Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2016, 12:53 PM

6,328 posts, read 7,673,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
...Meanwhile, it will be good to get the extra dollars for the Event Center, but to me shows the need for the Event Center in Idaho Falls even more. Tourists attend events.
Wouldn't it be cool to have an equivalent Buffalo Bill Historical Center like Cody has? Possibly highlighting mining, logging/forestry, farming, fishing, etc.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Last edited by volosong; 09-05-2016 at 01:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:09 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,371,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to have an equivalent Buffalo Bill Historical Center like Cody has? Possibly highlighting mining, logging/forestry, farming, fishing, etc.

volosong,

The Events Center will have a minor league hockey team, concerts, trade shows and more. Construction will start in 2017.

We aren't Cody, WY. We have some shared history but some is very different. We have a great local museum that has local collections. It's the Museum of Idaho Museum of Idaho – Welcome to The Museum of Idaho. Check it out.

The Museum of Idaho is scheduled to break ground in 2017 as well for a $3 million expansion. We have some great art museums and other specialty museums in the area. The Arts are alive in Idaho Falls!! We need more covered ice in winter for our high school teams and community teenage team. Plus other programs and entertainment need the enclosed space.

It's always good to have you post in this forum

Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 PM

What does everything think about the tourist numbers, dollars spent and hotel needs I posted on the last page?

Old 09-05-2016, 10:52 PM

434 posts, read 412,568 times
Hotel costs have been driven way up because of the added tourism. I don't think it's a new thing for economy motels to be charging over $80 per night. It's supply and demand. A friend of mine is in the area for work and motel 6 is charging that! Most locations in other cities don't go over $50. His Co-workers opted to rent an apartment for the duration of the project. The shortage in the housing / rental market is a whole other topic. But at this pace the events center could be paid for sooner than later.

This summer a new feasibility study (I know that isn't the correct terminology but it's not coming to my head) was done. The initial one done 5+ years ago was done by a firm no longer in existence. I kind of wonder if they try to enlarge the events center a little based on the new study's results? MSR, I know you said it was actually reduced in size from its original plans. Just curious as to where you found that?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Hotel costs have been driven way up because of the added tourism. I don't think it's a new thing for economy motels to be charging over $80 per night. It's supply and demand. A friend of mine is in the area for work and motel 6 is charging that! Most locations in other cities don't go over $50. His Co-workers opted to rent an apartment for the duration of the project. The shortage in the housing / rental market is a whole other topic. But at this pace the events center could be paid for sooner than later.

This summer a new feasibility study (I know that isn't the correct terminology but it's not coming to my head) was done. The initial one done 5+ years ago was done by a firm no longer in existence. I kind of wonder if they try to enlarge the events center a little based on the new study's results? MSR, I know you said it was actually reduced in size from its original plans. Just curious as to where you found that?
I got it from their website. Until last year it was a 5,000 seat arena. In the announcement that Bateman Hall had been selected it was printed as 4,000 seats. That's a 20% decrease in seats. The 4,000 design are arena and 6,000 use part of the floor for concerts. The news releases will show the change in number. I'm not saying it was ever publicly discussed because it wasn't, as far as I know. The Facebook version might be easier to review the docs. and press releases.

IFAD | Idaho Falls Auditorium District

The Auditorium District actually won't get much of that money. But maybe the cost to build the Events Center might be a debt of less than $30 million. We are saying the same thing. The continued high tourism and profits from events etc. will help pay the Events Center off earlier. I'd love to see the need to expand it. I still like the buy back plan best. We need this facility!

As for your friends in an apartment, I'm not surprised. I wrote about the four guys who bought a double wide mobile home to live in while they worked in a tiny to own that grew to 4,000 and couldn't accommodate all the construction workers. They sold it for a profit as there still wasn't enough housing there. I wrote in this thread earlier that the construction workers would have to think out of the box. Those who rented an apartment sound wise to me

Old 09-17-2016, 04:58 PM

There is a lot to write but just a couple of Updates and then more about The Bonneville Hotel. Perhaps I should separate them.

In residential construction we are seeing progress on the projects many of us have watched for many months. Have you driven by the Falls Apts. in SRL? Those that are finished are filling fast. I almost wonder if Karthcner will add two or more buildings next year.

Theotherdude is so right about activity east of Snake River Landing close to where the Events Center will be built. Somehow I didn't realize it was so far east. This easily could be the Townhomes or Condos discussed for the area. There is ample room for commercial businesses to buffer noise from the Events Center.

The Townhomes at St. Clair are progressing well. It's sometimes hard to remember only half of that land was sold for this project. It's always positive to see roofs being built on top of the structures!

The Townhomes on Lincoln Dr. have started. They are one of the smaller developments.

And a MT builder has gotten ~ 40 building permits on roads that currently don't exist. Forty Townhomes isn't enough for the 172 going in at Bellin and Pancheri. Forty would only be 10 buildings. It is possible Linden, the Archdiocese of Boise, might build those Townhomes in groups. However, that isn't the impression I got. Maybe these are the new group near Saturn or more likely the Westwood ones behind Westwood II. Let's hear it for Skyline, we said lots of projects!!

It's good to see above ground construction at the new Springhill Suites.

Thanks to Theotherdude for not leaking a project until I could find out who owns the project. It matters given what other property might have become available. There is a new ICE Business being built on N. Boulevard. It's in the general area of INL, Northwest Cosmetics and others. It is named Marteek Ice. Think of how much ice Idaho Falls supplies to Jackson, YNP etc. I'm surprised it has taken this long for another business to build a facility.

That is probably it for now. I hope others will add their observations about the progress of projects.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM

Default Redevelopment

At the recent Idaho Falls Redevelopment Agency (IFRA) a few interesting things happened. Mr. Oppenheimer from Boise needs to learn to talk in the mike!! Had some not been repeated to him, I'd have no idea what he was even addressing regarding Kelsch.
Kelsch may easily require two stories of underground parking. That becomes a bit problematic for IFRA as the owners of the private condos will have private parking on the second level. The first underground level will be for the public to shopping, dining etc. I don't have a clue how come Oppenheimer will or won't pay for this. So mostly it's an FYI.

I do think the design will stay as designed. I've seen sketches that I somehow can't transfer here. If anyone else can, please do.

I think the engineers, Oppenheimer and others really didn't want to have two stories underground and more than three above in that small of an area. But Oppenheimer could easily build a nice development close by to further highlight their work.

In general think of the almost square tops used for the Hampton on Lindsay. Kelsch is designed similarly.

Now the Bonneville. I don't know why the IFRA is now concerned about The Housing Company, I was at the last meeting. It appears The Housing Company hasn't signed the Exclusive Period agreement or something similar. The Council was very guarded in what they would or wouldn't discuss. Perhaps THC didn't like the redesigns the Council wanted.

What I do know is this: The Council discussed what they would do if THC missed the deadline for the Feb, 2017 awards. Say what? THC told them they could get it done, which was one of their strongest points. There was always the chance it wouldn't be funded and nothing would happen until the Sept. submissions a year away.

The IFRA set a date that if THC didn't get the Feb. submission in on time, or they didn't win grants based on their 100% record, that they would talk to Thomas Development about doing the project using the bonding etc. This story isn't fully written yet. I don't know more than that. We'll see if more comes out in the next month.

Meanwhile, IFRA, has had to put on hold three projects, including an Ammon business that wants back in Idaho Falls and a new business, both to be in Eagle Ridge. Without knowing the cost of the Bonneville they can't commit to other companies. Ammon could see an exit of some businesses.

There is a bit more but I don't have time now. Kelsch & The Bonneville were the most important, from my perspective. Please feel free to clarify what I've written or add to it.

Old 09-17-2016, 10:19 PM

434 posts, read 412,568 times
MSR, when you say eagle ridge do you mean just south of Utah walmart? I doubt those projects happen. If the redevelopment team is going to help over there, the project would have to be larger. I could be wrong so we'll see what happens in coming months. There is a lot of rock removal, so much that it would outweigh the benefits that come from the small buildings. As much as I would love to see that area develop, I would say dissapointments turn into appointments for better things. Just look at that old church on the numbered streets. A medical clinic is a way better fit than a culinary academy

Old 09-17-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
MSR, when you say eagle ridge do you mean just south of Utah walmart? I doubt those projects happen. If the redevelopment team is going to help over there, the project would have to be larger. I could be wrong so we'll see what happens in coming months. There is a lot of rock removal, so much that it would outweigh the benefits that come from the small buildings. As much as I would love to see that area develop, I would say dissapointments turn into appointments for better things. Just look at that old church on the numbered streets. A medical clinic is a way better fit than a culinary academy
Thanks for venturing to the INL thread to see my posts. Volosong will move them, I just don't know how much he logs in on weekends.

Yes, that is exactly where I mean. And yes, the reason the businesses went to IFRA is the cost of blasting the rock. It is extremely expensive. What honestly bothers me about the two businesses going to the IFRA, is one can afford to pay the extra cost. The second business is new to the area. Business #2 won't go in without business #1. And business #1 isn't going to pay for more than their rock removal. Business #1 is in Ammon and wants back in Idaho Falls. Heck, they could take the remaining 1/2 of the space at Railroad crossing and move. Maybe they will, but ultimately they wanted their own building and own design.

People need to think of creative uses for that area. Why not make a Crater's of the Moon miniature golf course or similar? The problem is, in some places it is 6-8 inches. In other areas the rock is seven feet. There have to be other options!

Did you read about the Bonneville? What do you think?

Last edited by volosong; 09-18-2016 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: restored post to orig, comments made in subsequent post

Old 09-18-2016, 10:03 AM

6,328 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Thanks for venturing to the INL thread to see my posts. Volosong will move them, I just don't know how much he logs in on weekends...
Move request fulfilled.

I check in several times over the weekend, unless something 'special' is going on. Today, Jane and I went up to the Ancient Bristlecone Forest in the White Mountains. Mightily impressed. But tough hiking at 10,000 feet elevation. Definitely worth a return visit.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls