Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2016, 02:49 PM

385 posts, read 522,354 times

Advertisements

Proposal #1 is my choice. Heck, I'd consider selling my house and moving there if that plan went through.

I love the outdoor space -- is there anything better than drinking a cold beer out on a rooftop patio? And I like the idea of a grocery store or a mix of restaurant and retail space at the ground level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 PM

434 posts, read 412,568 times
I too like proposal 1 above the others. In part because of the locality behind the plans. It's almost seemed as if the Wyndmere Group lacked interest in the project all together.

In other news, it appears dirt will be moving very soon on the property east of Kohls. Fishers Tech had a sign up on the more northern portion but the part that fronts Sunnyside is where the activity is.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:47 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
I like different elements of proposals 1 and 3. The 2nd proposal almost seemed to be more of a critique!

Old 08-03-2016, 01:02 PM

Looks like we're getting a Culver's over in TC. Nothing as far as construction was mentioned so I'm guessing they will occupy an existing building. I've never eaten there but I was just thinking about Culver's the other day.

Also there are becoming too many new housing developments to even count. I hope this spurs larger scaled developments around the city.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:18 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,371,576 times
I like the Thomas Corporation proposal the best too. I believe that is #1 with how Paul M. listed them. It is the third proposal on the I.F. RDA page.

I am going to withhold my reasons of why for two weeks as I don't want to influence anyone here. I hope others will post their favorite choice too.

Everyone of us can email Brad Cramer with our comments. None of us who have posted to this point live in Idaho Falls. But some of us could and we certainly buy goods and services in the city. RDA wants REGIONAL comments, so I will be sending mine to Brad Cramer. The comments really do matter. As someone who has watched this idea progress starting with site selection, I know how much RDA wants our comments too. They want area residents to feel the money redevelopment invests has addressed community needs and wishes, but mostly that residents feel good about their selection of plans.

I can tell you that RDA has already had people call about living at the Bonneville and Kelsch. The Bonneville must contain some lower income housing for the developer to qualify for a large sum of $. That has always been part of the plan. But other apartments will be regular to maybe high end for a top floor apartment.

The redevelopment of downtown will start to look very different in even 18 months. I personally would prefer to see a grocery store occupy the old D.I. building and have a coffee shop, a yogurt/ice cream shop and other commercial on the first floor. If a grocery store updated D.I, along with the new Fire Station and the Bonneville, look at the walking distance. They would all be close and start to change that area of downtown. That will bring other investors in to build new projects.

----------------------------------------------

I'll agree with others about Widmeyer Development. The truth is they didn't even fully complete the first application. RDA bent over backwards to give them every chance possible to compete it. Appaarently, the company CEO Is also Couer d'Alene's current mayor., His company builds most buildings in Cd'A. & has done redevelopment there. Finally, Widemeyer bought one of the bigger apartment complexes in Idaho Falls in the fourth quarter of 2015. I won't be surprised to see the company invest more locally, but currently they seem to do better with developed property or starting with empty space in Bonneville County.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:13 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,371,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Looks like we're getting a Culver's over in TC. Nothing as far as construction was mentioned so I'm guessing they will occupy an existing building. I've never eaten there but I was just thinking about Culver's the other day.

Also there are becoming too many new housing developments to even count. I hope this spurs larger scaled developments around the city.
Amen to all the developments. I saw the Culver's too. Famous for Custard. Usually, it has a drive through and will be on Pancheri. IDK if North West Nazareth occupies that entire bldg. or not. It's suppose to be in Taylor's Crossing. Or they could build a building in TC.

Walmart is adding a gas station there so we may see a burst of construction in TC, Eagle Ridge and SRL. Glad to see this in that part of town and not another Hitt Rd. project.

I'm aware of an Eagle Ridge project, but it's a little too early to write more.

Does anyone ever think we are not seeing some things as quickly as normal since construction is swamped?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:11 PM

118 posts, read 92,684 times
Culver's is really good...they are similar to Arctic Circle but a higher quality product...and they are out of Wisconsin so they offer cheese curds as a side instead of fries!

Old 08-04-2016, 11:49 AM

5,322 posts, read 18,198,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1834 View Post
Culver's is really good...they are similar to Arctic Circle but a higher quality product...and they are out of Wisconsin so they offer cheese curds as a side instead of fries!
Looks like another spot I'm going to have to ignore The only items low enough in calories and carbs are HIGH in sodium

Old 08-04-2016, 10:28 PM

So I haven't yet seen any mention here of the charter school set to move into the O.E. Bell building. I think it could potentially mean more growth in the downtown area. The school currently has around 300 students. I think they said this could allow for up to 700 or so. That is quite a bit of added traffic with parents driving to and from.
Does anyone here have a rough guess as to how much of that building is currently occupied? There are many businesses with offices there (or so the signs say). I've seen reports that most or all of them would have to relocate. Possibly to other downtown offices, creating need for more. Combined with the downtown redevelopment projects, I think it won't be long at all until downtown is thriving.
I couldn't agree more that it is a fantastic location for such a school being near so many cultural attractions. If my own circumstances were different I would love to put my own children in school there. I suspect the waiting list to get in is already lengthy and is going to grow longer.

It's food for thought.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:34 AM

385 posts, read 522,354 times
In the drive thru at Jamba Juice (Utah Ave location) yesterday and saw a lot of activity going on in the empty space beside H&R Block. Anybody have info on any new tenants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls