiet points in the county. Highway 20 in the west and north, US 26 northeast of town, Lincoln, Sunnyside, I-15, and possibly if needed Woodruff. I like the idea of adding a bike path to the belt loop if indeed it was fenced off to prevent accidents.

Right now the cities in the county and the county are planning for growth and building proper infrastucture. Idaho Falls is building the transmission lines and investing in a wind turbine farm that will bring power to the city. I have seen a lot of sewer and water lines being replaced and I think there next route will be improving roads. Ammon is building its new sewer trunk and has been adding new water pumps and lines. Next thing they need to do is widen some roads and install traffic lights. Bonneville County needs to work with Ammon and widen some roads as well as install traffic lights.

The great thing about all the growth we have seen lately is any new sewer/ water lines are of best quality and wont need a ton of work for quite a while and should be easy to hook up to existing systems as annexation is commenced.

Should be a fun time for us to see how Idaho Falls and 8B grow and change over the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls