Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times

Advertisements

Just saw this on Local News 8's website: Construction Starts On Stalled Idaho Falls Hotel - Local News Story - KIFI Idaho Falls (http://www.localnews8.com/news/29585793/detail.html - broken link)

Not that I was ever in favor of it being there in the first place, but at least it will no longer sit as unfinished project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,663,701 times
Wow, that is great news. From the story it still appears Marriott will run this as a "Marriott Residence Inn", but that is fluid, (and the Courtyard By Marriott brand may be a possibility). This is still unknown, and the concept could change, or even a sale at some point once it is complete.

More importantly, this major hotel looks like it will come to fruition in some form. That is the most important point here. A great location, and a very nice downtown hotel, (the closest hotel to the Falls).

This is a great location, and as I mentioned in another thread, if this sat much longer a demolition was possible. So glad to hear that this does not appear to be an option right now. Great news for downtown Idaho Falls.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 AM

432 posts, read 533,832 times
Once the snow melts this spring and they get the landscaping completed people's views toward this eyesore will probably change. The completion of this project plus everything going on downtown next spring should help the overall image of Broadway. There is a lot of very desirable commercial land and having another hotel there makes it even more desirable.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,493,524 times
No doubt this new "yet-ta-be-named" hotel is good news for Idaho Falls.

Old 10-30-2011, 06:36 PM

Whatever the brand becomes, I'm just happy that this hotel will be completed. It is such an important piece of what downtown IF will become.

Marriott still owns the rights, but as I mentioned earlier, this could change with a future sale and/or trading. What it becomes is unimportant, the most important thing is IF will have a beautiful new hotel closer to downtown than any other.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 PM

From what I remember of Idaho Falls when we were living in Pocatello in 2006 is that I test drove a 2006 Scion xA in Polar White and 5-speed standard transmission and also a 2005 Scion tC in Absolutely Red and 5-speed standard transmission at Teton Toyota there in early 2006. The one I was interested in buying was the Scion xA. Anyway, I liked the little buzzbomb and was interested in it but my wife just laughed when I showed her the picture of the car!

But I liked Idaho Falls a lot, I think I like that city more than Pokey, really. Looking in to a job in Rexburg right now but it's a long move from Kellogg. Anyone have anything to say good, bad or indifferent about Rexburg, ID? I love that area and its close proximity to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Teton National Park. What a gorgeous part of the U.S. Yellowstone is my favorite park in the nation.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
From what I remember of Idaho Falls when we were living in Pocatello in 2006 is that I test drove a 2006 Scion xA in Polar White and 5-speed standard transmission and also a 2005 Scion tC in Absolutely Red and 5-speed standard transmission at Teton Toyota there in early 2006. The one I was interested in buying was the Scion xA. Anyway, I liked the little buzzbomb and was interested in it but my wife just laughed when I showed her the picture of the car!

But I liked Idaho Falls a lot, I think I like that city more than Pokey, really. Looking in to a job in Rexburg right now but it's a long move from Kellogg. Anyone have anything to say good, bad or indifferent about Rexburg, ID? I love that area and its close proximity to Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Teton National Park. What a gorgeous part of the U.S. Yellowstone is my favorite park in the nation.
Since you asked, I will offer my non-LDS opinion.

First, Rexburg is a different tier city than Pocatello and Idaho Falls. Not to diminish its population, (which is growing quickly, but still about a third of both of the aforementioned cities.)

Rexburg IS closer to Yellowstone than any significant city in Idaho. That is nice, especially when you have out of town guests in town.

My only concern is that Rexburg has become a kind of Provo-north. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but the town has become kind of a one-pony town...dominated by BYU-Idaho. Let me repeat, this isn't a bad thing.

However, a strong city must move beyond the LDS college. While this is important to the growth of the city, there needs to be more.

I appreciate the fact that Rexburg is one of Idaho's strongest cities on many levels. Diversification, though, will make the town grow even faster. I respect the strength of BYU-Idaho. However, this is not the ultimate answer for this city. Why not take this BYU-Idaho strength and multiply it? This is how Rexburg can become not just a small town near Idaho Falls, but a major city in the east Idaho corridor.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:23 PM

If I may add, Rexburg could do well with outside companies moving in to take advantage of a growing student and faculty population. A real unknown gem. An almost certain positive return on investment. How many towns in the country can offer this in this economy? A great unknown secret for most.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM

432 posts, read 533,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

If you don't mind commuting a bit, you could move to Idaho Falls, Rigby, Ucon, ect. Idaho Falls has everything you need and Rigby and Ucon are just a short drive to Idaho Falls or to Rexburg for work. Rigby has become a bedroom community of sorts for both Idaho Falls and Rexburg. Just a thought. I do like Rexburg though it is a neat little town, but like pw72 said it needs to move past BYU-I.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:48 PM

Yep, I've thought of Rigby at least once. The job is working for a large home oxygen provider-the manager said some visits could be out as far as Mud Lake, wherever that is. He mentioned the need to relocate there.

I said something about maybe renting a room and staying nearby Rexburg until I save enough to move the 4 animals and my wife over there from Kellogg. Too bad I can't find a Respiratory Therapist opportunity in N. Idaho that offers full-time hours but so far it's proven to be most elusive to me. An interview is coming right up for the Rexburg job...I am both excited and intrigued by it's closeness to Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, The Grand Tetons...etc.

How far from the Teton Range is Rexburg, as the crow flies sort of a thing, maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls