U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 12,342,486 times
Reputation: 1576

Advertisements

.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 12,342,486 times
Reputation: 1576
I think we will see a Costco announcement by July 1st. Just a hunch.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2013, 10:24 PM
 
385 posts, read 433,763 times
Reputation: 136
selfishly, I hope it's not in Ammon. I enjoy the sparse traffic!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:06 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,809,549 times
Reputation: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I think we will see a Costco announcement by July 1st. Just a hunch.
That would be nice.

MSR
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,809,549 times
Reputation: 6232
Yesterday I was driving some in SRL. I guess I really missed the boat about the homes in SRL. Garbett homes shows some pics on their site. I didn't think much about them given that I kept hearing these would be like the homes in Daybreak in UT (extreme southwestern Salt Lake County).

I'm sure the homes are nice but they just were not what I had expected having seen Daybreak. Then again, I might need to check Daybreak to see who all built homes in that area.

Have any of you been in these homes and what are your thoughts? They seem fairly small. I somehow thought they would be larger.

Thanks,

MSR
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM
 
3,970 posts, read 12,342,486 times
Reputation: 1576
MSR, always appreciate your positive comments. SNR is a work in progress, no doubt. I'm not sure what to make of these model homes. Yes, they are smallish, but attractive inside and out. Perhaps they were trying to get the lower-end buyers in first. Not sure that is a great strategy, but it is what it is. When and if the development is fully built-out, I would expect more high end properties. However, the economy, even in IF is slugging along, and not sure there is a market for more expensive homes at this point. Which creates a dilemma for SNR...continue to build small homes, or wait for the more lucrative market to comeback, if it ever does. I predict slow and go for SNR, and we could be looking at not a 5-year plan, but a 10+ year plan. Bottom line, this development looked like a sure thing in 2007, but here we are six years later with little progress. The word "bubble" comes to mind.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2013, 11:37 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,809,549 times
Reputation: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
MSR, always appreciate your positive comments. SNR is a work in progress, no doubt. I'm not sure what to make of these model homes. Yes, they are smallish, but attractive inside and out. Perhaps they were trying to get the lower-end buyers in first. Not sure that is a great strategy, but it is what it is. When and if the development is fully built-out, I would expect more high end properties. However, the economy, even in IF is slugging along, and not sure there is a market for more expensive homes at this point. Which creates a dilemma for SNR...continue to build small homes, or wait for the more lucrative market to comeback, if it ever does. I predict slow and go for SNR, and we could be looking at not a 5-year plan, but a 10+ year plan. Bottom line, this development looked like a sure thing in 2007, but here we are six years later with little progress. The word "bubble" comes to mind.
pw72,

Thanks.

Yes, you're right about the bubble, but with an events center, more businesses going in SRL etc., I thought the higher end homes were going in first. I thought there would be lofts too, as those were originally planned.

These are nice homes, but they don't compete with those south of Sunnyside on 15th East or Holmes etc. Maybe these homes have to go in first to "buffer" from the events center and other and higher end homes and/or the hotels planned for the area.

MSR
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2013, 09:50 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,809,549 times
Reputation: 6232
Idaho Falls shows construction job increase | News - Home

Everything seems to be pointing to the return in construction we're all sensing..........

MSR
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2013, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
24,506 posts, read 16,503,729 times
Reputation: 18533
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
MSR, always appreciate your positive comments. SNR is a work in progress, no doubt. I'm not sure what to make of these model homes. Yes, they are smallish, but attractive inside and out. Perhaps they were trying to get the lower-end buyers in first. Not sure that is a great strategy, but it is what it is. When and if the development is fully built-out, I would expect more high end properties. However, the economy, even in IF is slugging along, and not sure there is a market for more expensive homes at this point. Which creates a dilemma for SNR...continue to build small homes, or wait for the more lucrative market to comeback, if it ever does. I predict slow and go for SNR, and we could be looking at not a 5-year plan, but a 10+ year plan. Bottom line, this development looked like a sure thing in 2007, but here we are six years later with little progress. The word "bubble" comes to mind.
There may be an entirely different sales strategy at work with these smaller homes. A lot of the baby boomers are now living in empty nests, and are looking for smaller homes that have modern amenities. The trend in new home construction has been aimed at larger houses here for a long time, and there is a relative lack of brand new smaller homes.

Singles, both young and old, and retired couples may be checking them out much more than young families. Nationally, the construction trend is turning away from the McMansions of 3,000 sq. ft. or more toward homes that are around 1500-2000 sq. ft., similar in size to homes made in the 50's and 60's.
These homes are bering constructed with higher quality materials and detail finish than in the past, which keeps their profitability (and price) at the same level as a larger home that has much cheaper construction and materials.

Part of this trend is building these homes within walking distance to a commercial development where folks can eat out, go shopping, etc. without needing a car. The development is close enough to downtown I.F. that it's perfect for this.

While I.F. hasn't become a part of this trend as yet, it may be possible that SRL is ahead of the local curve. A big part of the current trend is the homeowners; the folks who are buying these homes do not have plans of moving out a few years after they move in.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 PM
 
8,440 posts, read 11,809,549 times
Reputation: 6232
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There may be an entirely different sales strategy at work with these smaller homes. A lot of the baby boomers are now living in empty nests, and are looking for smaller homes that have modern amenities. The trend in new home construction has been aimed at larger houses here for a long time, and there is a relative lack of brand new smaller homes.

Singles, both young and old, and retired couples may be checking them out much more than young families. Nationally, the construction trend is turning away from the McMansions of 3,000 sq. ft. or more toward homes that are around 1500-2000 sq. ft., similar in size to homes made in the 50's and 60's.
These homes are bering constructed with higher quality materials and detail finish than in the past, which keeps their profitability (and price) at the same level as a larger home that has much cheaper construction and materials.

Part of this trend is building these homes within walking distance to a commercial development where folks can eat out, go shopping, etc. without needing a car. The development is close enough to downtown I.F. that it's perfect for this.

While I.F. hasn't become a part of this trend as yet, it may be possible that SRL is ahead of the local curve. A big part of the current trend is the homeowners; the folks who are buying these homes do not have plans of moving out a few years after they move in.
Good points BanjoMike and.not some I had neccesarily thought of
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top