Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 08:53 AM

434 posts, read 416,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFGuy View Post
Looks like the Navy wants to build a $1.6 billion nuclear fuel facility at the site. I haven't read too much yet but it seems to be a state of the art facility.
Do you know where at the site? DOE? Or DOD? I know of an upcoming project at department of defense but i believe its quite larger than 1.6. It is scheduled to start in 2017. I dont know anything about who is doing the project. It does however make sense, Navy at the DOD. I know both DOD and DOE have upcoming projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 AM

432 posts, read 533,379 times
It's a DOE and Navy joint venture. Twenty years ago the Navy had a huge presence at the site bit after the departure, jobs at the site were nearly cut in half to where they are today. It could be quite possible that after the increase of interest from companies such as Areva, NuScale and Fluor and the federal government, INL may get back to those numbers.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
It's a DOE and Navy joint venture. Twenty years ago the Navy had a huge presence at the site bit after the departure, jobs at the site were nearly cut in half to where they are today. It could be quite possible that after the increase of interest from companies such as Areva, NuScale and Fluor and the federal government, INL may get back to those numbers.
I read the articles and I believe this is different from the DOD project i learned about. Its price tag is closer to 7 billion. I wasnt posting info here until a few days ago when i saw mention of the project in a national newsletter.

I think with what we already know, employment at the site will see new heights from what it was even in the 90's ( correct me if im wrong but i thought thats when employment numbers were at its peak)

Old 07-18-2015, 12:06 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
I realize there is a lot of excitement about possible projects at INL or other new developments to our area. I'd request once someone announces in this thread the possibility of an INL project to please cross reference the post and expand information in the Idaho Nuclear Laboratory thread. There are many reasons to separate POTENTIAL DOE/ military work from other Developments in this thread.

The first being for others who want to learn more. They will look under INL and not Development. Secondly, an awarded contract, IF AWARDED, is not the same as a Developer or Builder funding a new development. Developments should be open to all to buy products and services from businesses in that Development. Nuclear is one type of work done at INL. It's true, INL workers often have the higher salaries to be able to decide whether they travel elsewhere to spend their disposable income or whether they spend it in new developments built locally.

Third, INL is located in Butte County. We always have to clarify that when annual salaries make Idaho Falls look low.

Finally, while I really cannot say much yet, it is very important to separate INL projects, if approved, as being at INL. There is discussion of something that may be built as a new project in Bonneville County. Private companies, private lenders and private citizens are involved in that potential development. Several Nuclear - related projects could get very confusing if we don't maintain clean boundaries now.

I.F. Guy and Theotherdude, will you please either write new posts for INL or copy what you wrote here and post under the INL thread? There are things we all should discuss, but this isn't the right thread for INL discussions.

Meanwhile, if more comes from those talking about a private development, then it will be clear if something private is announced here. Thanks in advance

Old 07-19-2015, 05:03 PM

There is a great article in the Post Register about Matt Morgan. Many of us have admired his skill as a builder from afar. Now as he starts to develop property too, he has shared major life obstacles he has had to address. Railway Crossing and Jackson Hole Junction are not all he is developing. Matt and his wife are also opening a non-profit charity for teens with similar difficulties.

I, for one, hope I can volunteer at Building Hope. I have some unique training and work experience that should make me a good fit. But, that depends on others that volunteer and the goals of the agency. Lots more volunteers will be needed and everyone here can do things I physically cannot.

It's nice to see developers care about people who are struggling.

Read the articles if you can. It is time we'll spent.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 PM

I am seeing construction sites popping up everywhere. Near 113 there is a pretty good size one. Being near a new packaging plant i would expect it to be a bit more on the industrial side but it does have frontage on 65th.

A couple of houses have been demolished/moved on sunnyside between woodruff and channing probaby to make way for more medical/professional offices.

Utility placement has begun at eagle ridge.

There is a small pad next to double down that has been cleared and has a modular trailer (used for a construction office). based on the size i am guessing a restaurant or a bank which is somewhat of an indication of further development on the adjacent properties. did the sunnyside crossroads project get a new breath of life? We did hear it mentioned (for the first time in years) by a city official when plans for jackson hole junction hit the news.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 PM

82 posts, read 97,408 times
I saw a hand lettered sign at the intersection of Broadway and River Parkway, announcing the upcoming opening of Uncle Benny's Pizza.
Looks to be legit, they filed as an assumed business name with the secretary of state. Address is 620 Broadway, where Quiznos was.
That's all I know for now, if I fall into any more info on this location, I'll post.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
I am seeing construction sites popping up everywhere. Near 113 there is a pretty good size one. Being near a new packaging plant i would expect it to be a bit more on the industrial side but it does have frontage on 65th.

A couple of houses have been demolished/moved on sunnyside between woodruff and channing probaby to make way for more medical/professional offices.

Utility placement has begun at eagle ridge.

There is a small pad next to double down that has been cleared and has a modular trailer (used for a construction office). based on the size i am guessing a restaurant or a bank which is somewhat of an indication of further development on the adjacent properties. did the sunnyside crossroads project get a new breath of life? We did hear it mentioned (for the first time in years) by a city official when plans for jackson hole junction hit the news.
I know, stuff is happening in many places. Still some rezoning and I think some additional annexation for some projects have to go through for I.F. and Ammon. Chris or anyone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the land for the Events Center, as well as Jackson Hole Junction has to be annexed into Idaho Falls.

On exit #113, is that on the south part of the road? I posted about dirt and digging there probably last month. It was just getting started. I don't know if we saw the same project or perhaps two different ones. What I saw was on the south side of the road. It looked good sized, but it was just starting.

There is a rezone that has to happen by Crestwood. That's south of Sunnyside where Sunnyside and Channing meet. Medical yes. Office? I think one is but I would almost bet on something else for part of that space. Think about this general principle, if EIRMC needs more parking, where do they get it? There's an EIRMC addition coming, but part will be a tower up.

If you look at some of the real estate guides, check W. Sunnyside on the west side of the on and off ramps. The property south of W. Sunnyside is still being call Sunnyside Crossroads. Technically, Double Downs is also Sunnyside Crossroads. I don't know if Outlet stores are still planned for that area or not. They would be a good fit, IMO, but absolutely, shopping is one thing people travel for, so one or two hotels will be by outlet malls.

A lot of machinery in SRL by where the new apartments will be built. Did you see the newest rendering for SRL, Theotherdude?

Nice work around Sunnyside and Exit #113. Read my next post. It will probably make you smile too.

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-21-2015 at 11:10 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I drove down Grandveiw today and noticed construction of what looked like another hangar. But its odd to me that it's on the edge of the runway, pretty cool to see that field being developed. Wonder how long until the homes in that area are needed for future airport business.
Hi I.F.Guy,

I decided to do what you did. You are partially correct. I don't know if there was a new street sign by the "hangar" or not when you drove by. It was there today. The street is named Flightline Dr. It wasn't on the maps a week ago. I agree there is a hangar - like steel building being built fairly close to where Flightline Dr. meets Grandview. I turned down the street. It's a dead end currently at the north end. But, there is a second building being built north toward the deadend.

In one sense, all buildings on airports are hangars. However, they don't all contain the same contents, meaning, some provide services far beyond just storing a single airplane or jet.

These are very large hangars. They are either to expand the services AERO MARK provides as an FOB and storage of private or commercial aircraft, or another competing FOB may be going to open. The permits were not to AERO MARK. Or, since there are two buildings being built, with land in between them (I couldn't see if a third one was staked off or if that land was just holding the big equipment), it might look different in a week or two. I want to make a phone call tomorrow. I have a hunch about one of the buildings, but the permit went to an individual with a common name, no business names. Just a hunch but let me see if I can learn more. My thinking is these would expand private flight services more.

The other very real possibility, is maybe terminals for smaller planes closer to the terminal will need to come down, so maybe much larger, shared hangars are being built closer to Grandview.

Pure speculation here, but maybe the airport is requesting the extra $2.3 million in the 2016-17 budget as they are getting a grant to expand many things at the passenger terminal and $2.3 million is what the city has to match. Something has caused the City Council to already meet two more times in closed sessions. They can be plenty secretive when they want!

What does everyone think?

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-21-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I know, stuff is happening in many places. Still some rezoning and I think some additional annexation for some projects have to go through for I.F. and AmIon. Chris or anyone can correct me if I'm wrong about this, but the land for the Eve. ntparkwayenter, as well as Jackson Hole Junction has to be annexed into Idaho Falls.

On exit #113, is that on the south part of the road? I posted about dirt and digging there probably last month. It was just getting started. I don't know if we saw the same project or perhaps two different ones. What I saw was on the south side of the road. It looked good sized, but it was just starting.

There is a rezone that has to happen by Crestwood. That's south of Sunnyside where Sunnyside and Channing meet. Medical yes. Office? I think one is but I would almost bet on something else for part of that space. Think about this general principle, if EIRMC needs more parking, where do they get it? There's an EIRMC addition coming, but part will be a tower up.

If you look at some of the real estate guides, check W. Sunnyside on the west side of the on and off ramps. The property south of W. Sunnyside is still being call Sunnyside Crossroads. Technically, Double Downs is also Sunnyside Crossroads. I don't know if Outlet stores are still planned for that area or not. They would be a good fit, IMO, but absolutely, shopping is one thing people travel for, so one or two hotels will be by outlet malls.

A lot of machinery in SRL by where the new apartments will be built. Did you see the newest rendering for SRL, Theotherdude?

Nice work around Sunnyside and Exit #113. Read my next post. It will probably make you smile too.
No this is on the north side of the 65th. Someone has been dumping dirt in what was probably a temporary pit right across the road (which tells me they are trying to sell the property). The site I am referring to is just south of the Watkins warehouse and the new ipak facility. Work just started in the last week or so.

I did see the newest rendering of SRL. Im not so sure what the color coding means, but where we see the equipment on the land, directly across from the houses, the master plan looks like it shows more limited commercial for that location and the residential further off snake river parkway more directly south of Curtis Wright.

I have thought about that land on sunnyside being designated for a hospital expansion. I have no idea what EIRMCs current space availibility is but i thought they had room to expand parking. Also you mention an expansion towering up, is that on top of existing structures? Dont you think a parking structure would be better than a parking lot requiring visitors a long walk and crossing sunnyside road on foot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls