U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM

385 posts, read 435,246 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong -- I absolutely love Idaho and all there is to do. Finding a happy balance in Idaho Falls, increasing the options and population while keeping the charm, would be a great thing and long-time residents should embrace it. Win-win for everybody
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,831,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmp4 View Post
don't get me wrong -- i absolutely love idaho and all there is to do. Finding a happy balance in idaho falls, increasing the options and population while keeping the charm, would be a great thing and long-time residents should embrace it. Win-win for everybody
agree 100000%.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM

3,970 posts, read 12,367,537 times
There will be a new Holiday Inn Express near the Clark Street exit area in Pocatello. Groundbreaking is imminent. Hampton (Hilton), and Town Place (Marriott), already exist in this area. Clark street may eventually exceed Pocatello Creek Rd. for hotel rooms.
It makes sense Holiday Inn Express, (Intercontinental) is re-entering the market, as they sold off their older Holiday Inn on P.C. Creek to Quality a couple of years ago. Where does this leave properties like Ramada (on I-86), and the Red Lion on P.C. Creek? They will have to upgrade or risk losing to the newer properties. However, I don't have enough info, as to if either of these have upgraded in recent years.

One thing that has struck me in recent years is the trend to operate hotels near hospitals. Says a lot about our aging population. In fact, I believe EIRMC has a designated mobile home area. This was predicted back in the 50's & 60's, believe it or not. When I was a kid in the late 60's and 70's, I heard reports that this population demo would dominate in the early 2000's. They were exactly right, although not a hard prediction to make. It's almost like a long-term weather prediction that was right on the mark.

It may not be a glamorous job, but health care, both assisted, and beyond, is highly demanded right now. And will probably be for the next twenty+ years.

Last edited by pw72; 06-20-2013 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
There will be a new Holiday Inn Express near the Clark Street exit area in Pocatello. Groundbreaking is imminent. Hampton (Hilton), and Town Place (Marriott), already exist in this area. Clark street may eventually exceed Pocatello Creek Rd. for hotel rooms.
It makes sense Holiday Inn Express, (Intercontinental) is re-entering the market, as they sold off their older Holiday Inn on P.C. Creek to Quality a couple of years ago. Where does this leave properties like Ramada (on I-86), and the Red Lion on P.C. Creek? They will have to upgrade or risk losing to the newer properties. However, I don't have enough info, as to if either of these have upgraded in recent years.

One thing that has struck me in recent years is the trend to operate hotels near hospitals. Says a lot about our aging population. In fact, I believe EIRMC has a designated mobile home area. This was predicted back in the 50's & 60's, believe it or not. When I was a kid in the late 60's and 70's, I heard reports that this population demo would dominate in the early 2000's. They were exactly right, although not a hard prediction to make. It's almost like a long-term weather prediction that was right on the mark.

It may not be a glamorous job, but health care, both assisted, and beyond, is highly demanded right now. And will probably be for the next twenty+ years.
Sorry, pw72. I have to correct the myth in what you wrote. I understand to someone not familiar with the area long that the increasing number of 5th wheels, camp trailers and other types of mobile homes it can be confusing. All mobile homes are for MEDICAL purposes for acute patients or their immediate families.

For example, high risk moms who could either be in the hospital or avoid hospitalization by staying in a motor home and able to get help in 2-3 minutes, stay in many while their babies get old enough to deliver and/or the mom's medical conditions stabilize enough to deliver.

2. Families of patients in the ICU stay in those homes. The hospital owns none, to the best of my knowledge. It's what individuals have, can borrow or rent. For a multi-month ICU hospitalization where loved ones can't be far away, it makes sense.

With the $500K remodeling project for EIRMC ICU, the demand will only get worse for space to park vehicles. I don't think the building permit was that specific but I know the $500k is adding more ICU patient rooms where cardio-pulmonary rehab use to be. If these patterns continue, I'd look for an addition to EIRMC in about 2 years. There isn't much more they can remodel and move to add rooms where they need them.

Being an ACS Certified Trauma II Center, and now with the PICU let alone IIIb NICU and adult ICU, hospitals like EIRMC, with more services and acute care have patients living in trailers/mobile homes in designated areas. And there is a healthy addition to the medical community starting next month to cover the needs of patients.

The facilities on 25th East (AKA Hitt Road south) and around that area are for aging adults. Some NICE facilities in that area.

I hope that helps. I'm not trying to be obnoxious, just clarify the facts of how great the need already is for the trailer/mobile home area at EIRMC. I was looking at it last week wondering where they would expand all of the "campers" on the hospital campus.

MSR

Old 06-21-2013, 11:32 PM

No, thanks for your info MSR. I just drive by and I guess jump to conclusions. However, I stand by my statement that hotels are popping up around major hospitals. For reasons that are obvious.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
No, thanks for your info MSR. I just drive by and I guess jump to conclusions. However, I stand by my statement that hotels are popping up around major hospitals. For reasons that are obvious.
Thanks pw for understanding what I explained.

I do agree with you about certain statements, but for different reasons. As for the Geriatric Crowd, absolutely look at all the Assisted Living or Skilled Nursing facilities close to EIRMC and many doctor's office. Every facility, home health or hospice ALL have to have medical directors and patients get transported for doctor's appointments, tests and sometimes higher level of care ( hospitalization). It makes sense for multiple reasons to have them in the area.

I agree care of an aging population has job security for some. With Obamacare being implemented, right now the most in-demand position currently is a CNA. Nursing and other therapies are changing to have fewer with more advanced licenses and more with less training. One other degree in hot demand is a COTA, Certified Occupational Therapy Aide. In the therapies it use to be ( and still is with some private offices) provided by one PT or OT all the time. Now, PT, OT and I think SLP only have to have a Masters level clinician evaluate once a week. Other assessments are once monthly. So it's a different world now.

I know - I had ~ 10 of intense inpatient rehab last year after surgery. The majority of my treatment was from Physical Therapy Aides and COTAs.

Idaho Falls will soon have a new facility that will offer acute care rehab as a transition from acute hospital care to intensive therapies, depend on the reason for admission, and as the step between the hospital and home. It will be much nicer than where I was out- of-state. I think it's named Teton Post Acute Care. It can be for all types of patients who need intensive therapies. I had 3 hrs. of PT/OT daily seven days a week. I guess I got about 1.5-2.0 hrs. on Sundays.

Due both to my work and my fairly recent post-surgery experience knowing who provided my treatment I think it's worthwhile to tell others the reality of treatment now.

It also helps workers to be close to various facilities. All of those factors do add to why facilities for aging seniors are building closer to hospitals.

MSR

Old 06-22-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I also agree with you about the hotels bldg closer to hospitals for two other reasons.

First, I do agree as more doctors build or occupy offices closer to the hospital that exit/ road becomes the road with more traffic. Prior to the fights that finally resulted in Pocatello Regional being sold, partially torn down and remodeled, Portneuf was built there. Previously, where Bannock Memorial was the facility with more services that Pocatello Regional, Creek and Clark were the major access streets to the hospital and most doctors offices.

Also, while I'm not positive about this, I think some rezoning happened where the Poky Hampton and other blogs have been built.

There certainly are some patients who stay in hotels post hospitalization or their families while they are inpatient. But more than that group there are other patients, such as plastic surgery, certain types of sleep testing etc. that need to stay close to their doctors for bandage re-wraps and other needed for 2-3 days. Certainly some surgeons are even bldg their own offices next to hotels so patients can get what they need.

But mostly, the hotels are for drug reps, others who work with specialized devices or equipment in surgery or treatment. Plus others stay close to hospitals while temporarily working as a traveling professional at the hospital. I know, I've done the traveling clinics, including Idaho Falls when I lived in UT. I know who was checking in and out. There are also about 1/2 tourists, at least in IF, who wanted to be close to a mall and restaurants.

Finally, while rules changed about so many things when Pres Obama took office, the hotels usually have meeting rooms that are used to teach smaller groups of health care workers in a more relaxed setting.

There may be even more reasons than I listed, but I know from experience the above groups are who use the hotels, along with regular guests. Hampton is the #1 hotel for leisure travelers. I believe the Holiday Inn group is rated high too.

So find out what is going to be built where the bldg was on 17th and Jeppson. If it's a restaurant, I know no name was given. I can't think of any hundreds of thousands $ permits on 17th street.

And a new bldg. in Snake Rivers Landing of unknown origin, your detective work is much appreciated, ow .

MSR

Old 06-23-2013, 08:18 PM

Drug reps? Interesting.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Drug reps? Interesting.
Absolutely. It was a blast when we'd be in the same hotels with reps we knew. But those were few and far between having the same rep in 2 states, given ID's growth. But there plenty of others from all sorts of specialties.

There are many "device reps" too. For practical purposes similar to drug reps. However, device reps often have to be at a location longer and the devices are usually surgery or intervential procedures usually take longer. I remember a few years back when one of the interventional cardiology companies brought essentially a 5th wheel or bigger trailer along with national experts to certify the local cardiologists in a certain interventional technique. The trailer was essentially a mock Interventional Room where locals can learn.

There are others in medical marketing/ support besides drug and device reps. but it gets kind of complicated to explain more.

Plus the specialty clinics. EIRMC is the only hospital to offer GYN Oncologists to perform GYN cancer surgeries in Idaho. Those docs and covering MFM' etc. usually prefer to stay closer to the hospital.

Poky will have a higher % of tourists at those hotels than IF/Ammon do.

MSR

Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 PM

On another subject, I noted the old ag building across from the former KIDK on 17th has been torn down. Is this the old Wells drilling site? If so, "Idaho Falls Projects" reports a specialty grocery. Hmm. Whole Foods? Anyone know what is going in there? T

The old KIDK property is still for sale according to signage.

Last edited by pw72; 06-24-2013 at 08:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Idaho Falls
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or