Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2016, 03:58 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
A coincidence with a little private pushing behind it can still be coincidence.

Convergence of interests has never been only a matter of random chance or blind luck. In the business world, finding those convergences gets a person titled "A Man of Vision".

There's another old business saying: Timing is everything. The Events Center didn't just spring up like a spring daisy. There were civic groups who were trying to get the thing built back in 1995 or earlier.

Back then, one group was looking at property just north of Hwy. 20, another outskirt that was in the city limits. Since I was never a member, I don't know what happened, but I don't believe the final choice had a lot of influence at the time from the Balls. For sure, if influence played a part in the decision, there were lots of developers involve in the decision, each in some conflict with the other.

Given the Ball family's track record of successes, I tend to believe that if the Balls had major influence in the choice of location, the Events Center would have been built and up and running several years ago. They don't mess around once they make a decision, and they have a very good sense of timing.
Mike, I'll agree there have been various attempts over the years for an events center. Different factors have played different roles. Besides acknowledging that, the history isn't as important as the present and the Events Center.

And I can't publicly post all I know about my earlier post. I'll reminder readers last year it was Theotherdude and I, from totally different perspectives, that knew new building was going to occur. The result: the seven buildings of luxury apartments. I'd encourage anyone who hasn't seen them to drive or walk by to see them.

Ball Ventures made the first move donating the land to the city. The issues that have had to be worked out over the years had a lot to do with the State, then County getting roads aligned etc. Then it was financing. I was the one who posted that getting Mike Leto on the board this year would get the project rolling. https://www.facebook.com/Idaho-Falls...ref=ts&fref=ts

I'll write it again, I think it is no coincidence Ball Ventures is starting to complete Annexing, plating and other work on the east side of Snake River Parkway the same week Idaho Business Review publishes the article about the Events Center being built in 2017.

If I'm wrong, so be it. I'll apologize. But I will wait until fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 01:27 PM

84 posts, read 52,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoing View Post
Here is the site plan for the Springhill Suites. Notice they will have a driveway across the railroad tracks to the Courtyard Marriott. This crossing was part of an old agreement that existed with the land.

The housing development on the northeast corner of 5th West and 65th South is the next phase of Southpoint. At one time, School District 91 had property on the eastern portion of this land for a new high school. I'm not sure if that plan still exists.

Attachment 170330
I was incorrect, the driveway goes to the existing Residence Inn Marriott.

Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 PM

168 posts, read 174,204 times
We ( a group of walkers) were walking the green belt on the West side of the river between Broadway and Sunnyside today, and on lap two, we were halted by construction personnel who said they were blasting in the construction zone just south of the Marriot.
After a few minutes and a brief "ka-thump!", they let us continue.

Lots of work happening there, and plenty of dust for those of us on foot.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:29 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,266,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
We ( a group of walkers) were walking the green belt on the West side of the river between Broadway and Sunnyside today, and on lap two, we were halted by construction personnel who said they were blasting in the construction zone just south of the Marriot.
After a few minutes and a brief "ka-thump!", they let us continue.

Lots of work happening there, and plenty of dust for those of us on foot.
Hey, the dogs and I did the same path, only were not stopped by any blasting. Probably a good thing or I think I would have been forced to run by my older dog!

Old 06-16-2016, 09:42 AM

There is so much construction right now it can't be covered in one quick update.

East Idaho Credit Union appears to be making good progress on their addition.

The fire station has reached a new phase of rapid construction.

It looks like there might be some work going on at the St. Clair Townhomes behind Hallpark. That development is owned by a Montana developer. I mention that as we have several planned or current projects funded by out-of-state developers.

While the Springhill Suites is finally underway with Woodbury, that is NOT a Woodbury exclusive project. A Walker corporatio, as in Taylor's Landing Walkers are involved as well.

Sperry Van Ness has been busy! They've sold several properties and are starting it looks like six spec office buildings on the southeast corner of Sunnyside and Woodruff. About half of that property will still be available for custom buildings.

The building to be built east of Dr. Mark Freeman's interesting, new building on Sunnyside is a local Orthodontist building a new office.

Watch Crestwood. That's directly south of Channing. The physician who built the first building on Washington Pkwy is building a new office on Crestwood. Construction could start anytime.

Skidmore is building the Washington Federal Bank or whatever the correct name is. It seems to be taking a long time, IMO. That development is owned by WA state investors. The walls are going up on the buildings associated with that development. And in a move I've never seen before Skidmore is selling property between these buildings and the current businesses such as IF Dental Group.

Kneaders, wow, I don't understand how that Rigby builder can get it done when thought.....

Check out the area south of Kneaders. It looks like new flags separate than Kneaders are starting to go up. See what you think.

Finally, for now, watch the west side. Three -four projects should start in the next 1-3 months. That is not counting the Camping World expansion.

Old 06-17-2016, 10:53 PM

Default Kelsch Redevelopment -a Bit More

Oppenheimer is excited to be doing this project. Apparently, it will look like a smaller version of the Grove in Boise.
IFGUY, I know you weren't very happy with the one story Memorial & Broadway building. But key folks from the county and city walked the area with Oppenheimer. That first building can't be higher or they lose the view they want residents and visitors to see of downtown. It's important to remember that Steve Carr as a solo businessman is part of this group. He owns the building immediately east of Kelsch.

Conversely, I think RDA asked for the five stories in the second building so there can be three levels of condos or apartments. Oppenheimer and RDA have 120 days to work that and one other detail out. I think I posted there would be a Splash Pond between the two buildings. So that leaves one obvious thing, plus tons of things that will have to be moved by the city, but for most of us the remaining issue is parking. The design only has 27 spots. So they are adding one or possibly two parking levels underground

I think this will be a striking addition downtown. While I have no proof of this yet, I think Oppenheimer has a private project they also want to develop, probably after Kelsch is done.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:42 AM

434 posts, read 416,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Oppenheimer is excited to be doing this project. Apparently, it will look like a smaller version of the Grove in Boise.
IFGUY, I know you weren't very happy with the one story Memorial & Broadway building. But key folks from the county and city walked the area with Oppenheimer. That first building can't be higher or they lose the view they want residents and visitors to see of downtown. It's important to remember that Steve Carr as a solo businessman is part of this group. He owns the building immediately east of Kelsch.

Conversely, I think RDA asked for the five stories in the second building so there can be three levels of condos or apartments. Oppenheimer and RDA have 120 days to work that and one other detail out. I think I posted there would be a Splash Pond between the two buildings. So that leaves one obvious thing, plus tons of things that will have to be moved by the city, but for most of us the remaining issue is parking. The design only has 27 spots. So they are adding one or possibly two parking levels underground

I think this will be a striking addition downtown. While I have no proof of this yet, I think Oppenheimer has a private project they also want to develop, probably after Kelsch is done.

I am not a huge fan of the single story retail strip either. As it is now, you can't see a whole lot of downtown from there anyway. But overall, I'm pretty happy with the project. I like the fountain & public space. Of 5 floors, 2 with commercial/office/restaurant, the second building would be a great addition to downtown.

This reminds me of several years back, there was an idea of a footbridge across the river. Anyone know what happened to that plan?

Old 06-21-2016, 03:05 PM

434 posts, read 416,971 times
A couple of things; There is an old house on 17th immediately west of Natural Grocers. Watch that property. It was sold a ways back and has been vacant. Today there was a backhoe in front. I'm unclear whether they tear down the house. Often, windows & such are removed first. Only time will tell on this one.

And a negative. Hastings has gone bankrupt. Unless they can sell out in the next month, they will be closing. Around here, they were the last big movie renter. Holywood & Blockbuster wend down a while ago. I don't suspect it will be long before the space fills back in. I've actually been surprised at how the commercial property has been selling more recently. Old buildings all around here, some being vacant for many years are being remodeled & seeing new life.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
A couple of things; There is an old house on 17th immediately west of Natural Grocers. Watch that property. It was sold a ways back and has been vacant. Today there was a backhoe in front. I'm unclear whether they tear down the house. Often, windows & such are removed first. Only time will tell on this one.

And a negative. Hastings has gone bankrupt. Unless they can sell out in the next month, they will be closing. Around here, they were the last big movie renter. Holywood & Blockbuster wend down a while ago. I don't suspect it will be long before the space fills back in. I've actually been surprised at how the commercial property has been selling more recently. Old buildings all around here, some being vacant for many years are being remodeled & seeing new life.
Is that the local Hastings only or all of them? How many sq. ft. is their current building in round numbers? Thanks

Old 06-21-2016, 06:01 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
It is all of them, however they will attempt to sell assets, so all bets are off. These kind of sell-offs are rarely successful in the long run. Too bad, Hastings is kind of cool store with not only videos, but records, dvds, video games, and books. They exist in a number of States, including several locations in Boise, also in Spokane, WA and one left in Tri-Cities, WA. I have bought many used DVD movies there as well as renting from them. I also like their book section.

Hastings files bankruptcy | The Daily Courier | Prescott, Az
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls