Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 AM

75 posts, read 87,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

What other businesses do you think need to build in "Truckland." ?
If an economy hotel does go in, then something like a Denny's or Perkin's, or similar restaurants with a strong breakfast offering would excel there. I think that currently there's only fast food options down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 03:34 PM

385 posts, read 526,597 times
or perhaps a Cracker Barrel

Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 PM

434 posts, read 417,161 times
Another tire shop. Is frontier pies still open? They offer sit down dining. Waffle house would fit (im not sure if they expand anymore or not. The majority of waffle house restaurants I've seen were old but still operating). Currently there are only a few fast food spots out there and the area would absolutely support more. An economy hotel. Other than that, lots of warehousing or even a new fuel station

Old 03-05-2016, 09:52 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theotherdude View Post
Another tire shop. Is frontier pies still open? They offer sit down dining. Waffle house would fit (im not sure if they expand anymore or not. The majority of waffle house restaurants I've seen were old but still operating). Currently there are only a few fast food spots out there and the area would absolutely support more. An economy hotel. Other than that, lots of warehousing or even a new fuel station
No Frontier Pies closed that location when Andco sold Dad's truck stop to Flying J. It's not uncommon for Flying J to have Denny's inside them, so I was surprised they went with Subway. Perhaps there is a future plan for a stand alone Denny's and that's why they didn't make it part of their plan?

I don't see a Waffle House this far West, but who knows? Cracker Barrel, I would LOVE to see one here, but I think population projections are still too low to make it come to fruition

Old 03-05-2016, 11:02 PM

168 posts, read 174,349 times
I don't know. Missoula has a Cracker Barrel, and the latest census has their metropolitan area as 112k population.
But I think they'd be more of a Jackson Hole Junction possibility. They like to be on an interstate near multiple hotels.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:47 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.InAmmon View Post
I don't know. Missoula has a Cracker Barrel, and the latest census has their metropolitan area as 112k population.
But I think they'd be more of a Jackson Hole Junction possibility. They like to be on an interstate near multiple hotels.
Cracker Barrel wants to be by an Interstate. I don't think they would consider Jackson Hole. But Idaho Falls, CDA, Boise, Pocatello, and Twin would all be naturals for them. I ate at one in S. Utah a few years ago that was in one of the small towns down there, and it was doing very good business.
I've eaten at the one in Missoula, too. It seems natural that CDA could be the next city for them as it's so close to one that's already established.

For sure- within a decade, Idaho Falls will have a string of franchised restaurants stretching out along the Interstate from the southernmost exit to the Sunnyside exit. Or even further, possibly down to the Broadway exit. There's plenty of empty frontage road on either side. The big chains want to snag hungry travelers before they reach city center areas where the competition is stiffer.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:07 PM

168 posts, read 174,349 times
I didn't mean "in" Jackson, WY, but in the development at Sunnyside and I-15, that is named something like "Jackson Hole Junction", or some similar misleading moniker.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,269,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cracker Barrel wants to be by an Interstate. I don't think they would consider Jackson Hole. But Idaho Falls, CDA, Boise, Pocatello, and Twin would all be naturals for them. I ate at one in S. Utah a few years ago that was in one of the small towns down there, and it was doing very good business.
I've eaten at the one in Missoula, too. It seems natural that CDA could be the next city for them as it's so close to one that's already established.

For sure- within a decade, Idaho Falls will have a string of franchised restaurants stretching out along the Interstate from the southernmost exit to the Sunnyside exit. Or even further, possibly down to the Broadway exit. There's plenty of empty frontage road on either side. The big chains want to snag hungry travelers before they reach city center areas where the competition is stiffer.
Actually, Boise has a Cracker Barrel.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:33 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Actually, Boise has a Cracker Barrel.
And one is being built in Couer d'Alene. It's the first I've heard being built since the board had to essentially create a new business plan. There was a policy of not building new restaurants until the board got the issues resolved.

I agree with Ret. In Ammon that I think Jackson Hole Junction would be a more likely spot, especially with the events center being so close when it is built. However, I have to admit most of the Cracker Barrels I've been to try to build a bit away from the more expensive real estate. But, Jackson Hole Junction is a little different IMO, as it has the Jackson Hole exit and the Jackson name carries over for those traveling north on I-15 to Jackson Hole. It's closer to highway 20 as well and closer for Poky residents.

Part of what they initially wanted to do when Cracker Barrels first looked at Idaho Falls was draw from BYU-IDAHO' s students and faculty from the southeast and those traveling to Jackson Hole. Due to the airport location, where the roads come together, where INL buses travel and the fact there are 1,600 hotel beds currently within a mile from the Broadway and S. Utah intersection. Plus the Springhill Suites will add another 140 rooms when completed. I think JHJ or at least that exit makes (including the westside options) make good business sense for them. When the expansion is done the inner loop of traffic should travel right through that area, too, as Old Butte Road will connect to Sunnyside at that location.

There is cheaper property, I think it's a little cheaper, on the west side of I-15 too, if more land for truckers, cars with campers or boats etc. would be needed by Cracker Barrell. They don't need to be in a development as they are a destination drive for many. I think extra land for all the big traffic would be easier on the westside. Where Double Down was is an area that could be a bit cheaper for companies use to drawing locals who like the chain and I-15 traffic etc. A little closer for Melalueca employees too.

What I do know is we all can contact Cracker Barrel often and tell them we want one here . And time for more emails to Trader Joe's .

While I have no specific details yet, I do know the Idaho Falls Redevelopment Agency has been pleasantly surprised how many companies are involved so far with Kelsch and the Bonneville Hotel RFPs. I think there is another month until they are due so it will be a while before we know more.

One restaurant that could be an option for Exit # 113 partly because they are open 24 hrs. Is the Village Inn. They serve breakfast all day. We should see more interesting things happening this year

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 03-07-2016 at 10:49 AM..

Old 03-08-2016, 10:28 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
There is a notice today to rezoned property from Agricultural to Manufacturing. The approximate location is 6500 South and 55th West. This is west of I-15 and of course at Exit #113, but west. The rezoned won't occur until almost the end of the month.

What do you think would be manufactured there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls