U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 08:57 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,343,512 times

Advertisements

Good analysis. The old KIDK building is much larger than what would be needed for a sign company. What else will they be doing there? It is a good question to ask. I have no inside information, but this IF sign company could very well be part of a much larger organization. I'll leave it at that.

But before I leave it at that, I will mention that some organizations in IF are building new facilities as we speak. Perhaps that is why I believe this is a short-term lease.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 09:48 PM

3 posts, read 6,443 times
I live in CA but read this forum sometimes. I want to say, and hopefully no one will be offended, that I find it incredible that so many of you actually WANT IF to double/triple in size! Be careful what you wish for ... It really is horrible to live in a large city. And I'm curious ... Why not just try to move to a big city if that's what you want? Do most people in IF really not care abt what's coming to their nice town? Honest, not being provocative ... Thanks ...

Old 07-04-2013, 10:00 PM

I understand your point Emigh. But you have to understand, that except for Boise, most towns in Idaho have been considered backwater. I think what we are seeing now is an attempt to bring some of Idaho's mid-size towns up to a position where they can compete atleast with retail, and make them a place where people want to live. I don't think it is trying to "Califonicate" the area, as just make them competitive with larger cities. I believe most Idahoans understand that the goal is not to re-create CA here, but atleast make it attractive enough to gain enough residents to maintain a strong economy.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 6,443 times
Thanks, pw72 ... I appreciate it. I have a child in Driggs, and so I kind of know what has happened there ... people w/ money from other states came to visit, fell in love with what they saw, moved there, and then they immediately set out to change what it was they originally loved, not to mention what happened to housing costs. So many people seem to want CA w/prettier scenery ... and "californicate" is a more apt description than you realize . I probably have this viewpoint because I was born, raised, and still live here ... but I don't see anything wrong w/being thought of as "backwater" .... sounds good to me! I have lived in another state in a small town, and it was great! But you have to go where the jobs are ... Would love to here some other's thoughts on this ... Sorry if
I end up hi-jacking the thread ... Thanks again

Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 PM

385 posts, read 433,959 times
a doubling or tripling wouldn't happen overnight. if it were to happen, it would take many decades. I don't think anyone necessarily wants rapid, dramatic growth -- rather a steady, gradual approach at putting I.F. on the map. With growth comes credibility

you do realize that even if I.F. were to magically double in size immediately, it still wouldn't rank in the top-230 cities nationally in population.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:42 AM

8,440 posts, read 11,811,097 times
Maybe I should let IF Guy answer as he started this thread. Given that he and I have been friends and posted about growth and development in at least two other sites, I know for both of us part of the growth interest came from what businesses, industries and very real possibilities of developing Eastern Idaho as an energy corridor especially when AREVA announced the multi-billion $ plant to work in tandem with SOME of INL'a missions.

As Emigh rightly points out, people go where there are jobs. Lots of former East Idaho residents would like to move back if jobs, for which they trained, were available.

One of INL'a missions is Internet Security. A lot of spin offs have and could arise from that work and different missions the lab has. Being the lead energy lab in the U. S. is a big deal. Responsible and complimentary growth around the lab helps give more economic security to the area. DC is always changing their minds about what INL will or won't do. Companies like International Isotopes, Northwind ( now owned by a larger company) also help stabilize INL downsizing when a ready workforce can work for another local company. Conversely, when INL is too overwhelmed with some projects they can contract with local companies.

Just today, Hoku, in Pocatello which had been a planned anchor for new business/ industry in Pocatello announced their bankruptcy.

After AREVA made their announcement and the Walker Brothers asked residents what they wanted in Taylor's Crossing, a lot more people started thinking of what they would like in Bonneville County. It is a fact a larger population make certain businesses and services viable. I don't know that anyone really wants Idaho Falls Proper to have more than 100K residents. I think more airline service is something everyone agrees a larger population can support. Bonneville County is already over 100 K residents. It's greAt to be able to get cough syrup at 3.00 am instead of having to wait until a store's morning opening.

And a slightly larger population will keep the events center full as well as other venues in the County. I look forward to the first expansion of the events center.

Finally, the thread's other intent was to discuss higher education. I predicted years ago the privates Universities and Colleges are opening extensions in Idaho Falls because EITC was never allowed to develop into more, with a few exceptions. And with the exception of CAES, the state has consistently said no to increasing the size of I S U - I F and U of I - IF.

We have a lot of developers in the area who work with each other and want the 10, 20 year plan. I don't think we've hardly mentioned it here but two different belt routes have already been drawn for I. F.'s expected growth and transportation needs.

Essentially, those of us who post on this thread want to make sure your little guy in Teton County can gets most of what he needs closer to home while enjoying the benefits of an a MSA/SMA of under 500k, as well as the other children in Eastern ID.

PW72 and I have lived in much larger cities. I don't recall if others have disclosed that info or not.

The fact you read this thread sometimes says we're doing something right. And you didn't high jack it, reading the views is always helpful.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-05-2013 at 03:12 AM..

Old 07-05-2013, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Good analysis. The old KIDK building is much larger than what would be needed for a sign company. What else will they be doing there? It is a good question to ask. I have no inside information, but this IF sign company could very well be part of a much larger organization. I'll leave it at that.

But before I leave it at that, I will mention that some organizations in IF are building new facilities as we speak. Perhaps that is why I believe this is a short-term lease.
Well please share when you can. Award- winning journalists like Kris Mulgate and others live/ work. New media groups for filming the Tetons/ Yellowstone might be forming. It will be interesting to watch.

I do hear you about others bldg facilities. If it was that group, what if any, would be their connection to I F Signs? Maybe it's not a short-term lease, rather just providing Cover so there isn't as much interest in the bldg. . I guess we'll see how many signs they put up.

MSR

Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 PM

385 posts, read 433,959 times
Curious if you could provide insight on the events center. Is there a realistic time table? Are we talking 1-2 years from now or 3-5 years?

The more I read about it, the more excited I get

Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM

There is somewhat a cloud of mystery about the events center, especially since Mr. Vandersloot plans one at his new site at exit 113. (Let me redact that and say, a possible events center with Vanderloot's property could impact plans for the SNR project). There is a lot about all this that is up in the air and is not being made public. I suppose someone could go into city hall and ask for the records, but I don't have the energy for that, frankly. Two events centers within 3 miles apart would be a terrible miscalculation.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
There is somewhat a cloud of mystery about the events center, especially since Mr. Vandersloot plans one at his new site at exit 113. (Let me redact that and say, a possible events center with Vanderloot's property could impact plans for the SNR project). There is a lot about all this that is up in the air and is not being made public. I suppose someone could go into city hall and ask for the records, but I don't have the energy for that, frankly. Two events centers within 3 miles apart would be a terrible miscalculation.
Thanks pw72. When I read about all the Melaleuca campus would have, I wondered about the sizable of some of the blogs. What makes that plot thicken is the developers of SRL and Melaleuca were partners in the first version of Melaleuca, if I remember correctly. I think the name of that first company. I know in the second attempt Frank Vandersloot went ahead alone.

I hope the logistics can be worked out. There's also the fact the I F Events Center is in the City; Melaleuca's new complex is in 8B County. I also hope the two men who employee so many residents and always give back can remain friends.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or