Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 08:01 AM

385 posts, read 526,597 times

Advertisements

Costco typically hires between 150-200 employees. This is a great thing for our city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
I don't see anything on the LocalNews8 website on this, which might not mean much. Perhaps this news was not supposed to be released quite yet.

If true, I would guess Costco would be located on the northside of Sunnyside, as construction has already begun on the south side with Smith Chevy/Honda, and I don't believe there is enough land to put in a Costco between that project and the new park. Tomorrow I will drive thru and see if there are any new "sold" signs up!

I really thought the Sunnyside land east of Hitt would be the logical location. But apparently I was wrong.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:58 AM

I stand corrected, there is plenty of space for a Costco on both sides of Sunnyside before the park.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:24 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I stand corrected, there is plenty of space for a Costco on both sides of Sunnyside before the park.
I missed any news announcement about Costco. Either way, it's just a matter of time and potentially things other businesses need done first.

Good to know there is ample room by the exit.

The fight will be "but what about Ammon."

MSR

Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
Costco typically hires between 150-200 employees. This is a great thing for our city!
Tmp4,

What I like most about your post is your "our city." I'm glad if you're feeling more at home now.

Looking forward to your future contributions.

MSR

Old 08-18-2013, 01:28 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I wonder if Idaho Falls will ever get an Ikea store. They're all over, but I never heard of them until I spent some time in Portland. High design home stuff at cheap prices. My son bought a dishwasher there at a very good price.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:39 PM

385 posts, read 526,597 times
Ikea is extremely picky about where they set up shop. Since there's one 3 hours south (Draper, UT), I doubt they'd open one here -- although it would be great. I'm not sure if it's confirmed by Ikea or not, but reportedly they require a market of at least 2 million residents within a 50 mile radius of each store.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 PM

Ikea isn't in Boise for that very reason. Unless they change their business model, don't expect Ikea in Idaho anytime soon.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
Ikea is extremely picky about where they set up shop. Since there's one 3 hours south (Draper, UT), I doubt they'd open one here -- although it would be great. I'm not sure if it's confirmed by Ikea or not, but reportedly they require a market of at least 2 million residents within a 50 mile radius of each store.
So what would be a smaller version of Ikea?
Maybe that would be a business who would want to locate in Idsho Falls?

I don't know if there are any. Maybe a business ides for someone.

One reason I said I didn't agree with S &P about 1B being more "stable" than 8B, is the Natural Food store under construction the CO chain is entering ID in Boise and Idaho Falls. Demographic details mean specific specific information to national chains.

MSR

Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
So what would be a smaller version of Ikea?
Maybe that would be a business who would want to locate in Idsho Falls?

I don't know if there are any. Maybe a business ides for someone.

One reason I said I didn't agree with S &P about 1B being more "stable" than 8B, is the Natural Food store under construction the CO chain is entering ID in Boise and Idaho Falls. Demographic details mean specific specific information to national chains.

MSR
Good question. Ikea has a very Swedish modern element in all their brands that may be more appealing to cosmopolitan city dwellers than heartland folks. I don't see much of the lean clean and bright interior stuff Ikea features in any of our furniture stores here; everything, including the goods in the big chain stores, is still dark, very puffy, and large. Trying to find even new Mission style furniture in Idaho Falls is next to impossible, and we completely missed most of the Mission revival that happened in the late 90's.

Salt Lake City is no longer a remote western town. It's an international hub city these days, with a lot of money and a lot of upscale aspirations. It's service area must be at least 2 million people, so I'm sure it was a natural for the Ikea products.

A similar store could be done on a smaller scale, I think; Ikea's success comes from Chinese manufacturing, just like all the others, but to my mind, it's the Apple of interior design and products. Opening a competitor would really depend on a really good design staff as much as good company management.

Another big factor for a competitor is how much downsizing takes hold. Smaller houses suit the modernity much better than the McMansions, which have so much wasted space they look empty unless the furniture is big and imposing.

The far west has always been slow to change. The overstuffed, over-busy, over-detailed Victorian style of homes and furnishings lasted far longer out here than the rest of the country.

I once discussed this with a folklorist; he said the westerners loved that look due to the vastness and barrenness of the old west. The Victorian excess and business was comforting because it felt snug and gave the eye some complicated visual interest that didn't exist in nature.
He mentioned the lingering western fondness for loud colors, especially red. We still don't see as much bright color everywhere as city folks do elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls